Microsoft to drive even more users to Linux with DesktopAsAService

Chat about just about anything else
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Microsoft to drive even more users to Linux with DesktopAsAService

Post by jimallyn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Apparently Microsoft is now breaking all of its stuff into separate modules, which you will have to rent. It will be a cold day on the Sun before I use that. Let's see, they'll have rent a kernel, rent a desktop, rent a word processor, rent a browser.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... ow-it.html

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Microsoft to drive even more users to Linux with DesktopAsAService

Post by catweazel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:00 pm

jimallyn wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 pm
Apparently Microsoft is now breaking all of its stuff into separate modules, which you will have to rent. It will be a cold day on the Sun before I use that. Let's see, they'll have rent a kernel, rent a desktop, rent a word processor, rent a browser.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... ow-it.html
Hi, Jim

Thanks for the link.
By 2021, I expect the Managed Desktop to be to traditional Windows what Office 365 is to Office today: the wave of the future.
I'm not sure that that observation by the author is an accurate reflection of the future. Due to its web implementation, Office 365 has major limitations so it's necessary to run Office 2016 alongside it to get back a lot of the missing functionality not provided by O365. O365 is also excruciatingly slow. It's strength is in collaboration and remote access to O365 and your files on OneDrive, but the downer is that you have to deliberately save your files to OneDrive if you also need the functionality of Office 2016. It will be fine for corporate or enterprise use, but for the common man, I can't help thinking Microsoft have got it completely wrong.

Cheers.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Post by thx-1138 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:36 pm

jimallyn wrote:
...from the same author, back in April 2017:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... linux.html

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 pm

Microsoft knows it has businesses by the throat with Office and lots of software that will only run on Windows that businesses depend upon. So I expect they will push the business and government sector the hardest. Finally, they will leave no other option for the home user.
I can see why MS wants to do it from a money-making perspective. But I can't see why anyone who has even heard of Linux would go along with it. In the end you will have many users going full Android & Apple, using their phones for everything. We have been headed there for awhile now. Power users and enthusiasts will be using Linux.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:49 pm

thx-1138 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:36 pm
jimallyn wrote:
...from the same author, back in April 2017:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... linux.html
Hmmm...
I should also mention there’s a new version of Windows 10, dubbed “Cloud,” coming. Don’t be misled by the name. This appears to be a re-baked version of the failed Windows RT. It looks like it has the same goal: grabbing back market share from Chromebooks. Good luck with that, Microsoft.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 pm

a friend of mine runs a Graphic Arts Sign Design shop and right now, it is on Win10.

this:
Take the Windows 10 April 2018 Update — please! It came with more than its fair share of bugs. What was especially annoying was that “Update” fouled up so many of Microsoft’s own programs. When even Word, Outlook and File Explorer lock up, you know you’ve got a mess on your hands.
coincides exactly with when her PC locked up tight and destroyed the data structures on both of her backup hard drives. it cost her a pretty penny to go thru 4 forensic data recovery "experts" before she got 20 years worth of work back into her hands.

She rebuilt that PC 3 times, and each time, when the updates came thru, and of course she is not able to stop that from happening, the PC crashed again.... 3 times in a row.

She threatened MS with a lawsuit and they fixed her PC, it is running now, but she is now building up a new box and wants guidance on installing Linux to get the hell away from MicroSloth forever.

She has 3 huge machines drawing artwork on plastic wraps for cars, boats, businesses, etc....
and more machines that automatically sew stitch work onto hats for ball teams, etc.... I was just there yesterday and she is not a happy camper. She lost weeks of work while all that crap was being rebuilt and recovered.

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:59 am

I wonder what graphics software she is using.

CorelDraw, for example has been the staple of many shops, especially where computer controlled external hardware like plotters, vinyl cutters, etc., are concerned.

What's the degree to which software useful to her and businesses like hers is available for GNU+Linux? What's device support look like?

I think areas like these are potentials for our developer community to pursue.
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:07 am

She said it is all vector driven, and she is using CorelDraw in the Cloud.
she is pretty sure that part of it won't matter even though she is in Linux,
I am going to have her try it from my laptop first before she goes over the deep end.

Tomorrow I am going to see if I can get access to her PC long enough to get into the Registry and block the Updates forever.

she is also having problems with slowness of the whole operation, just the one PC is driving everything, and her connection to the world is a Radio WiFi service with a top speed of 5Mbps...

out here in our rural area, cable internet is a dream we will never see.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 am

DesktoOS-Market-SHare.png
If you assume this new Microsoft offering reaches the retail user rather than just the enterprise for which it was created maybe it will be enough for the Linux Desktop to overtake its arch nemesis: Unknown.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:22 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:07 am
she is pretty sure that part of it won't matter even though she is in Linux
Probably not, but nevertheless, it's always worth trying Inkscape. It's very powerful. Plenty of folks use it for vector graphics even in Windows.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AndyMH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AndyMH » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 am

Been a long time user of CorelDraw, ever since it came out. Certainly not expert, I just dabble. I do have inkscape installed, but I've got CorelDraw X7 running in a win7 VM. Even under crossover, it rates as rubbish - won't install. Maybe a VM is the solution?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T420 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:07 am

jimallyn wrote:
As I read it, this is for enterprise users and will likely be pitched as a way to save money by having Microsoft manage the updates instead of own IT department staff. Deeper vendor lock-in? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Bigger companies often use software held together with tape and old chewing gum that the barest (untested) update can break. If Microsoft will manage the updates, they won't do the kind of testing and planning the IT department did.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:27 am

xenopeek wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:07 am
jimallyn wrote:
As I read it, this is for enterprise users and will likely be pitched as a way to save money by having Microsoft manage the updates instead of own IT department staff. Deeper vendor lock-in? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Bigger companies often use software held together with tape and old chewing gum that the barest (untested) update can break. If Microsoft will manage the updates, they won't do the kind of testing and planning the IT department did.
Pretty much. Microsoft has been trying to gain a bigger foothold in the DaaS market for a while now. Those offerings are fine, there are customers for this, but, as you said, companies with non-standard software environments wouldn't touch this.

