How did you come up with your user name?

Chat about just about anything else
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How did you come up with your user name?

Post by Husse » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32 am

That would be great, shall i pm you with the name, or just put it in here? :D
Whatever you prefer :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

SpudGun

Post by SpudGun » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 am

Thank you Husse, that feels better, :D i feel born again, no longer sound like an eighties **** star, just the 50 year old child that i am. :lol: :lol: :lol:

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:25 am

Wellllll, I've got to be the first to welcome SpudGun . . . . boy, does that remind me of . . . . waitaminut . . gaghhhh . . I'm the same age . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

please don't tell me your girlfriend loved Gary Wright . . . :oops:

SpudGun

Post by SpudGun » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:32 am

richyrich wrote:Wellllll, I've got to be the first to welcome SpudGun . . . . boy, does that remind me of . . . . waitaminut . . gaghhhh . . I'm the same age . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

please don't tell me your girlfriend loved Gary Wright . . . :oops:
Thank you and no, she liked john thaw :lol: :lol:

beauvin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by beauvin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:39 am

i'll join in then :) my name means "drink wine" in my native language and also "fine wine" in french i think, my taste has changed now and i prefer water only :lol:

Hepburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hepburn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:40 pm

Audrey is one of my 'idols', and I've been told that I look like her - although that's probably lighting-dependent... :lol: I'd also quite happily live in the '60s, or earlier, if time-travel were possible. I have other usernames, but I tend to use this one the most these days. You might find 'Lady' in front if I'm feeling particularly girly!

Hepburn
You're only young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

WorfSOM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WorfSOM » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:35 am

My username is simply a more abbreviated version of a character in the Star Trek universe (Worf, Son Of Mogh). :D

winotree
Level 1
Level 1

Post by winotree » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Howdy. This seems as good a place for me to start my visit here as any. :D One day back in 1994 I looked across the street and saw a homeless man sitting under a tree trying his best to stay dry during a slow and cold November rain. A short poem sprang full blown to mind -- the first stanza is

An old man sits under the wino tree at the corner of Second and Hill,
Nursing a case of
Down on my Luck and a small brown bag against the winter chill.

See y'all around the forum(s). :wink:
2007 ASUS 701(B) 4GB - Original 0401 BIOS - 1GB RAM - Debian Testing

royalsefton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by royalsefton » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:00 am

I was born with my user name. :)

nandemonai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nandemonai » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:40 am

nandemonai roughly translates as 'It's nothing' in Japanese, depending on context.

Why I chose it? I love Japanese culture and language. Also some personal reasons. Mostly though, I'm a NiN fan and up till 2004 Trent's record company was called 'Nothing Records'. *shrugs*

I've been using this nick for a long time now.
Linux Mint 7 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 pm

I thought that being the "Grey Ghost" would be cool, but a little on the bland side. So, I used some English skills to find the synonyms "Gunmetal" and "Ghoul" as its cooler equivalent. Awesome, eh?
Life's too short to keep things in their "out-of-the-box" condition....

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:54 pm

@Hepburn,
I'd also quite happily live in the '60s, or earlier,...
I did live through the '60s, and earlier. They weren't all they were cracked up to be. :-) I am looking forward to the 2040s. :-)

@Gunmetal_Ghoul,

That is imaginative. I wish I had that kind of inventiveness. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Gunmetal_Ghoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks, Fred. All it really took was knowing how to play around w/ words and their synonyms. Life gets rather boring w/o using a bit of variety in your vocabulary. We could still stand to brush up on our grammar skills and learn to gussy up our writing. It could very well help the cause of Linux and F/OSS.
Life's too short to keep things in their "out-of-the-box" condition....

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Gunmetal_Ghoul,

Yes, you are right. I have been meaning to get around to learning to read and write for a while now. Just so busy, I haven't gotten around to it. :-)

Maybe next year. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

arnoldj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arnoldj » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:01 pm

My username is mine, but the avatar picture is of Louis Riel, hero of the Métis Nation.
Looks like I'm making the switch to Mint from 6 years of Xandros Linux.

dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dlkreations » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:33 pm

exploder wrote:My user name goes back to when I drove a 1991 Ford Explorer. The Explorer had around 260,000 miles on it and the whole bottom of the truck had rusted away. Also someone had ran into the back of the Explorer and bent the passenger side rear fender and hatch so bad the insurance company considered it totaled.
I wouldn't get rid of the truck! I kept patching it up and fixing it up. My Wife insisted it was junk and started calling it the Exploder".
I loved that truck, it even survived being in four foot deep water once! I drove it home when the flood water went down! It did ruin the starter, but again I fixed it.
When I needed a user name for message boards I used "exploder", in remembrance of that old truck.

How did you come up with your user name?
I actually just read the first post in this thread! Your story makes me miss my old truck too. It was a 1970 Datsun 1600 pickup. Man I loved that thing. It was my first truck; I replaced the engine and did all the body work on it. That was my baby....

Would have been odd for me to go around and use the name Datsun though lol
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse

moosepig

Post by moosepig » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:31 pm

aaaa
Last edited by moosepig on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Copa360
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Copa360 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Mine is short for Maricopa360.com - My business website.

thx1138
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thx1138 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:35 pm

The movie.
It fits and sounds cool. It seems to be friendly (thx/thanks).
I use it since i'm online (the early 90aese) as often as i can.

hooya27
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hooya27 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:52 am

I've been online for quite a while; even before web-based email. Once Yahoo! started free email, I signed up for an account. All of the first name based user names that I would have considered were taken (I guess I could have been dan23518...). In a flash of brilliance, I transposed the syllables in "Yahoo" to get "hooya". I also enjoyed the idea that "Yahoo" has a literary origin. Wikipedia says this:
A Yahoo is a legendary being in the novel Gulliver's Travels (1726) by Jonathan Swift.
Swift describes the Yahoos as vile and savage creatures, filthy and with unpleasant habits, resembling human beings far too closely for the liking of protagonist Lemuel Gulliver, who finds the calm and rational society of intelligent horses, the Houyhnhnms, far preferable. The Yahoos are primitive creatures obsessed with "pretty stones" they find by digging in mud, thus representing the distasteful materialism and ignorant elitism Swift encountered in Britain. Hence the term "Yahoo" has become synonymous with "cretin," "dinosaur," and/or "Neanderthal."
Since I was late to the party, and great minds think alike, "hooya" was already taken. I added the day of the month that I was born (also, 3^3) to the end, and yahoo27 was born.

Conveniently, it is almost always available whenever I need a username for a forum or login - I'm still hooya27 (at) yahoo.com (but, man, what a spam-bucket a 15 year old email address is!) but the mail and search engine I use most now is Google. So, I'm hooya27 (at) gmail.com, mostly.

Sorry you asked?

Dan W.

Return to “Open chat”