gmail question

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

gmail question

Post by wpshooter »

How (by what means or mechanism) does Google know what gmail to assign to a particular computer ?

If I do a fresh install of Linux Mint and open Firefox and change my home page (among
other configuration changes) to Google, then gmail is available on the Google home
page without me even having to browse to or log into gmail account.

Is this done by Google's recording of my modem/router IP address ?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: gmail question

Post by trytip »

if you delete your complete history cache and cookies, then the homepage will still be at google.com but it will not log you in.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

trytip wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:40 pm if you delete your complete history cache and cookies, then the homepage will still be at google.com but it will not log you in.
It would seem to me that if I have just installed Linux Mint from scratch, that there would be NO cache nor cookies to delete, did I miss something ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you're saying that after a fresh install you setup your homepage to google and it logged you in? that's impossible
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

trytip wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:53 pm you're saying that after a fresh install you setup your homepage to google and it logged you in? that's impossible
No exactly. Once I changed the home page in Firefox to Google, the little Gmail link at the top right hand corner of
Firefox was there. And when I clicked on it, my Gmail account was opened to the email interface !!!
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

wpshooter wrote:Once I changed the home page in Firefox ...
Do you have a Sync account with Firefox? It's my understanding that it stores passwords, among other things. e.g., Gmail credentials.

Joe
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

JoeFootball wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:10 pm
wpshooter wrote:Once I changed the home page in Firefox ...
Do you have a Sync account with Firefox? It's my understanding that it stores passwords, among other things. e.g., Gmail credentials.

Joe
Not to my knowledge, Firefox is just installed as default part of Linux Mint 19 mate.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

wpshooter wrote:Not to my knowledge, Firefox is just installed as default part of Linux Mint 19 mate.
If you go to about:preferences?entrypoint=menupanel#sync in Firefox, it shows that you're not signed in to Sync?

Joe
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

From what I am seeing there I assume not, because it has a link which apparently offers to allow me to
do the sync.

Is it possible that the appearance of the gmail link on my Firefox is being created by my restoring
my bookmarks from which I backedup / saved from my previous installation of Linux Mint ? I would
have thought that that only restored the bookmarks but perhaps I am wrong.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

wpshooter wrote:Is it possible that the appearance of the gmail link on my Firefox is being created by my restoring
my bookmarks from which I backedup / saved from my previous installation of Linux Mint ? I would
I know that Firefox has the ability to store passwords as well, so perhaps that was indeed part of the backup/restore.

If you go to about:preferences#privacy in Firefox, and then press the "Saved Logins" button, is there anything? If so, then that's it.

Joe
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

saved from my previous installation of Linux Mint
you didn't say you restored your firefox you said it was a fresh install. rename your .mozilla folder and you'll see what a fresh install looks like
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

wpshooter wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:33 pm .
As Trytip stated renaming /home/username/.mozilla to .oldmozilla will force Firefox to create a new folder, there you can see a fresh install of FF. Later FF closed delete the fresh .mozilla and rename the old.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

JoeFootball wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:45 pm
wpshooter wrote:Is it possible that the appearance of the gmail link on my Firefox is being created by my restoring
I know that Firefox has the ability to store passwords as well, so perhaps that was indeed part of the backup/restore.

If you go to about:preferences#privacy in Firefox, and then press the "Saved Logins" button, is there anything? If so, then that's it.

Joe
No, nothing under either of those.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

trytip wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:56 pm
saved from my previous installation of Linux Mint
you didn't say you restored your firefox you said it was a fresh install. rename your .mozilla folder and you'll see what a fresh install looks like
That's correct, I did not restore Firefox, only used utility under bookmarks to save and then subsequently restore those bookmarks.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i still don't understand what you're asking. on a fresh install there is no trace of google knowing any of my stuff. if you import something with firefox, then that's an issue for the the firefox forums. i gave up on firefox and i don't use any browser imports.

what i do is setup my browser the way i like it then delete every trace of history passwords cache and cookies or form data and then compress my profile. then i can copy my .mozilla or .config/google-chrome to whatever linux i have which does not work in windows BTW.

so the question remains, did you clear ALL the HISTORY and PASSWORDS and CACHE and COOKIES from your original firefox profile? if not then why are you surprised that the passwords are saved.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Well it is my understand that if I reinstall Linux Mint from scratch which deletes everything on
my hard drive (including Firefox and everything else) and the hard drive is repartitioned and
reformatted during the from scratch install, then how could any settings, etc. of any kind come
over to the new install ?

All I am saying that I did was to use the backup utility found in Firefox under Bookmarks to
save/backup my old bookmarks to a USB thumb drive and then to restore them to the BRAND new install of
Linux Mint after it's installation is complete. My understand of that backup utility is that ALL it does is
to allow me to move the bookmarks from my old install to a new install.

I have always wished that there was a straight forward utility to allow ALL of the browser info from an old
installation to be moved over to a new installation but I have yet to find one. I have even asked
questions on these forums before and I was advised that copying the Firefox profile from an old
install to a new install is NOT a good idea because they advised that it is problematic at best.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

wpshooter wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:27 pm All I am saying that I did was to use the backup utility found in Firefox under Bookmarks to
save/backup my old bookmarks to a USB thumb drive and then to restore them to the BRAND new install of
Linux Mint after it's installation is complete.
This might be where the confusion lies. I have nothing under Bookmarks that has a function such as this. However, if I go to Edit > Preferences and click on Firefox Account I have the setting there to sync my bookmarks, among other things. If this is what you did, then that explains why Google knows who you are. This area is for syncing between devices (inclucding old Mint, new Mint on same device.) This same sections covers exactly what follows:
I have always wished that there was a straight forward utility to allow ALL of the browser info from an old
installation to be moved over to a new installation but I have yet to find one. I have even asked
questions on these forums before and I was advised that copying the Firefox profile from an old
install to a new install is NOT a good idea because they advised that it is problematic at best.

Thanks.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Are you saying that if you click on bookmarks, then show all bookmarks and
then click on that drop down, that you don't see the backup and restore functions ?

See attached screenshot.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

My apologies. That extra step of Show all bookmarks is something I never do.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI wpshooter,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I install various editions and versions of Linux Mint and various browsers in them all the time to help others in this forum and for my own curiosity. I also use Gmail accounts. None of my browsers remember anything unless I login to the browser sync option with a specific GMail account or manually restore or import some things.

FYI: If you setup a browser like Firefox's sync option with Google (Gmail, etc...) then that will sync all bookmarks, passwords, add-on extensions, etc... perfect when installing Linux Mint to another computer or doing a fresh install (no need to back up (export or import) bookmarks, etc...). It can take a few minutes for everything to load, and you may have to restart the browser to finish updating, but it works great. Not all browsers retain everything which is too bad. Chrome sync works well too. With Opera's sync I always have to re-install all my add-on extensions unless I used an extension to back those up manually, but bookmarks and I think passwords are saved and restored.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Open Chat”