Download speeds

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Download speeds

Post by AZgl1800 »

My ISP plan is for 10mbps, they allow me to have 11.1 Mbps on occasion depending on time of day.

My issue though, has to do with File Downloads.
they are always capped at 1.3mbps

I am downloading a file now with Torrent, on occasion, a packet comes thru at 1.5mbps
but usually the average 1.2 to 1.3 mbps

Is this normal for your ISP ?

I am on a telephone copper pair DSL

Upload speeds are a joke, capped at 0.9 Mbps
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Download speeds

Post by Pierre »

which US ISP are you currently with ?.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:37 am My ISP plan is for 10mbps, they allow me to have 11.1 Mbps on occasion depending on time of day.

My issue though, has to do with File Downloads.
they are always capped at 1.3mbps
Wrong. Your ISP plan is for 10 mbps, which equals 1.3 MB/s (1.25 to be exact). Question of units. ISPs like to market the high numbers, so they use megaBIT per second, but your download client shows you the more useful megaBYTE per second.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 amISPs like to market the high numbers, so they use megaBIT per second, but your download client shows you the more useful megaBYTE per second.
Don't let the hard disk manufacturers know this! They will be marketing us terabit drives next...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:15 am
gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 amISPs like to market the high numbers, so they use megaBIT per second, but your download client shows you the more useful megaBYTE per second.
Don't let the hard disk manufacturers know this! They will be marketing us terabit drives next...
Well, they already got their SI vs IEC units scam going on so I don't think they need help in that respect. :lol:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:15 am
It's alright. We're so ignorant and mal-informed in this country that manufacturers can go ahead and make any kind of claim they want, then point the finger of blame at someone else, and we'll probably go along with it.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 am which US ISP are you currently with ?.
Don't think they have a store in AU :lol:

It is AT&T who now owns DirecTV and Turner Broadcasting, and searching for other things to gobble up.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:00 am
Wrong. Your ISP plan is for 10 mbps, which equals 1.3 MB/s (1.25 to be exact). Question of units. ISPs like to market the high numbers, so they use megaBIT per second, but your download client shows you the more useful megaBYTE per second.
you got me, I was forgetting the bits vs the bytes....
had a good argument with the AT&T tech about that last year.... he was more confused than I was....

I just downloaded a new ISO with BitTorrent and was watching the packets....
and interesting way to while your time away.

packet speeds from 1.5 kbps to 1.54 mbps (bytes)
the Time Remaining counter kept jumping around from 15 minutes to 27 minutes...
overall, the whole elapsed time was 25 minutes, and with a straight download it always takes 34 minutes.

so, BitTorrent worked out faster for me this time.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:41 am
Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:46 am which US ISP are you currently with ?.
Don't think they have a store in AU :lol:
- - maybe you should be in AU - - as most, if not all of the local ISPs are in a bun-fight, ATM,,
and Now is the Best Time, ever,, to move ISPs 8) just did so,, myself. :D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 am - - maybe you should be in AU - - as most, if not all of the local ISPs are in a bun-fight, ATM,,
and Now is the Best Time, ever,, to move ISPs 8) just did so,, myself. :D
Unfortunately, here in my rural location we have:

AT&T DSL with 10Mbps max at $60/month unlimited use.

Two Radio WiFi ISPs that can provide up to 5Mbps depending on how close you are to the Radio Tower. Signal to Noise Ratio is the controlling factor and their rates are 50% higher than AT&T.

ViaSat which can provide up to 100Mbps at the best time of day and the cost for that is prohibitive at the following rates:

The gossip channels report that those 100Mbps speeds are more fiction than truth during the times that most people are awake and trying to use the internet. One "gentleman" said that even though he had the premium plan at 100Mbps, that he is lucky to get 5Mbps during normal waking hours... he claimed that the only times you will see 100Mbps is between 0200-0500 hours in the A.M.

