Ports scanner activity reported by router

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Ports scanner activity reported by router

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I especially love how ublock now gives me the three different levels of control much like privacy badger in the colour codes, green, black/grey, or red for fine tuning levels of acceptance...simply brilliant...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

step 3: is where you get the updates from. just like ublock gets the updates from gorhill, the undetected sites will always try to counter prevent you from being undetected, those sneaky weasels :lol: i will have to trust jspenguin that he knows his stuff. of course with more layers of privacy you get some site that do not want to cooperate, but that is the way of private browsing while still maintaining some sort of function in todays browser.

sure you can add scriptsafe (noscript for chrome) and have fun trying to navigate through some official sites that you do want information remembered. like if you buy anything from amazon or ebay they will think you are some kind of BOT trying to sneak in. they think you're bad and you thing they're bad it's a back and fourth juggle. you want sites to trust you, but you don't want them exploiting you with third parties

step 3 is necessary if you read jspenguin nano adblocker / nano defender extensions. BUT nano blocker is a fork of ublock so i will stay with the original ublockO even though they butt heads :mrgreen: some of the comments between gorhill and jspenguin are quite entertaining to say the least (i'll leave it up to you to find it out) . but nano blocker from jspenguin is suited more for developers that know their way around chrome://about/ <<< paste that in your chrome address

i would remove any bitcoin mining extensions. i tried a few but trust is an issue and i'll just stick with what i know. i also use my own enhanced /etc/hosts file compiled from many sources which is my fallback. the bitcoin mining is different from the nano blocker but incorporates well in ublockO. i have added all the mining protocols into the hosts file so i do have redundant entries, but your etc/hosts is your first line of defense. trying to edit a good hosts file is a lot of work which is why i don't use any Multipurpose lists in ublock. i take all those entries and post them in my hosts. i only use Dan Pollock’s hosts file and MVPS HOSTS in my /etc/hosts BUT i do not have any Multipurpose lists enabled in ublock. i do try to limit the memory usage of ublock and too many lists do engage in fight for first place

maybe i'm not making much sense, but privacy is not just fought in your adblocker, you also need a good canvas fingerprint blocker, referrer control and webrtc block also

there is a new extension trying to come in, and i like the effort, gave a few suggestions but still in beta mode and conflicts with too much of my settings. still it's very good resource but using it means disabling some of my privacy extension and reorganizing your layers. not sure if i should throw you into it, but remember this is a work in progress. it should complement ublock quite well but the developer is hard at work and updates are quite often. this is the other side of tracker blocking. font fingerprinting and canvas fingerprinting and webgl faking. it has a lot to offer, but a lot of bugs also Browser Plugs Fingerprint Privacy Firewall <<< i only use it for experimenting for now

ps: there is more to learn, but even i can't keep up. google location can track you even if you block google and google is everywhere. this is a story for another time. TMI can overwhelm
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OK...performed step 3...best that i can understand is that by replacing
assetFetchTimeout 30
autoUpdateAssetFetchPeriod 120
autoUpdatePeriod 7
debugScriptlets false
ignoreRedirectFilters false
ignoreScriptInjectFilters false
manualUpdateAssetFetchPeriod 500
popupFontSize unset
suspendTabsUntilReady false
userResourcesLocation unset

with

assetFetchTimeout 30
autoUpdateAssetFetchPeriod 120
autoUpdatePeriod 7
debugScriptlets false
ignoreRedirectFilters false
ignoreScriptInjectFilters false
manualUpdateAssetFetchPeriod 500
popupFontSize unset
suspendTabsUntilReady false
userResourcesLocation https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/ ... eslocation

will enable updates for "nano" program within ublock origin to auto update within the ublock origin framework...is that a correct assumption ???...as far as the other thing, (bitcoin blocker from github download) im kinda going to decline that as i really have trust issues regarding github at present...minerblock so far as to most everything i have read about it seems to be solid and by monitoring my "lights" as well as system readouts etc, have so far not shown any undue activity or CPU or other usage so as far as i can see, so far so good...i dont want to re-invent the wheel...just want the wheel to "run straight and true", like adjusting spokes on a bicycle wheel...lol...DAMIEN

