Rain Finally

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lazarus

Re: Rain Finally

Post by lazarus »

Things are beginning to looking a tad better for some of us drought-stricken Aussies, thankfully.

So far this August we've had 25mm(1") of rain where I am, compared to an average of 60mm(2.4") for the same time over past years. That's an improvement over the 6mm(0.2") total we saw last month; things were looking grim.

Especially as our sole water supply is rainwater tanks... and they're woefully depleted. If it wasn't for nightly dew on the roof we'd be importing the stuff ourselves. :( I'm so thankful that we're not running stock for a livelihood, it's hard enough looking after the few "hobby" animals we have.

Here's to hoping that next month Spring will bring better fortunes! <fingers and toes Xed>

kyphi wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:04 amThe wildlife is coming into the built-up areas in search of a green blade of grass to eat and many end up as road kill.
Hehe. No homestead vege patch is safe! We're pretty used to walking out the front door of a night to have a smoko and startling roos on our front porch... but it's a real shocker to walk out and be confronted with wild pigs! :shock:
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The relief convoy has arrived: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-17/t ... s/10132274

Still no rain but plenty of roos.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

5.5 inches in Indiana in the last week :shock:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

@HaveaMint,

Great news!

I read this post thinking how the people react to rain around here. I live in the state of Rhode Island, U.S. This area, along with other surrounding states is called New England. We have had high temps all summer. Mostly mid o high 80's ℉. When rain, or even the forecast of rain comes along, it's always frowned upon. Most of our newscasters and meteorologists are the worst with attitude. Rain is touted as ‘bad weather'.

Last weekend, we had two days of rain and one might have thought the world had come to an end. When I bring up the fact that we needed rain, the usual response was, ‘Well, yeah, but two days is ridiculous.'

That's New Englanders for you!

:roll:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

HaveaMint wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 pm You can walk across the river here and not get wet.
Selection_009.jpg
I would GLADLY trade some with ALL of you responding to this thread!

We have had rain for all but ~6 days in the past 3.5 weeks, sometimes coming in torrential downpours! The fear for tonight/tomorrow is that high winds could rip trees by the roots from the saturated ground. One thing, though...

My lawn hasn't looked this great in YEARS!!!!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

JerryF wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:47 pm @HaveaMint,

Great news!

I read this post thinking how the people react to rain around here. I live in the state of Rhode Island, U.S. This area, along with other surrounding states is called New England. We have had high temps all summer. Mostly mid o high 80's ℉. When rain, or even the forecast of rain comes along, it's always frowned upon. Most of our newscasters and meteorologists are the worst with attitude. Rain is touted as ‘bad weather'.

Last weekend, we had two days of rain and one might have thought the world had come to an end. When I bring up the fact that we needed rain, the usual response was, ‘Well, yeah, but two days is ridiculous.'

That's New Englanders for you!

:roll:
I'm not too far from you. I work in Athol MA and unfortunately left a window open a couple weeks ago. THe rain, driven by the wind, left a puddle that lasted 8 hours and almost ruined some product. We leave the windows in that area closed now, but with no Air Conditioning...UGH!!!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:09 pm I'm not too far from you. I work in Athol MA and unfortunately left a window open a couple weeks ago. THe rain, driven by the wind, left a puddle that lasted 8 hours and almost ruined some product. We leave the windows in that area closed now, but with no Air Conditioning...UGH!!!
Huge bummer!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks to all who contribute to keeping our farmers heads "above water" (pun intended). We also need to pray for rain.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:57 pm Thanks to all who contribute to keeping our farmers heads "above water" (pun intended). We also need to pray for rain.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/08/10 ... shows.html
Wow y'all have it really bad there.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

HaveaMint wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:38 am
lsemmens wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:57 pm Thanks to all who contribute to keeping our farmers heads "above water" (pun intended). We also need to pray for rain.
Oh yeah! It's distressing to have to go and put your stock out of their misery. No farmer wants to euthanise any of their animals, sometimes, though, it's better than the alternative.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

lsemmens wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:26 am
HaveaMint wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:38 am
Oh yeah! It's distressing to have to go and put your stock out of their misery. No farmer wants to euthanise any of their animals, sometimes, though, it's better than the alternative.
Wow. That's intense.

HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Really good rain and could use more, the lake/reservoir is up and OMG there is water in the river again. The pic is the lake water levels and it is a large one, so every foot is a lot of water.
canyon.jpg
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I've given the whole "rain in Australia" topic some thought over the years, and if I had the power to do so, I've an idea that I think would work. However, it wouldn't likely be cheap, and there would probably be a lot of folks who would object.

Here's the plan:

Cut a pair of 5km-wide arcs across Australia running from approximately the corners of the two upper west and east states in an arc inland and then back out again in the lower corners of the two lower west and east states. The Pacific and Indian ocean would then fill these respective waterways. Air blowing across the continent would then have additional points from which to draw moisture, hopefully leading to additional rainfall.

Second part of the plan would be to run water feed pipes out into the oceanic waters at various points around the Australian coastline. These would then feed desal/RO plants, and this would mean there would no longer be a dependence on rainfall and having to tax Australia's various aquifers. It would effectively end the need to limit or terminate water usage.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

We finally had some rain yesterday and the day before. 0.82 inches with 0.47 inches in one hour.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Portreve wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 pm ... and there would probably be a lot of folks who would object.
For example:
1. The folks that live in the way of such a project, they would say "NIMBY" (Not In My BackYard).
2. The conservationists concerned with upsetting delicate ecological balances.
3. The meteorologists looking for the catalysts to make rain - a mountain range would be handy and wind coming from the right direction.
4. Those who cannot swim across this divide.
5. etc., etc., etc., not to mention the abundance of opportunistic greed created when valuable minerals are uncovered.

Nevertheless, thank you for caring enough to give it a thought.

I am still chuckling whenever I think of your quip about your cat not letting you have a pet :D You have a delightful sense of humour, Portreve.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open Chat”