Data Breach reported via Have I Been Pwned

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Data Breach reported via Have I Been Pwned

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

could anyone explain this to me ?...i copied and pasted this from Have I Been Pwned when i ran my protonmail address, and was informed that i was "breached"...now what do i do about this...not ecstatic about this at all...this is NOT LM forums but a forum site called "Linux Forums" i visited once as another forum to possibly use which i decided against...im thinking that just changing my password should be sufficient...if not please let me know, (have already changed password)...DAMIEN

"Linux Forums: In May 2018, the Linux Forums website suffered a data breach which resulted in the disclosure of 276k unique email addresses. Running on an old version of vBulletin, the breach also disclosed usernames, IP addresses and salted MD5 password hashes. Linux Forums did not respond to multiple attempts to contact them about the breach."

Compromised data: Email addresses, IP addresses, Passwords, Usernames
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Data Breach reported via Have I Been Pwned

Post by Flemur »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:28 pm could anyone explain this to me ?
Yup, this forum was hacked a while back; there were some posts about it.

Summary: don't use the same password in various places.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

heheheh...i never use the same passwords on anything...they are all different...i did change the password already for my protonmail acct. im hoping that should be sufficient...its only 36 characters long...lol...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

don't know how they know, i think they just go by domain. i entered these false emails and all have been pwned

Code: Select all

me@aol.com
me@yahoo.com
me@hotmail.com
me@outlook.com
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Easy way to collect email addresses.......
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

trytip wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:44 pmdon't know how they know, i think they just go by domain. i entered these false emails and all have been pwned...
I think it's (kind-of) real. The address I use here and for other online-internet stuff had "pawned" (or whatever it said) for about 5 or 6 sites, 2 or 3 of which I recall using within the past year or so, including this forum (I bet this forum is pretty rare compared to many sites, so it'd look bogus to most people to have it show up without reason). The address I use for emailing humans, but not signing up for anything online, wasn't hacked at all.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Open Chat”