Chat about just about anything else
trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Re: New iPhone Next Month, Android vs iOS

Post by trytip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:09 am

alexa9 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 pm
If there was a Linux Mint phone, I'd be all over it. Until then, I'm going to use what I see as the best hardware/software, iPhone.
who am i kidding :lol: , if someone gave me a free iphone i'd use it . i'd hack the living daylights out of it first

AndyMH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AndyMH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:22 am

I'm going to use what I see as the best hardware/software, iPhone.
And have you managed to get it to talk to mint? The only way I was able to get stuff off my iphone was via win7 in a VM. Had to install itunes to get the drivers into win7. Now dumped in favour of android which has no problem talking to mint.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19, Thinkpad T430 i7-3632 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T420 Cinnamon 18.3, Thinkpad T410 Cinnamon 17.3, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

alexa9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alexa9 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:44 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:22 am
And have you managed to get it to talk to mint? The only way I was able to get stuff off my iphone was via win7 in a VM. Had to install itunes to get the drivers into win7. Now dumped in favour of android which has no problem talking to mint.
For putting music on an iPhone, I use a family member's computer. A little time consuming but just a minor drawback. iOS is practically flawless compared to Android when it comes to user interface and apps working properly.
2 x Intel NUC / Dell Inspiron 3567 Laptop

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Post by trytip » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:49 pm

yeah but when i'm in a hurry and i don't have a family member that can drive 20 miles to upload some music on my iphone and create a new user for my playlist on their laptop ... ?
i can just plug my android and copy my videos, documents and music and setup .apk right from my linux. or if i want to take my sd card from my phone and put it in a new phone i get no complaints from the phone

this is why iphone users hate updating their phone and Why Apple is Bullsh!t Now but may just be caught in the hype of having a phone that the Kardashians use :lol: OMG this video makes me so :twisted: angry at Apple
go to the comments select SORT BY > Newest first and read for yourself the disgruntled customers

alexa9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alexa9 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:02 pm

trytip wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:49 pm
yeah but when i'm in a hurry and i don't have a family member that can drive 20 miles to upload some music on my iphone and create a new user for my playlist on their laptop ... ?
i can just plug my android and copy my videos, documents and music and setup .apk right from my linux. or if i want to take my sd card from my phone and put it in a new phone i get no complaints from the phone

this is why iphone users hate updating their phone and Why Apple is Bullsh!t Now but may just be caught in the hype of having a phone that the Kardashians use :lol: OMG this video makes me so :twisted: angry at Apple
go to the comments select SORT BY > Newest first and read for yourself the disgruntled customers
Actually the Pixel is even worse than that. You have to upload your music to Google Play and it's different recordings or edited music. The Galaxy Phone is probably better though. Apple does charge a premium but they usually have timely updates if many people complain. The customer service and warranty is far better. Apple has replaced a faulty keyboard and iPad out of warranty, no questions asked. They are kind of trendy and low tech people use them because they're intuitive and simple but that doesn't mean they're lower quality. I don't think the Apple fanbois have blind brand loyalty. Their stuff is better than you give them credit for.
2 x Intel NUC / Dell Inspiron 3567 Laptop

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:34 pm

absque fenestris wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:24 pm
Android isn't exactly customer-friendly either, but at least with a program like Total Commander you can view your own files, manage them, copy them to an add-on card, rename them, delete them and send them to other devices - within the device and without having to rely on the stupid iTunes on an external machine...
another anti-iOS person.

there is another very nice GUI type file manager you might want to check out.
it is the only one I use anymore, and has been for 2 or 3 years now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ilemanager

works a treat for cross network file copies

uberdorf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by uberdorf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 am

OP seems to have made a decision already. I was like that too once. I switched to the iphone 6 from android last year, and I regret it now. But I can't afford to replace my iphone until the payment plans finishes in 2020. So I am stuck with that iphone.

iphone advantages-better security, more updates and more often, I prefer the hands free Siri, app store is less likely to have malware
android advantages-better keyboard, compatible with linux, better user interface, apps are easier for me to organize, more customizable, pics can be renamed easily on the phone and transferred, android phones can be flashed more easily
no advantage-quality (some brands of android are just as good in hardware as iphone, some aren't), privacy (yes Apple collects data too)

After a year, I still have trouble finding some installed apps on my iphone. Then there is having to keep a Windows virtual machine just to transfer things. Sometimes I am able to get pictures off my iphone with linux, sometimes not. My wife complains about her iphone regularly after 9 months of use. She had to install dropbox so she could rename her pictures on her phone and transfer them, because the iphone changes the file name of her pictures when transferred through the icloud or through itunes. I still haven't been able to backup her photos because she hasn't gotten them all off her iphone yet.

Unfortunately for me, lineageOS doesn't have any versions for any of my old android phones like CyanogenMod did.

EDIT--I forgot to complain about having to reset my iphone already. After an update, it appears that a bug occurred with one of the already installed apps. The iphone then was hot all day and using up battery fast because some app was running out of control. Either that or it got hacked somehow, I don't know. So I had to reset the iphone to get it to function properly.

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 am

personally, i cant wait to see this phone that is coming out shortly for 50 bucks...DAMIEN

https://fossbytes.com/zerophone-raspber ... owdsupply/
ORDO AB CHAO

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:54 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 am
personally, i cant wait to see this phone that is coming out shortly for 50 bucks...DAMIEN

https://fossbytes.com/zerophone-raspber ... owdsupply/
Read that over real good, it is just about useless in its' current state.

does not have 3g, 4g, or 5g
so there won't be any internet on it.

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:57 pm

thats exactly right...i only make phone calls on my phones as it is...no camera, no internet, no text, just phone calls...for me thats a perfect world...i do not need to carry the www on me 24/7...i turn on my computer when i want it, same with my camera and i dont use fakebook etc, so i dont need a "smart phone"...stupid one does me just fine...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Open chat”