I hate it when people do not return to their threads

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

I hate it when people do not return to their threads

Post by GS3 »

I hate it when someone asks a question, then a bunch of other people come in to the thread asking questions and speculating and the user does not return to answer questions or even show any interest. To me that is just plain lack of manners and courtesy.

I hate it even more when I ask a question and nobody shows up at all but I guess that's just because I ask weird questions which interest no one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I hate it when people do not return to their threads

Post by wallyUSA »

I agree. So do you have a question? (Let's see how soon you reply)
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Right now, off the top of my head, I remember I asked about Firefox not accepting input in Chinese characters and no one had an answer. I am beginning to suspect that Chinese really does not exist and it is just for show, When I am traveling in China I often wonder if they are just putting on a show with a pretend made up language and as soon as I turn around they go back to speaking English. I can't say I am sure, just somewhat suspicious. That would explain that Firefox has no interest in supporting the charade.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, GS3.

The reason why no-one replies to your post, which you had given as an example, may be that the number of Chinese speaking users, who use Linux Mint and Firefox, here in the forum is too low?
But how is this issue related to people not returning to the threads which they had opened? Do not quite understand the relation.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

No relation. Just two unrelated thoughts in a very disjointed brain.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

GS3 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:02 am I hate it when someone asks a question, then a bunch of other people come in to the thread asking questions and speculating and the user does not return to answer questions or even show any interest. To me that is just plain lack of manners and courtesy.
I agree that this behavior shows a certain lack of respect for those from whom the subject poster(s) is(are) requesting help.

But to say that one hates such a situation - just a bit strong. I find it annoying. I try to remember the names of those exhibiting this behavior with the intent of ignore their future posts. I just can't be bothered with rewarding or enabling unsocial behavior.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Yes GS3, it is annoying.

As srq2625 said:
srq2625 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:40 am I agree that this behavior shows a certain lack of respect for those from whom the subject poster(s) is(are) requesting help.

...I try to remember the names of those exhibiting this behavior with the intent of ignore their future posts. I just can't be bothered with rewarding or enabling unsocial behavior.
I never thought I'd do this, but I have 3 members in my Foes list. Any posts from them that are in a thread don't show, only that they've posted.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

GS3 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:02 am I hate it when someone asks a question, then a bunch of other people come in to the thread asking questions and speculating and the user does not return to answer questions or even show any interest. To me that is just plain lack of manners and courtesy.

I hate it even more when I ask a question and nobody shows up at all but I guess that's just because I ask weird questions which interest no one.
yes, people are rude.
Maybe it could Partly be a problem with the forum notification Default settings.
not all forums have defaults that are easy find and set.

I personally want email notices, and some get deleted by my spam blockers...
I don't cruise the forum on a regular basis, and until I added the forum to me feed reader I visited very little.
If I am guilty, tell me.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I find it annoying also. I'd get on my soapbox and rant that that is just the way people are today in this so-called "enlightened" world, but it wouldn't do any good anyway.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I don't see how notifications are a valid excuse. If a user has a problem with their computer and asks in the forum I can't see why they would lose interest in resolving the problem. At least return to tell us the problem resolved itself because the computer disappeared when the entire house burnt down.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Maybe some people do this to annoy others? Appears it's working :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Pepi wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 am Maybe some people do this to annoy others? Appears it's working :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
There's both. I can make a new account, post a thread why Linux Mint sucks and I'll probably get 10-20 replies easily without ever coming back to it. Also called trolling.

The rest are usually people who have their problem solved by other means (they probably asked on others forums, too, or a friend helped, things like that) and forget they ever asked here. Not exactly polite, but no evil intent, either.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

as a moderator of a motorcycle forum, I can vouch that this is not unique to this forum.

we get a newbie on, with 1 post, asking a question, and the thread runs on for 3 or 13 pages espousing what could possibly be wrong and how to fix it....

and the newbie never, ever, comes back.

then I see them on a sister type forum, asking, well actually, just a carbon copy post of the same text, and they never show up there either again,

and then I see them on a 3rd forum, same copy/paste thing, and they never return there either....

sigh!!!

on my m/c forum, I changed all the Defaults to ON so that when they post, they are instantly subscribed to that thread and will get an email when a reply is made. that has helped somewhat, but you just can't fix bad social behaviours
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

What about looking at it from the new forum member's (Original Poster's) perspective . .

Post a question.
Reply number one with a suggestion.
Reply number two with an alternative suggestion/recommendation.
Reply number three, not even to the OP, but bashes reply number one.
Reply number four, adding to reply number two.
Reply number five, poster of reply number one, bashing reply number three.
Reply number six, two and four conversing among themselves.
. . and so on . .

Do you think the original poster might actually get quite lost, and simply run away from the confusion ???
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

richyrich wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm
Do you think the original poster might actually get quite lost, and simply run away from the confusion ???
and that is pretty much what I have seen also.... because when some of them come back, that is exactly what they say. "I am lost"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

richyrich wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm Do you think the original poster might actually get quite lost, and simply run away from the confusion ???
I have been in that situation more than once. I have asked a question which I thought would have a simple answer only to be overwhelmed by complicated responses. If I decide to not pursue the matter at least I would post something like: "Thanks to all who responded. I see this is more complicated than I first thought and I will need some time to study this further. If and when I have further questions I will come back and ask. Thanks again for your help."
ud6

Post by ud6 »

GS3 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:04 pm ...I have been in that situation more than once. I have asked a question which I thought would have a simple answer only to be overwhelmed by complicated responses. If I decide to not pursue the matter at least I would post something like: "Thanks to all who responded...."
Yup, agreed. Also I think responders have to make an effort to produce an answer appropriate to the ability of the questioner. In linux mint this is particularly important because newbies/new migrants from windows may just want to use GUI. Although terminal use should be learned, for newbies I think dangerous to suggest code they obviously won't understand, so my suggestion would be to offer both methods (eg install through software manager, or you can use sudo apt-get method). I guess we are investing in the development of new user's ability, so explanation of what code does may be useful...

.. thus making it even more frustrating if they don't respond :lol:

But then, in a year's time, other people may benefit still.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ud6 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:12 pm I think responders have to make an effort to produce an answer appropriate to the ability of the questioner.
Of course, but that's not always easy. We don't know what someone knows... and then some people get confused/angry/discouraged if suggestions seem too difficult, some get angry/indignant/insulted if they seem too simple.
I do feel that at the very least, when we ask a complete newbie for an inxi report, some indication should be given that this is a command that should be used in the terminal.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Moem wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 am ...
I do feel that at the very least, when we ask a complete newbie for an inxi report, some indication should be given that this is a command that should be used in the terminal.
Yes!
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

GS3 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:02 am I hate it even more when I ask a question and nobody shows up at all but I guess that's just because I ask weird questions which interest no one.
That's why when I have a question, I don't rely on one source only. So I ask my question here and also in 3 Fakebook groups.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV

Return to “Open Chat”