Download speeds

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Download speeds

Post by xenopeek »

Other benefit of torrent download is you can start it and shutdown your computer while it is running to continue the download on another day.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Well, most servers allow HTTP resume so little difference there.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:03 am Torrents have built-in checksum verification for each downloaded chunk so it's actually safer in that respect than the HTTP download. You should however verify each download no matter how you got it.
for me, a straight HTTP download runs at a solid 1.3mbps and takes approx 34 minutes to get a Mint ISO.

I tried a Torrent for the last two, and they do shave a bit of time off of that, around 25 minutes it seemed.

I try different mirrors to see if any of them are better than others, but most of them give me the same exact download speed. Choosing the "closest one" by miles don't make a bit of difference. I once downloaded an ISO from the Netherlands just to see if it would, nope, still the same as using the university 150 miles away from me.

I have made a habit out of always checking the errors with gtkHash , that tool makes it so simple.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

where i am at, i get consistant 67 to 68 mbps speeds for 54.95 USD from my internet provider...that also includes home phone service w/ voice mail with battery backup for phone when electricity goes down, and no cap limits...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:27 am where i am at, i get consistant 67 to 68 mbps speeds for 54.95 USD from my internet provider...that also includes home phone service w/ voice mail with battery backup for phone when electricity goes down, and no cap limits...DAMIEN
that just makes me ill, and wish I still had Cox Cable fiber internet.
I pay $60/month for 10Mbps/month
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm pretty amazed people are willing to put up with really poor service for something that's pretty much become part of humankind's infrastructure at this point. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it's kind of like living where you have no or unreliable electricity.

There is going to come a point, surely, where future generations will either demand better service, or there will be whole swaths of areas simply de-populated on the basis of the lack of modern common services.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:35 pm I'm pretty amazed people are willing to put up with really poor service for something that's pretty much become part of humankind's infrastructure at this point. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it's kind of like living where you have no or unreliable electricity.

There is going to come a point, surely, where future generations will either demand better service, or there will be whole swaths of areas simply de-populated on the basis of the lack of modern common services.
the problem we have here in the USA is huge areas of open agricultural land with extremely low population density.
the infrastructure required to provide any internet service at all, is cost prohibitive.
Where I am, you need only travel a few miles off a main highway in any direction and the internet just seizes to exist.
When that happens, the satellites systems or a Telecom 2g, 3g, 4g, service are your only recourse.

5g service here is a joke, it only exists in 2 metropolitan areas in the entire USA.
I am on Verizon and have a 5g modem, but it has never, ever, reported 5g, I see 3g and 4g most of the time.

at home, I have copper wire ADSL and lucky to have that, as I am only ~5,000 lineal copper wire feet from the main telephone switch center. At 20,000 lineal feet, ADSL simply does not exist. My community is called a "town", not a city. Our population is less than 1,200 for an area of 5 square miles. Beyond that, the population density falls off fast as this is farming and cattle ranching country. A farm of 5 square miles and one house, don't rate a fibre cable internet. They just suck it in, and pay for Telephone wireless modem service, or satellite service, or do without period.

Countries with high population density enjoy fibre optic cable and speeds into the stratosphere.
For me, I will never see that in my lifetime.

this is our Satellite service, and I can't afford it.

BTW, those reported speeds are a dream in your mother's eyes. during normal waking hours, the demand exceeds the satellite's capability to deliver... it is a WiFi service, over load it, and bandwidth suffers, and Bit Error rates get bad fast.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Exede (now Viasat) offers different options depending on locality. I am sure they leverage this to their full advantage.
@AZgl1500 +1 on the three options-I have considered each--also living at the far reaches of copper dsl (1.5mb maybe).
I have satellite 12MB/150GB/mo package. Mostly during the day I get 17 or 18 mb, but during prime sometimes only 1.5 mb.
I pay $86/mo
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

all41 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:05 am Exede (now Viasat) offers different options depending on locality. I am sure they leverage this to their full advantage.
@AZgl1500 +1 on the three options-I have considered each--also living at the far reaches of copper dsl (1.5mb maybe).
I have satellite 12MB/150GB/mo package. Mostly during the day I get 17 or 18 mb, but during prime sometimes only 1.5 mb.
I pay $86/mo
you are the first "verified" user of ViaSat that I know of.
I have read some reports on Facebook, but those folks usually aren't tech types, and I have to read between the lines/words. :(

