Be more active in life..not just computer science

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Be more active in life..not just computer science

Post by AndyMH »

I smoke, eat pizza and stay up all night writing code. I'm 85.
+1, I'm a youngster here at 66, you missed out the alcohol bit :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Portreve wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 am .
Portreve, I really value your informative and thoughtful posts on this forum. Being a technology enthusiast is great and the knowledge you have gained comes across.
Wish you all the best with the future I'm sure you'll find someone who values your knowledge.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:46 am Hope you are riding American Iron AZgl1500, but, from your tag, I'm guessing it's a rice burner. What's more I'm guessing a Lead Wing. But, of course I've been wrong in the past. IF you have a spare Harley could you post it to me? :D
Yes,
I just posted off the old piece of garbage "American Iron" to you, should be arriving "any day now" :mrgreen:

my current ride is a Honda 2002 GL1800 which is still very young at 114,000 miles and runs like a new one.
just acquired a little Piaggio MP3 250cc scooter to carry in our Toy Hauler when we go on Walk About for a week or 3.....
Originally put the GL1800 in the Toy Hauler garage, but the 1,000 lb dead weight upset the trailer's balance and made it want to whipsaw back and forth badly.... so needed to reduce the weight in the back, hence the little scooter for zipping around at the campgrounds and at motorcycle rallys.

Did you catch news this week about Harley Davidson now has a V8 in production?
yes, a V8 as in 8 battery banks for an all electric motorcycle.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

We hardly get any information about Harley Down here, and I do not read bike mags like I used to. Seriously, The Gold Wings are a serious piece of work, Friends who have owned them, love them. Not my sort of bike though, I much prefer a sports bike. I started out on a dirt bike, then a Kwakka 1000ST which was a big heavy beastie. My last bike was a 650 Katana. Haven't owned a bike in about 25 years. If I can afford it, I'd love a Sportie, but will, if coin permits get a cheaper bike. In Aust, Harley's are not as cheap as other bikes.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

back in the day, I owned a pair of Yamahas, CT-175 and a DT-250 both enduros as they called them at the time.
We used them for running up and down the dry sandy river bottoms on the Candadian River out in Texas, west of Borger, Texas all the way to the New Mexico state line.... what a hoot it was then.....
Stupid we were, no water bottles, no lunch boxes, just the bikes and give 'er hell.....

Cellphones to call for help? not to be invented for 30 years or more....

I also had a '72 Yamaha 750cc 4 cycle twin touring bike they called it... had a fairing and windshield, and shaft drive.... wow! no grease on my pants!!! a miracle it was then.

back during the Iraq war, my son volunteered to go over as a civilian diesel mechanic for the Army's motor pool.... he had a '84 Honda Goldwing, knowing it would gunk up if it just sat for 2 years or more, he brought it over to me to ride.... and it was love again.... I rode it to work and back everyday.... traded that for an '86SEi Goldwing, then I bought a 1994SE Goldwing which died a hard death one day when a Penske semi rig took it and me out.

New Accident Scene, Images are in Reverse Order,
good ones at at the bottom of the scroll....
https://imgur.com/gallery/M0rO7wn

the lawyers kept me off of bikes for 3 years until the lawsuit cleared....
then I bought a 1998SE Goldwing, later sold it, and bought a 2002 GL1800 which I still have.

This weekend, we are taking our Toy Hauler RV to Eureka Springs, Arkansas for the holiday weekend, we call it Labor Day.... Aug 31 thru Sept 3rd this year....
we have a new to us, 2009 Piaggio MP3 Scooter that will be in the Toy Hauler garage....
https://i.imgur.com/ndWDvU5.jpg
great for running around town during the rally while visiting friends.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/3- ... 018-a.html
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Those piccies are as good as my accident. I can't share an piccies at the moment as I am not at home. I'll try and remember in a couple of days.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ud6

Post by ud6 »

Portreve wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:12 am With a few exceptions, it seems as though I've worked little more than burger-flipper jobs (meaning: worthless but I needed a paycheck and it was all I could get) and I just feel my life has largely been lived in neutral...
Humans are often habitual creatures. We play on our phone and computer, but if you have a brain and a body you can change anything. I think most limitations come from not knowing what opportunities really exist...

Despite having radically different lifestyle (was in military, done PhD, lived in several different countries, surfed big waves, written a book) I still consider myself a bum cos never really been able to settle or make much money. In every country except Germany women on average receive more tertiary (degree level) education than men. Suicide rates in men are high (esp at 40-45 yrs) I think because despite less spending on education, health, social support on men, men are still expected to be rich and successful if they want to get married; 50% of women in UK wouldn't date a man that earns less than them, and up to age of 30 women (child birth avergae age is 32) women earn more than men.

But these are just social pressures. The death of my brother made me realise, if you want to do something, you gotta do it NOW, and don't listen to the rubbish on Facebook or what other people believe you should be. I knew a surfer guy who worked in rubbish jobs, had no wife or kids, very little money, but he traveled the world surfing the best spots and even though he never competed, he was a highly respected surfer. We think we need money to do things, but what we need usually is the will to do something, then if money is necessary, we work to get the cash to do it (with a purpose).

As I've got older too, my exploration has less to do with new countries, and more to do with developing good friendships. But whatever you want to do it, do it now cos one day life will do something nasty like give you HIV, cut off your legs or kill you, so find whatever brings some interest and value into your life, even if this is only knitting.
garry9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by garry9 »

I agree. Computer is just a tool.
Last edited by garry9 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I'm 68. I learned to surf waves when I was 15 years old. Now at 68 year old, I've given up surfing the waves with a prone surf board and went to a standup up paddleboard (sup) where I partake in flat water paddling sessions, coastal cruising on the upper Texas coast and sup surfing the waves on the Bolivar Peninsula, Galveston Island and at Surfside, Texas.

With a standup paddleboard, when one is sup surfing the waves off the beachfront in the surf zone, attracting the attention of a curious shark is lessened since one's legs aren't in the water when waiting for a wave to surf.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce

Return to “Open Chat”