ps...as far as google tracking etc...it seems as far as i can monitor, that i do seem able to block them from tracking, analytics etc. and on the sites that require it or your blocked!...well i just dont need that site,...do i !!!...LOL...I SUCCESSFULLY block fakebook as well with immense satisfaction since i know that even never been subscribed to them, i know they still try to do this anyways...i have automatic blocking as well as manual capabilities of doing so to defeat their sneakiness...lol...its all a part of not wanting to be bothered...im really going to be something like our revered catweazel...he is the "curmudgeon in chief"...im going to be the "curmudgeon in training and waiting"...hell, theres got to be someone in the wings to carry on the proud tradition...lol...DAMIEN

ps...thanks again...its rather nice to see and learn a new trick that i was unaware of and looking forward to more. keep em coming...i "aint afraid"...lol.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you know how you sometimes are one of the first to try something and then it gets mainstream and you say psht been there done that got the t-shirt to prove it? that was bitcoin mining blocker only a year 1/2 ago now i see almost every extension doing it. after looking at code closely i see some mining blocking is also included in the nano lists. if you click on your Nano Defender Integration link in ublock you'll see coinhive and cryptonight.wasm is there. at first i used to examine the lists but now i don't so things get updated and redundant which is the same with most of the lists. so i will probably drop the miner list if i see memory usage spike.

just a few months ago we had to manually add these nano list and the resource link was different, now things are automated. funny thing at first jspenguin was using gorhill's repos for his nano blocker :lol: and gorhill had a few words to say about that now they each use their own github. the miner list was here way before github was bought so i trusted it also.

does your browser protect you against referrer? https://referer.rustybrick.com/ do you get
Your Referer:
No referer.

i know some of these test sites are parasites themselves, but you're protected enough for testing. believe it or not many testing sites have closed down. i barely found a few referrer browser test, there used to be quite a lot more
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

You folks are really just pikers, honestly. Richard Stallman has you beat by a mile.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

where do i start

credits are due to quidsup, since that is what inspired me in the first place to pursue privacy back in 12.04 ... ok, granted the picture is from later but the argument remains. no disrespect to you but think about it, if we didn't have anything to block then why is it that we have developers working hard at blocking the things we are blocking here ? i for one would love it if i didn't have to spend my time wearing a tinfoil hat on the internet, but just because you don't see it doesn't mean you're not bitten by it.
ps: maybe the OP should change the title of thread since we have gone off the yellow brick road ... and it's just the tip of the iceberg
Last edited by trytip on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi trytip...yes i do use a referer controller in my chromium browser and also using startpage as search engine...it works beautifully...DAMIEN

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... doihckciin
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

that's the referrer control i use haven't looked for a new one. i see imgur.com is now disabling user upload if you block referrer. it's tricky to know which sites need a referrer whitelist. in those instances i use the rightclick on page > create referrer filter for this site > use custom referrer > Target host.

i also installed CanvasFingerprintBlock been using it for a long time maybe there's a better or more concise canvas blocker but haven't really looked for any new extensions. uBlock Origin Extra is a companion to ublockO it isn't an extension with options if you read inscription: to gain ability to foil early hostile anti-user mechanisms working around content blockers and.

WebRTC Leak Prevent i use it wih the third option of disable non-proxied UDP. i know ublock has the option Prevent WebRTC from leaking local IP addresses, but i keep this extension in case i do need to change options.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi trytip...im using canvas defender... https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... opadkifnpm... and here are my results...and yes, i have been using ublock origin extra since it first came out...DAMIEN

Adblock enabled:Yes
Do Not Track enabled (via HTTP headers):Yes
Do Not Track enabled (via navigator):Yes
Your browser fingerprint:N/A
Browser fingerprint:N/A
Time to calculate:N/A
User agent:N/A
Language:N/A
Resolution:N/A
Timezone offset:N/A
CPU class:N/A
Platform:N/A