So, what's a high-end CELL phone that has ports for more drive memory that came out in the lalst year to 3 years

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
fruitkiller

So, what's a high-end CELL phone that has ports for more drive memory that came out in the lalst year to 3 years

Post by fruitkiller »

Not a smartphone. It's all in the title. Never owned a smartphone, but I must get a quality...I see high quality regular cell phones from 2014 on ebay but I can't get sure, and some of the companies can't tell me if a model I buy will work with them, it's all random.

I want up to 64gb drive for music in it, they exist, but Apple and wannabe-Apple ahem, people, apparently don't care if there is zero ports on their computer devices so that they don't use those evil ethernet cables that are not a health hazard for some, will be even more when 5G becomes the standard, I turn off the functionality on my modem, they were early in the game, forced to use that modem (welll technically I could use pfSense and a couple other options, but it's modem/router for an FTTH connection, there's a device I was not familiar with I had to drill a hole in the wall, a square, so the tech could install it...the ONT? I think, I should surf dslreports more again.

I want SMS

I want a normal keyboard either in both sides or one you press outwards and pop up.

No internet, not even the possibility of internet.
I know back then there were phones supporting MSN messenger even if they didn't allow other internet usage, if I could do that with Pidgin, I would but that's it.

I stand by integrity and those laws they invent that already exist just to make the accusation list longer (no danger of that for me, but you all know what it means and I'm not even American, I'm Canadian, laws aren't as evil here, but the US rummages through Canada, as we rummage through the US and UK and NZ and OZ..you know. Also the more spooky internet of things that spot your smartphone when you enter the door and want to make you follow a map to "the new bargains that may be of interest to you", I don't want that at all.

Just a cell phone like that, hell my friend who's as much of a music maniac as me back then, I was really jealous of his Samsung something, black and orange, with a 40gb hard drive in it, he put all of his mp3's and there was a lot of keys regarding the stereo system that thing really was, you could hook it up to a sound system or usb to a computer that has one. Also had speakers that were not bad, that were sounding FM radio quality enough for a few people in a room to enjoy it.

Something similar to what's still possible to run with their damn battery they have to randomly check for '10s regular cellphones. Cos I called the company (Virgin Mobile) to get something like I had before, not only do they work by a fixed monthly plan now, when they didn't, you just bought your monthly time every 30 days deciding how much you wanted to put on it the next month, it's perfect for someone who hates talking on the phone, but I need one, half the reason is SMS messages for those invasive sites like even Ebay these days who want you to verify (at least you can dismiss it) your account on ebay, which is not something someone's who's not a seller would want to give out some cell number to just to get a SMS. But I also want a phone/mp3 player, as I tend to do 15 miles of walking everyday to lose this sudden small gut development ¬_¬
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: So, what's a high-end CELL phone that has ports for more drive memory that came out in the lalst year to 3 years

Post by Portreve »

Oh, where to even begin with this...

First and foremost, you'll simply have to do extensive research on the specifics of any particular cell phone under consideration. So-called "dumb" cell phones, whether brick, flip, or if you can even get one the in-between "multimedia" phones are very much a mixed bag. Some you might be able to mount directly on your computer as a storage device, others you won't be able to. Some might take microSD cards, some don't. This all depends upon the unholy combination of what range of features the phone maker decided to make available, and what subset of those features a given carrier wanted to have enabled.

Frankly, why would you want a regular cell phone at this point for anyhow? I mean, I miss my old Macintosh Plus, but I'd never want another one.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: So, what's a high-end CELL phone that has ports for more drive memory that came out in the lalst year to 3 years

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 pm Frankly, why would you want a regular cell phone at this point for anyhow?
I can imagine wanting the battery life and the real physical buttons of a nonsmart phone. My partner has one for these reasons and because of its sturdiness (it's a Sonim, marketed as a 'builder's phone'). Remember when you'd have to charge your phone once a week? I do and it was nice.

(I did not read the original post entirely.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 pm Oh, where to even begin with this...

First and foremost, you'll simply have to do extensive research on the specifics of any particular cell phone under consideration. So-called "dumb" cell phones, whether brick, flip, or if you can even get one the in-between "multimedia" phones are very much a mixed bag. Some you might be able to mount directly on your computer as a storage device, others you won't be able to. Some might take microSD cards, some don't. This all depends upon the unholy combination of what range of features the phone maker decided to make available, and what subset of those features a given carrier wanted to have enabled.

Frankly, why would you want a regular cell phone at this point for anyhow? I mean, I miss my old Macintosh Plus, but I'd never want another one.
Because I don't need a smartphone, I hate talking on the phone, I rather text/chat... I have 4 desktops, 3 laptops (one whose screen can be detached as a tablet, rarely done) and my fiance's actual Asus Tablet which isn't bad at all, it can actually understand my fingers. I can barely dial on a phone where you have to touch the screen, I'm like 6'3 and the burly kind, not the tall and thin as hell skateboard-ready human being. My big hands can't deal with all androids I have touched to try to dial a phone number that wasn't in those people's list, people don't even know what numbers they call, i'm sorry, giving me caller ID only to have a name show up, not for me. Also all the extremely invasive spying done by stores as you enter them, I already gave an example about this in my OP and everything else.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Unloc ... Swh1paM-VO

A cable company that became an ISP early on in 98, cable modem 10/10 or dial up and free usenet that was pretty awesome, they have to fix their upload speeds for me to go back to them, their plans suck, but I noticed that everyone who has a cell phone with that eastern canadian ISP and cell phone and cable company these days, they're pretty much always Motorolas, this one seemed okay to start with, they told me, yeah we support GSM, not a pro at all about phone protocols, but I think GSM is on the way out or already out in many american companies, but they told me they carry GSM phones with no end in sight.

I've given you my reasons. What they tell me is they need to test their SIM card in them to know if they will work with them, it doesn't help them to give them model numbers at all, which is frustrating. That ISP's cell service is the cheapest if you just want a cell phone account with sms, have your phone say confidential or such on other people's caller ID, I checked and it would be barely 25 bucks a month for unlimited day/night/weekend, I just need to bring the thing for them to put a SIM card in it to see if it works. Which sucks, hence asking for your help :?

Return to “Open Chat”