Unlocking locked windows files with the .PFILE extention.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Morten wallin jensen

Unlocking locked windows files with the .PFILE extention.

Post by Morten wallin jensen »

Hey there.
I have an old backup containing 1.000's of pictures. Now my windows 10 PC broke down and I'm unable to access those pictures on an other PC. How to do that?
I've read somewhere that I have to get the old PC up an running with WIN 10 and then unloct the files, but that seems like kind of stupid....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Unlocking locked windows files with the .PFILE extention.

Post by catweazel »

Morten wallin jensen wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:00 am Hey there.
I have an old backup containing 1.000's of pictures. Now my windows 10 PC broke down and I'm unable to access those pictures on an other PC. How to do that?
.pfile is a rights management extension. You have no choice but to open it in Windows, as far as I'm aware.
I've read somewhere that I have to get the old PC up an running with WIN 10 and then unloct the files, but that seems like kind of stupid....
That's what happens with proprietary file formats.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Re: Unlocking locked windows files with the .PFILE extention.

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:13 am You have no choice but to open it in Windows, as far as I'm aware.
I know that MS made the RMS-SDK available for Linux years ago. I never worked with it under Linux though so I do not know if there are any ready-made native freely tools available. I also don't know if there is support in Wine. Both of those are possibilities to explore though.

Return to “Open Chat”