Win10 over-rode my settings to prevent Updates

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Win10 over-rode my settings to prevent Updates

Post by Reorx »

What's Win10? :lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

so, what is the most successful way of running MS Office on Linux?
Wine worked for me with office 2007, now use crossover with office 2013. Also run win7 in a vm with office 2016.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
lexon

Post by lexon »

That was another reason why I left a new HP laptop with W10 on it alone and kept an Acer with Mint. Lot less troubles.
I use to dual boot with Windows up until W8 before but no more.
I only dual or triple boot on the Acer with Linux.
I need a good W10 PC for my iPhone and iPad and Apple music.

L
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

well,
the daughter's Acer Aspire is now dual booting with Win10...

Grub allows her to select which to use.

But, Peppermint Network Manager does NOT see any of the devices on the WiFi network.
I can't believe that.

here is what I posted to them.... BTW, forum activity there is zero, no users at all viewing the forum.
Note: This message is awaiting approval by a moderator.
There are 2 WiFi printers, 1 Win7 PC, 4 laptops, 2 on Windows, 2 on Linux.

I need to log into the Win7 PC server to access a Shared Folder that is dedicated to this laptop to use, as a host for files. This laptop is dual boot with Win10. Secure Boot is turned off.

Grub has been set to default to Windows Boot manager if the up/dn arrow is not used to select Linux....

This laptop is used for a home based business for my daughter, it is critical that I make it easy for her to learn Linux, Peppermint's ICE is what drew me to this OS for her, as she must have access to MS Office natively, not thru a crutch.... she knows nothing of Linux, so I have to make the path easy for her.

I need to put a Network icon on the Desktop linked to her Shared Folder on my Win7 Desktop.
I use Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon for my daily driver laptop... and when I saw Peppermint, I knew it was the way to go for my daughter.

She is very much upset with Microsoft's constant intrusion on her life, and constant updates that take her PC away from here when she needs it the most.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AZg...that forum pulls in the sidewalks at 6pm...lol...your posting is there now with replies...its not a very active forum...only 2905 members at last count worldwide...DAMIEN

ps...you were the 2905th member, and i cant do anything there for you since they banned me for life...lol...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 pm hi AZg...that forum pulls in the sidewalks at 6pm...lol...your posting is there now with replies...its not a very active forum...only 2905 members at last count worldwide...DAMIEN

ps...you were the 2905th member, and i cant do anything there for you since they banned me for life...lol...
That's alright, the post they made about some guy "the Bronze" seems to have provided the problem with SAMBA.

Been too tired from recovering from the dental surgery to finish making it see the WiFi network....
I am satisfied that Peppermint 9 and ICE will allow my daughter to do what she wants.

who knows, maybe one day she will become a Mint aficionado :lol:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”