New iPhone Next Month, Android vs iOS

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
alexa9

New iPhone Next Month, Android vs iOS

Post by alexa9 »

I think I might go back to an iPhone next month. My Google Pixel 2 has been better and worse in some ways than my iPhone 7.

Pixel is better: Google Maps/Android Auto>Apple Maps/Carplay, Google Assistant>Siri, Drive>iCloud, Camera/Photo App
iPhone is better: App Store, less buggy (Shamed to say but the Tinder app doesn't work on Android very well), intuitive, far more accurate keyboard for typing, better updates, better hardware, iMessage, Facetime, Music App (Google play app edits my gangster rap!), less Google spyware/malware.

In reality they're very similar, but I have to give a slight edge to the iPhone. (Linux Mint is still preferable to MacOS!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: New iPhone Next Month, Android vs iOS

Post by jimallyn »

A few years ago I decided I wanted to replace my old clamshell phone with a smartphone. And it just happened that two friends were getting new phones and gave me their old Apple and Android phones to try out. Android wins, hands down. There's a reason why Android has nearly a 90 percent market share. (Last time I looked it up, which was early last year, if I remember correctly.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

jimallyn wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 am Android wins, hands down.
Care to elaborate?
I think they both have pros and cons that I listed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

this is ridiculous. $1000 for a phone? it doesn't even toast bread or mow your lawn. you can buy 70 inch smart tv for the same price
apple doesn't allow you to upgrade or fix broken iphone. not to mention the ridiculousness of it's founder steve jobs and how greedy and unwholesome he was towards family, friends, and co-workers. i will never be part of the apple family
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I dumped my iphone for an android, nothing wrong with iphones unless you want them to talk to linux.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

alexa9 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 amCare to elaborate?
It's been several years since I made the comparison, but I just found Android much easier to use, more intuitive, more logically laid out. Anything I wanted to do on the phones, I could instantly do on the Android phone, but I had to spend some time figuring it out on the Apple phone.

Both Android and iOS are stuffed with spyware to collect data on you. I'm thinking about moving to one of the non-Google Android OSes, like LineageOS, which has all that stuff removed. I don't think there are any open source operating systems available for Apple phones.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

trytip wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 am this is ridiculous. $1000 for a phone?
Agree that it's absurd and they pack in a lot of unnecessary hardware features to drive the price up like Face/Touch ID. Flagship Android phones are not any cheaper though.
OTOH, smartphones are very capable and can replace your camera, computer for some, navigation system, etc. and pack a lot of useful features that we take for granted.
Last edited by alexa9 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

jimallyn wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 amThere's a reason why Android has nearly a 90 percent market share. (Last time I looked it up, which was early last year, if I remember correctly.)
I expect the reason for that is cost. Much less expensive than iPhone while being more than good enough to run typical tasks for most users. :P

alexa9 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 pm I think I might go back to an iPhone next month. My Google Pixel 2 has been better and worse in some ways than my iPhone 7.
I'm still using an iPhone 7. At this point in time, smartphones are more than fast and capable enough to cope well with firmware updates so as not to require frequent replacement. Will probably just do a battery replacement December and use it for a couple more years.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

alexa9 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:07 pm
trytip wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 am this is ridiculous. $1000 for a phone?
Agree that it's absurd and they pack in a lot of unnecessary hardware features to drive the price up like Face/Touch ID. Flagship Android phones are not any cheaper though.
OTOH, smartphones are very capable and can replace your camera, computer for some, navigation system, etc. and pack a lot of useful features that we take for granted.
the only reason why android phones are in the similar price range is because they need to meet the competing price range. and puhlease i can buy 64GB mini sd card for $19.99 and apple treats it like it's the holy grail. at least with android you can put an sd card inside. with apple everything is closed. the iphone X is only an iphone 8 with a few extra GB of RAM. what happened to the iphone9 ? :mrgreen: same thing that happened to windows9. it all got sucked into a black hole

no doubts the hardware of iphone is durable, but for an American company to outsource their fabrication to cheaper labor countries only tells me that it's all about the $$$'s and will not have a part of it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just simply will not have anything to do with an Apple product.
I hate their business practices.... I used to be 100% Apple until 1983 when I wanted up update the memory for my computer.

They wanted more for a 64kb memory board, than I could buy a whole damn 286DX :twisted:

that pissed me off so bad, that I sold all 5 of my Apples, and I had 3 of the II+ and a Mac and a GS
I have never looked back, and I never will touch an iPiece of crap

My son is forced to use a iThingy and he hates it, it won't let him do what he needs to do with his business, but his employer paid for it..... :arrow:

this brings me to mind of a book I am reading, the author refers to the phone his characters are using as iThingy and to me, that is exactly what they are, a piece of crap.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I am very interested in following the actions and (hopefully) successes of Purism. Their Librem 5 is very interesting to me.

If WhatsApp was written for it, and if it had a full on replacement for Google's suite of Calendar/Maps/Navigation, I would switch the day it came out. Because of the nature of my job, Monday-Friday I rely on building a set of Calendar events with every location I'm going to, and the direct ability to summon full GPS capabilities. I also need it all to be cloud based, along with my email, contacts, and so forth.

That entire paragraph is a deal make or break for me.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

trytip wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:35 pm no doubts the hardware of iphone is durable, but for an American company to outsource their fabrication to cheaper labor countries only tells me that it's all about the $$$'s and will not have a part of it.
If it was made in America, it would be 50% more expensive and people would whine even more! It is all about the money and profit with any company. But if we're just going to compare iOS vs Android, I prefer iOS for its simplicity and intuitiveness. My Pixel 2 is just buggy. I'm going back to iPhone. TBH I'm not a big fan of Apple either, but I'm not going to use an Android phone just out of spite.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

@alexa9
WHAT? do you think the pixel is made in america? nothing is made in the U.S.A. everything is made in every other country but the usa. maybe i can go to my local hardware store and buy some nails that fit my coffin, those for sure are made in the usa. i don't understand people using linux and having an iphone. we need fabrication jobs for american products in America . why would i care how much the iphone costs, it seems people will pay whatever the price is anyway. the least Apple can do is return some of that fame and profit back to the citizens that created it.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

As a long-time user of Apple computers, I was shocked at the introduction of the iPhone OS and its capabilities. And still I am. iOS is not simple but stupid.
As a typical Mac user, I was looking for the Finder in iOS. Finder??? Nada, niente, nothing.
My data, my folders something like that and a program to manage it... nothing at all.

Android isn't exactly customer-friendly either, but at least with a program like Total Commander you can view your own files, manage them, copy them to an add-on card, rename them, delete them and send them to other devices - within the device and without having to rely on the stupid iTunes on an external machine...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 pm @alexa9
WHAT? do you think the pixel is made in america?
alexa9 wrote:If it was made in America
If, a supposition.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
alexa9

Post by alexa9 »

trytip wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 pm i don't understand people using linux and having an iphone.
If there was a Linux Mint phone, I'd be all over it. Until then, I'm going to use what I see as the best hardware/software, iPhone.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

If nothing else, Apple is certainly good at marketing.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

jimallyn wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:17 pm If nothing else, Apple is certainly good at marketing.
Capitalism + Globalism + Communism = Cupertinism

Return to “Open Chat”