gmail question

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: gmail question

Post by trytip »

well i have been using pretty much the same firefox, palemoon and chrome profiles ever since i started adding extensions and privacy tweaks. and like i mentioned before i compress my profile i delete all the history and in the case of chrome you need to delete quite a few more like gpu cache in
.config/google-chrome/ShaderCache/GPUCache/
.config/google-chrome/Default/GPUCache/
on top of that almost half of these folders in config chrome has a manifest and log which remains even if you use the clear browse data with all time.
.config/google-chrome/Default/data_reduction_proxy_leveldb/

also even with bleachbit there are still leftovers like some of these highlighted items. most of them are gone but not all

but the point is after i do a good cleanup i compress the .mozilla or .moonchild productions or .config/google-chrome/ and on a fresh install of mint or whatever linux i just decompress it and i have my browser back. depending on how long it's been dormant some extensions may be dead and some tweaked settings may not work or redundant so some fixing may be required. my browser profiles are pretty old had them since chromium v18 i think and my firefox since firefox v3 . that's how i backup my bookmarks
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

phd21 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 pm HI wpshooter,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I install various editions and versions of Linux Mint and various browsers in them all the time to help others in this forum and for my own curiosity. I also use Gmail accounts. None of my browsers remember anything unless I login to the browser sync option with a specific GMail account or manually restore or import some things.

FYI: If you setup a browser like Firefox's sync option with Google (Gmail, etc...) then that will sync all bookmarks, passwords, add-on extensions, etc... perfect when installing Linux Mint to another computer or doing a fresh install (no need to back up (export or import) bookmarks, etc...). It can take a few minutes for everything to load, and you may have to restart the browser to finish updating, but it works great. Not all browsers retain everything which is too bad. Chrome sync works well too. With Opera's sync I always have to re-install all my add-on extensions unless I used an extension to back those up manually, but bookmarks and I think passwords are saved and restored.

Hope this helps ...
Thanks for the info, however my guess would be for any of this syncing to work, you would have to have the computers at least in a LAN and also have to have them on (up and running) at the same time. I never have both my desktop and laptop computer running at the same time because I have a very limited computer desk workspace and therefore for me to use my laptop I have to move my desktop keyboard off of my desk in order to have room for the laptop to sit for it to be used.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

wpshooter wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 am Thanks for the info, however my guess would be for any of this syncing to work, you would have to have the computers at least in a LAN and also have to have them on (up and running) at the same time. I never have both my desktop and laptop computer running at the same time because I have a very limited computer desk workspace and therefore for me to use my laptop I have to move my desktop keyboard off of my desk in order to have room for the laptop to sit for it to be used.
You don't. Sync works over the cloud so Mozilla, Google, etc. have a copy of your bookmarks, history, etc. When you first login to the sync account on your device, it downloads data from Mozilla or Google's servers and then uploads any changes you make so changes are propagated to all devices logged in the same account.

Return to “Open Chat”