Time for a little bit of reading!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Time for a little bit of reading!

Post by lsemmens »

An interesting topic posted, originally on StackExchange, posits: "Supposing that the entire Earth was instantaneously replaced with an equal volume of closely packed, but uncompressed blueberries, what would happen from the perspective of a person on the surface?"

This discussion paper addresses such a question. It's an interesting exploration into the mathematics and physics of such a phenomenon. Enjoy!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Time for a little bit of reading!

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 am An interesting topic posted, originally on StackExchange, posits: "Supposing that the entire Earth was instantaneously replaced with an equal volume of closely packed, but uncompressed blueberries, what would happen from the perspective of a person on the surface?"

This discussion paper addresses such a question. It's an interesting exploration into the mathematics and physics of such a phenomenon. Enjoy!
The paper lacks forethought. Yes, I read it. The author neglects basic chemistry.

The state described would only last a few days before the planet turned to producing humongous amounts of ethylene. The planet would become squishy and collapse. Any of the population that survived drowning in fermenting blueberry juice would die of cancer as the ethylene is metabolised into toxic ethylene oxide.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 am
lsemmens wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 am An interesting topic posted, originally on StackExchange, posits: "Supposing that the entire Earth was instantaneously replaced with an equal volume of closely packed, but uncompressed blueberries, what would happen from the perspective of a person on the surface?"

The paper lacks forethought. Yes, I read it. The author neglects basic chemistry.

The state described would only last a few days before the planet turned to producing humongous amounts of ethylene. The planet would become squishy and collapse. Any of the population that survived drowning in fermenting blueberry juice would die of cancer as the ethylene is metabolised into toxic ethylene oxide.
Or there would be a lot of blueberry wine.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

HaveaMint wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 am
catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 am

Or there would be a lot of blueberry wine.
"fermenting blueberry juice" by another name :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Interesting paper. If the author might get it published in The Journal of Irreproducible Results, although he might have to make it a little less sciencey. :)
catweazel wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 amThe state described would only last a few days before the planet turned to producing humongous amounts of ethylene ... planet would become squishy and collapse.
And then the fruit flies would appear - either by spontaneous generation or by migrating from another fruiteous planet. The atmosphere of the planet would become thick with fruit flies and soon the surface would acquire a crust of fruit fly carcasses.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

And given the state of steaming media I expect the bidding war between Amazon and Netflix to start for making a series based upon the premise.
When the world goes blue - how will you survive! Blueberry World - The Series starting his fall!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'm glad you all enjoyed it, now, can someone our me another glass of blueberry "juice". hic. :lol:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Not specifically on this subject, but related in the "extreme planet phenomenon" sense, Jupiter has no clear delineation between gaseous atmosphere and solid surface. In fact, there is enough gravity that there exists metallic hydrogen. That is, a solid metal state of hydrogen.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Portreve wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:15 pm Not specifically on this subject, but related in the "extreme planet phenomenon" sense, Jupiter has no clear delineation between gaseous atmosphere and solid surface. In fact, there is enough gravity that there exists metallic hydrogen. That is, a solid metal state of hydrogen.
And diamonds the size of a motor car, apparently.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Ethylene is produced naturally by fruits , in relatively small amounts , as a natural part of the ripening process .
Cherries and blueberries produce very little , compared to apples and pears .

Ethanol ( ethyl alcohol ) , by comparison , is produced in large amounts as fruits decompose and ferment .
[Elephants have been known to actively seek out decomposing fruit .... the pachyderm equivalent of binge drinking ! ]

Bananas intended for overseas shipping are deliberately picked under-ripe then artificially ripened on arrival using .... ?
.... yes ... ethylene .

One reason why bananas from supermarkets taste rubbish compared to eating one in the Caribbean ( for example ).

Return to “Open Chat”