10 Reasons to Replace Windows with Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: 10 Reasons to Replace Windows with Linux

Post by Pierre »

Haa - - who needs a Power Failure ?.

+
Windows Is Updating - - 97% - 98% - 99% - 99% - 99% - 99% - 99%

Windows Update Has Experienced a Problem.
- windows will now restart . . . . . . .

Linux Is Not Windows.
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Pippin wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:30 pm ...
Who still needs a DVD drive?
Lots of people.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

151tom wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:19 am
JerryF wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:45 am [*]Support for older hardware
Yes, but it's getting harder with some versions of Linux, including Mint. I've looked into running 19 on some older computers and not getting good results. 18.3 is fine.
I disagree here.

I run 10 year old desktops (All brands prebuilt and home built) and I run old laptops (Dell and Acer).
I've had zero problems with Linux Mint 19 or Ubuntu 18.04 supporting older hardware OOTB.

I find Linux supports plenty of old hardware or at least all of my old hardware.
I didn't say no support, just that it's getting harder, now that some of the kernels have been whittled a bit.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

151tom wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 am ...
I didn't mean to say you did although it does sound that way.
My Apologies. :oops:
I suck at explaining myself when I have to explain what I mean in writing.

I can only base my Linux experience on my own old outdated computers.
:D
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

GS3 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:45 am I have had other Dell laptops and I believe they all had the same system.
My Dell Inspiron 1525 has the side caddy as well. I confess to having spent a while trying to work out where the hard disk was - and how to get to it - before I realized .. :oops:
ud6 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 pm If there is one time you really need to use your computer, it's when you turn it on to use it!
Exactly. Wonder how many have powered on their Windows 10 machine to use during their lunch break & it sits there the entire time doing updates .. :x .. mine, I just press a key & the screen lights up, within seconds it's ready to use. Even a cold boot doesn't take long. No messing around. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
ud6

Post by ud6 »

BG405 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:50 am ..mine, I just press a key & the screen lights up, within seconds it's ready to use. Even a cold boot doesn't take long. No messing around. :mrgreen:
When hibernation still used to be a thing in linux mint, I didn't ever shut down fully. Ironic that a system that never needs to be rebooted (linux) seems to always have hibernation problems and a system that does need rebooting (windows) hibernates well. :lol:
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

BG405 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:50 am My Dell Inspiron 1525 has the side caddy as well.
Such a laptop is ideal for "double booting". Just swap the drive and you are in another OS. No muss, no fuss. Initially the reason I bought another HDD for the laptop was that I wanted to try a drive with Full Disk Encryption so I bought a Seagate Momentus 7200 FDE which is totally transparent to the OS. When I installed it I thought I might as well install a different OS on it. Now I can switch between the two ... if I used that laptop at all. I have it kind of as a backup.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

ud6 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:58 am Ironic that a system that never needs to be rebooted (linux) seems to always have hibernation problems and a system that does need rebooting (windows) hibernates well. :lol:
:mrgreen:
Actually I haven't yet configured hibernation on the Manjaro machine. Think I'll need to add the swap UUID to the grub config..

Suspend usually works fine but I've been getting a weird intermittent issue lately (I think due to a kernel update) where the mouse pointer is invisible when it wakes up! :x Have to restart Plasma to restore it, doesn't kill any apps thankfully.

I used to have hibernation issues issues with Windows 7. Sometimes it would fail to resume properly .. & when the battery reached critical level, the OS would simply REFUSE to stay in hibernation :!: - went through the motions but immediately woke up again - forcing me to carry the machine home to prevent it cooking itself in my bag, late at night, having to be very careful to avoid shocks whilst urgently needing to get the thing home & plugged in before it shut off. NOT ideal. :x
GS3 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 am Such a laptop is ideal for "double booting". Just swap the drive and you are in another OS. No muss, no fuss.
It is indeed convenient. The machine is well overdue a replacement HDD (I have one I'm preparing; just haven't decided which OS & DE yet) & saves having to take the thing to bits. :mrgreen: I'm also tempted to put a HDD caddy in the optical bay as although I do use the optical drive (& it's a decent one) I do also have a USB one.