My avocation has been in communications since 1958, retired in 2010...
worked in two-way radio at first, then along came microwaves, then this new thing called "the internet" about 1988?
prior to that, I wrote BBS software for CompuServe type BBS systems .

when home computers really became a thing in 1990, I sprung for an x386 something, after having sold off Mr. Apple's junk pile that he was grossly overcharging us for... his price schedule caused me to dump 5 of his junk piles forever, took the money and bought a 286 for less than Apple wanted for a memory board.

wow, has the computer world changed since then.

sometimes, I really regret not accepting IBM's offer to put me to work for them back in 1968.... they asked me twice during my final year of college... guess they saw something that I didn't. I was hung up on Ham Radio and wanting to deal only with Radios.... sigh!!!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:39 am
vy 73 de K0ZZY
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

It was interesting to read what internet speeds are available in other countries and the charges involved. Bundles always muddle any issues and it becomes increasingly harder to negotiate a clear and mutually satisfactory outcome.

As to distances and population density, Australia is about the size of the USA but has only a very small population in comparison. Rural areas are not blessed with some of the technology available to city dwellers, so where I live, in the country, there is no digital radio and relatively slow internet speed.

My ISP provides me, for a reasonable fee, with VoIP telephony, answering service, fibre to the node internet, unmetered Linux Mint downloads and updates as well as a support service without equal.
Download is capped at 100 GB which is more than enough for me. I maintain 5 computers in this household and they are all up-to-date :D

The bottom line though is, as the size of a Linux Mint download increases with each new version, what used to take 2 1/2 hours on ADSL now takes only 15 minutes.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I sustain downloads at 1.5 to 2.5 mb throughput so yes about 15 min for a Mint iso.
But 650 ms ping times suck. Can't argue physics though.
Hoping someday for the low orbit satellite technology.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

._._.
de k5awo

licensed 1958, stepped thru the grades to Extra in 1981.

got my FCC Radio Telephone First Class license in 1959,
at that time, we had to draw free hand a television transmitter,
and a typical receiver that an Amateur Radio operator might build for himself.

Loving this thread, thanks guys.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Selection_003.jpg
I live in the sticks also and the Co-op is forcing all off DSL onto fibre. I went from 5mbs / 250k up to 50mbs/50mbs fibre for the same price :D
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

HaveaMint wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:24 am Selection_003.jpg
I live in the sticks also and the Co-op is forcing all off DSL onto fibre. I went from 5mbs / 250k up to 50mbs/50mbs fibre for the same price :D
OMG, where do you live?
I would be on the 100Mbps plan real quick, just a couple bux over what I pay for 10Mbps DSL
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I have Cox cable, because that is the only provider currently servicing my neighborhood. I have the 300Mb/s plan. I have been rather salty lately because I have used websites and apps which check download speeds and the best I have gotten on either has been around 30 - 37. So I wonder if, as mentioned previously, it is because Cox advertises as 300 Megabits/second and the websites and app shows Megabytes/second? Hmmm.... If not, Cox has some explaining to do as to why they are charging me for 300 but not providing anywhere near 300. And yes, I tested this while everyone else in the house was asleep so that my device was the only one using bandwidth.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

just about all ISPs use the "higher" sounding numbers as found in the term mbps (megabits per second)...people on the other hand tend to use and think in terms of mps (megabytes per second) an easy scale to translate this into real numbers we can all understand is this...10 mbps (megabits per second) is equal to 1.25 mps (megabytes per second)...just do the math from there...DAMIEN
thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone »

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I live in a rural area of southeast Texas. My ISP is Comcast/Infinity which provides me with high speed internet via a cable modem with WiFi capabilities.

My Ping in MS is 8 seconds. My download speed is 178 Mbps and my upload speed is 5.94 Mbps.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Night Wing wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 pm I live in a rural area of southeast Texas. My ISP is Comcast/Infinity which provides me with high speed internet via a cable modem with WiFi capabilities.

My Ping in MS is 8 seconds. My download speed is 178 Mbps and my upload speed is 5.94 Mbps.
divide those numbers by 100 and you have what I have................
yeah, we are so rural, the post office can't find us.

Return to “Open Chat”