Best choice for a used/refurbed Linux friendly laptop?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
borg101

Best choice for a used/refurbed Linux friendly laptop?

Post by borg101 »

Up until this point I have been giving my 13 year old son a few 5-7 year old laptops to play with. I've been emphasizing Linux and open source for a few years now. Now he wants to venture into video editing and 3d modeling. I'm looking for ideas for something in the $400-$500 (USD) price range and nothing seems to be good specs for the price. I've never bought hardware off eBay before nor looked into refurbed laptops. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Best choice for a used/refurbed Linux friendly laptop?

Post by AndyMH »

You can't go wrong with a Thinkpad!
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

+1 for Thinkpads. Bought an ex-lease T450s several years ago and it hasn't missed a beat!
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
borg101

Post by borg101 »

tenfoot wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:39 pm +1 for Thinkpads. Bought an ex-lease T450s several years ago and it hasn't missed a beat!
Holy crap! I'm looking at some of the buy it now prices for the specs....seems almost too good to be true. I bought my wife a Lenovo Yogabook 3 or 4 years ago and I am still impressed with the performance as "dated" as it is. Thanks for the tip guys!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Main machine is a T430 that I put an i7 in (std is an i5-3320). Just bought another T430 for £125 with 4G RAM, w/o HDD. Upped the RAM to 8G and put in a 240G SSD, total outlay around £200. So with your budget should be able to get a T440 or T450. If you go for a Thinkpad, worth checking specs or asking on the Thinkpad forum on upgradeability - some models have the CPU soldered in, some not, also some have only 1 DIMM slot. Different flavours of screen resolution.

I've had Thinkpads for over a decade, long before I came to mint. Reliable, excellent build quality, upgradeable, parts easy to get, mint installs 'out of the box' on the older models.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

I've had good luck with Dell's over the years (handed down to me). I think Dell knows how to do Linux since they also sell units with Linux already installed (Ubuntu). I seen refurbed's for sale but never really compared to anything. S/b hardware compatible with Mint.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I've always had a good run out of Toshiba, so you have many choices out there. I would opt for a brand name rather than an obscure piece that has fantastic spec for the price. That way, at least you can expect some support into the future.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

just about all of my "brand-name" PCs are from Lenovo,, - - most Laptops, though.
& I've found them to work well with most Linux Systems.
:)
they were all Ex Win Vista Business Grade machine,, from a local auction house.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

I'd recommend Lenovo thinkpad.

I had a Toshiba and it was OK but ultimately problematic in several areas.

The thinkpad I have now is just great.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

+1 on ThinkPad and try to get one with Intel wifi so everything works without any fiddling at all.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

+1 on ThinkPad and try to get one with Intel wifi so everything works without any fiddling at all.
Other things to think about, most have 1366x768 screens, try to get on with 1600x900. Bluetooth is an option, I have three T430's two have it, one doesn't. The DVD/CDRW drive in the ultrabay is an option. Nearly all come with the integrated intel graphics, a few have a separate nVidia graphics chip.

Return to “Open Chat”