IOT may be the next security issue.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

IOT may be the next security issue.

Post by lsemmens »

Black Hat 2018 had a demo where a sensor was hacked and malicious code injected. It raised the possibility that a simple sensor could cause untold damage if the wrong one were attacked.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
gm10

Re: IOT may be the next security issue.

Post by gm10 »

May be? Has been for years. No way you haven't heard of this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirai_(malware)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You are right, I'd forgotten about that one.
Fully mint Household
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Do you mean 'idiocracy of things' here?
Last edited by all41 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Nothing to worry about, Microsoft is coming to the rescue on IoT security. Hadn't you heard? Azure IoT is going to make IoT completely secure, just as Windows has always been completely secure.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:37 am Nothing to worry about, Microsoft is coming to the rescue on IoT security. Hadn't you heard? Azure IoT is going to make IoT completely secure, just as Windows has always been completely secure.
Actually M$ is copying Linux promising smaller are more targetted updates. Who are they trying to emulate?
Fully mint Household
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

It was actually quite some time after IoT became a "thing" that I'd even heard the term, and I didn't pay any attention to it (which is kind of typical for me, actually) for a long while. Eventually, I got tired of feeling like I just fell off the turnip truck, so I read up on it, and yeah, I have had some pretty big issues with the Internet of Things concept because I don't trust the devices' designs, I don't trust their manufacturers, I don't trust how they behave as network devices, and frankly I just don't have a use for them.

I don't watch TV to speak of, so I have no television with which to connect to the Internet. I therefore have no TV to control or interact with some other device. I don't subscribe to any streaming services, except that I just set up a freebie Spotify account about two weeks ago. Any streaming I do is either in the form of YouTube videos, or radio stations which simul-stream on the Internet. (By way of example, I recently learned my Comcast account has a monthly cap of 1TB of data, and most months I'm averaging between about 20-40 GB. The highest usage thus far was a month where I just about hit 50GB.)

I was reading one of the GNU+Linux magazines today after work at my local Barnes and Noble, and there were a couple articles in there I thought were interesting. The first, which is sort of on this subject, was Microsoft's acquisition of Github; the second was on the unrelated topic of Purism's Librem 5 smart phone.

Microsoft is trying to be in the world of GNU+Linux in a big way, and I guess maybe this time there's people in charge of Microsoft who have less of an ego in the way (which comes of being the creator of a company) and are more of the "grew up with computers and the Internet" generation. However, I'm still kind of struck by the sense that they're trying to be the cool kid on the block by buddying up with the free software movement. I really don't fundamentally trust them, of course, but they've made some interesting moves.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I won't use anything which is going to have IoT in it (refrigerator). If it does, say like in a vehicle, I will disable it...............Permanently. If it can't be disabled permanently as in said vehicle, then I won't purchase the vehicle.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:23 amActually M$ is copying Linux promising smaller are more targetted updates. Who are they trying to emulate?[/url]
Oh, it's more than just copying or emulating, they have now released Azure Sphere, a Linux distro intended specifically for IoT. They also use Linux in some parts of their cloud infrastructure, and have since at least 2015. They also released their SQL Server for Linux a few years back. And 40 percent of the virtual machines running in their cloud are running Linux. Linus Torvalds used to say, "If Microsoft ever releases software for Linux, it means I've won." Congratulations, Linus, you won!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

If Microsoft ever releases software for Linux
Have they actually released something original, though?
Or would they?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

all41 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:56 pm
If Microsoft ever releases software for Linux
Have they actually released something original, though?
Or would they?
If their own distro and a bunch of their own software, drivers and SDK's isn't original enough, what would be in your eyes?

Return to “Open Chat”