That article is just click bait though because Microsoft isn't going to give up the traditional market for this, it's just an additional offering.

AndyMH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AndyMH » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:46 am

Bigger companies often use software held together with tape and old chewing gum that the barest (untested) update can break
Heard about the recent debacle over here with TSB? This is just one of the many reports (it went on for weeks!):

http://www.theweek.co.uk/93365/tsb-it-c ... s-be-fixed

I'm not a customer and never will be.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T420 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Moem wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:22 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:07 am
she is pretty sure that part of it won't matter even though she is in Linux
Probably not, but nevertheless, it's always worth trying Inkscape. It's very powerful. Plenty of folks use it for vector graphics even in Windows.
I will ask her to try Inkscape on my laptop before the big push to Linux happens.

Her saving grace is she has the original crashed PC setting in a pile waiting for a new desktop case to arrive.
I will put that together with Linux on it.
She wants the two boxes side by side so she can compare Linux to Win10 and the Cloud CorelDraw

I suspect it will take her a few weeks before she is willing to dump Win10 altogether.

I am wondering about using a couple of laptops in her place to be used as servers to feed the big drawing machines?
take some of the load off of her main desktop PC.

right now, the entire shop is being run off of a single PC... and she is complaining of slowness....
a lot of that is from a 5Mbps internet connection, which is via a Radio Link.

A Question for you Graphics types here.

Which version of linux should I present to her?
Cinnamon because it looks like Windows and feels like Windows
or
Xcfe which is still strange as hell to me... I am not adjusting well to it.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:56 pm

I would suggest Cinnamon for her. Perhaps easiest to adjust to compared to Windows.
Depending upon a single computer is bad news. I don't run a business and have several laptops and two desktops. She seriously needs a back up computer.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:20 pm

KBD47 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:56 pm
I would suggest Cinnamon for her. Perhaps easiest to adjust to compared to Windows.
Depending upon a single computer is bad news. I don't run a business and have several laptops and two desktops. She seriously needs a back up computer.

I totally agree, and she now recognizes that fact.

she grew this business from her kitchen table from a single desktop and is not a guru in any sense of the word.
Life and business pressures just over-whelmed her.

I want to help her out, but need to do it in the best way....

I'm thinking the main PC for all the graphics design work,
then dumping the finished files over to separate laptops to drive the printing and CoverWrap printers...
let them run the apps to drive those big humongous machines....
that should unload a lot of work off the main PC.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:33 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:20 pm
It's probably worth posting a separate topic about that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:20 pm

I totally agree, and she now recognizes that fact.

she grew this business from her kitchen table from a single desktop and is not a guru in any sense of the word.
Life and business pressures just over-whelmed her.

I'm thinking the main PC for all the graphics design work,
then dumping the finished files over to separate laptops to drive the printing and CoverWrap printers...
let them run the apps to drive those big humongous machines....
that should unload a lot of work off the main PC.
Perhaps start a separate thread and you will get more feedback on her particular computer issues. I'm not an expert on servers, but I would think a centralized server and two laptops like you mentioned, then a sandboxed computer for back ups and testing updates. Would be great if she did not have to depend upon Windows. But if she must use Windows more redundant backups the better :)

Kreative
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kreative » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 pm

I may be able to help The Graphic Arts Sign Design Shop w/ CorelDRAW & Evil Win10 Woes?

My Inkscape trick is to convert Illustrator or CorelDRAW files to SVG.
1. Export to PDF/X-3 Format
2. Open/Import X-3 PDF with Inkscape or sK1 (sk1project.net)
*NOTE: sK1 can edit Corel .cdr, .ccx files and is wonderful for viewing the CorelDRAW Clip-Art DVD in Linux. The only downside is no thumbnails.... Luckily for me I have memorized most of the Clip-Art from my old CD8 DVD. I have been using CorelDRAW since the early days up to x4, because I never seen enough of a reason to upgrade further. That and I became a full-time Linux User. Currently using the Fedora Design Suite, but I prefer Xfce DE. I'm thinking about coming over to LM Xfce, since Red Hat has sold out to IBM.

Simple cure for the Evil Microsoft threat to freedom.... Quit whining and "Switch To Linux Mint" & enjoy freedom again.... What to do with that demonic MS CD? Make a cool list on how to destroy it and post your decision on YouTube!

Some Destructive Ideas: smash w/ a sledge hammer, burn it, microwave it, run over it or even better go into a Microsoft Store and announce: I'm Switching To Linux! Goodbye & Good-Riddance! While breaking your Windows DVD in half! NeXT Leave... Don't break anything on the way out.... If you're in the Fruity Cult also, go to the Apple Store and repeat.... Some Sheeple may iFaint, but that's normal for them. (For a clean CD/DVD break - score it first)

Return to “Open chat”