ViaSat has a neat little super fine print that you can gloss over, all too easy:

On the Unlimited Bronze 12, Silver 25, Gold 50, and Platinum
100 service plans, after 40, 60, 100, or 150 GB of data usage,
respectively, we may prioritize your data behind other
customers during network congestion.

And I suspect that right there is what the Gentleman was alluding to, that his download rates are pathetic compared to what he is paying for.

ViaSat's rate for the lowest plan of 12Mbps which is 20% faster than my plan, costs $20 more per month that what I pay AT&T.... my sole reason for staying with AT&T is that, the majority of the time, I can always get 9-10.5 Mbps any time of the day...

AT&T has outages that frustrate us to no end. They are a telephone company, and their copper wires are in the ground, and Backhoes love to dig up telephone cables... or, the local plumber is digging a trench with a Ditch Witch trencher and saws thru anything that is not at least 3 feet deep.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:08 amTwo Radio WiFi ISPs that can provide up to 5Mbps depending on how close you are to the Radio Tower. Signal to Noise Ratio is the controlling factor and their rates are 50% higher than AT&T.
You just need a bigger antenna!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Post by 1.618 »

I'm UK based and I pay roughly £26.50 for 40mb/s fiber to the cabinet -copper to the premises.

99% of the time my router will show I am recieving 40mb/s downspeed and 10 mb/s upspeed, rarely that drops to 39 and 9.9 respectively.

When I download files though the file manager usually caps at 4.4 mb/s. I can get a mint ISO in roughly 6 minutes or a decent quality movie on a torrent in 4. If i use my ISP dns I notice they start to throttle it and after a few days it will become laggy so I change my DNS frequently and it seems to keep the speeds up.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

AZgl1500 wrote:Unfortunately, here in my rural location we have:

AT&T DSL with 10Mbps max at $60/month unlimited use.
I think it should be DSL with 10mbps or 1Mbps or 120kbps or 12kBps(.?), as per ... https://www.att.net/speedtiers

1Mbps is a bit slow, eg it will take you about 4 hours to download the 1.8GB LM 19 iso file.
....... Live-streaming videos in HD/720p will be quite impossible, ie a lot of video stuttering/buffering = need at least 2Mbps.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Another variable in this is the speed of the server that your downloading from. If theirs is slow and many people are downloading from them, it can cause a bottleneck. Most servers don't have that problem anymore, but some places still have slower connections.

For example, we have a max of 10 Mbps download, but when I download Mint ISOs from the closest mirror, I get around 1 Mbps.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Next time try using the torrent download. This is often faster and has the benefit of being more reliably.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:33 am Next time try using the torrent download. This is often faster and has the benefit of being more reliably.
But downloading torrents is more susceptible to viruses/malware = crucial to do a checksum verification. ... https://www.wikihow.com/Safely-Download-Torrents
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 am
xenopeek wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:33 am Next time try using the torrent download. This is often faster and has the benefit of being more reliably.
But downloading torrents is more susceptible to viruses/malware = crucial to do a checksum verification. ... https://www.wikihow.com/Safely-Download-Torrents
Torrents have built-in checksum verification for each downloaded chunk so it's actually safer in that respect than the HTTP download. You should however verify each download no matter how you got it.
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

What MPAA shill wrote that? :lol:

Linux Mint torrents are created by Linux Mint and using them will give you automatic download error detection & correction. As with any ISO download you should verify the ISO checksum after downloading but the chance of problems is a lot smaller than with direct download through web browser.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

JerryF wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:23 am Another variable in this is the speed of the server that your downloading from. If theirs is slow and many people are downloading from them, it can cause a bottleneck. Most servers don't have that problem anymore, but some places still have slower connections.

For example, we have a max of 10 Mbps download, but when I download Mint ISOs from the closest mirror, I get around 1 Mbps.
Hence, avoid downloading LM iso that has just been released = wait a few weeks until there is less server traffic congestion of mirror sites.

When downloading huge files, avoid peak periods, ie 7pm to 12pm local time.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am What MPAA shill wrote that? :lol:
That's what I thought actually. :lol:

Return to “Open Chat”