Also, this:
Pierre wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:14 am Haa - - who needs a Power Failure ?.

+
Windows Is Updating - - 97% - 98% - 99% - 99% - 99% - 99% - 99%

Windows Update Has Experienced a Problem.
- windows will now restart . . . . . . .

Linux Is Not Windows.
:lol:
:mrgreen: :lol: :roll:
Last edited by BG405 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 am The title of the post says it all...link provided below...enjoy...DAMIEN

http://dailylinuxuser.com/2018/08/10-re ... ystem.html
11th reason:

That's why I'll never install Dumbows 10, even if Micro$hit payed me to do so!
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

ud6 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:58 am ...
When hibernation still used to be a thing in linux mint, I didn't ever shut down fully. Ironic that a system that never needs to be rebooted (linux) seems to always have hibernation problems and a system that does need rebooting (windows) hibernates well. :lol:
Hibernation works well for me.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Windows 10 update policy is just insane. You would think a company with that much money could find a better way to handle OS updates. You get a choice when shutting down and it needs an update:

Update then shut down - which means you must babysit your computer to make sure Windows doesn't hang or otherwise screw up the update. Oh, and then when you do restart it you must wait for it to finish updating.

Shut down and restart - which requires babysitting your computer again, to make sure it doesn't hang or break.

Can't believe how dumb their update policy is.

Edit: nearly as bad - Onedrive. Microsoft shoves that down your throat, and it seriously slows down your computer, particularly during startup. I set a policy to disable it from syncing https://www.howtogeek.com/225973/how-to ... indows-10/. The the stupid thing still was running during startup in the startup applications and had to be disabled in a second place.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The article contains any number of basic reasons to use GNU+Linux, but I have two niggles with it:

1. It misses the point when it talks about free and freedom; and
2. Using is not the same thing as switching, and this article isn't particularly motivating in that regard

I know from my own experiences that it's not about running GNU+Linux; it's about getting your data migrated so that you escape the bonds of entrapment. I admit to having exotic (or, perhaps better started, more exotic than usual) needs in that regard, but I also had an enormous amount of backgrounds and knowledge going into the process. Most folks barely have a clue what files are, and there's no way "the masses" have the competence or the interest in putting any effort forward.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Portreve wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:27 pm It's about getting your data migrated so that you escape the bonds of entrapment. Most folks barely have a clue what files are, and there's no way "the masses" have the competence or the interest in putting any effort forward.
I agree with that. The one reason why I waited to make the switch was the fear of something new and how I would get my old data transferred to Linux. But that fear can easily be countered by the fact that Linux is FREE. I got to know LM17 because of a free cdrom that was attached to a german pc magazine. I put the cd rom inside my pc and it worked. Testing it without installation is by far the best hands on reassurance that somehting new isnt something troublesome. Those Live Dvd Iso's or Live Usb Iso's are the best charm offence that Linux can make. Try it out for free. And guess what ? It works splendidly.

The reason I switched to Linux for good was when I started using Windows7 for internet purposes. Before I had used Windows7 as a standalone pc. When I encountered the numerous update issues with Windows7 I decided to throw it out. Those updates errors drove me mad.

The other compelling reason why I really wanted to switch to Linux was because it is much more safe and secure than Microsoft.

Furthermore I endorse, support, cheer on any alternative to the monopoly of multinational corporations like Microsoft.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

KBD47 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:56 pm Windows 10 update policy is just insane. You would think a company with that much money could find a better way to handle OS updates. You get a choice when shutting down and it needs an update:

Update then shut down - which means you must babysit your computer to make sure Windows doesn't hang or otherwise screw up the update. Oh, and then when you do restart it you must wait for it to finish updating.

Shut down and restart - which requires babysitting your computer again, to make sure it doesn't hang or break.

Can't believe how dumb their update policy is.
Reading all over the internet about Dumbows 10 updates, I think that function should be renamed to "Sit down, restart and drink a few coffees. This process may take forever, please wait...". :lol:

There's also something that amazes me about Dumbows 10 updates - whether on a PC or on a mobile device: updating does take forever. While I was using the Lumia 532, every time it needed to update it downloaded an update between 500 MB and several gigabytes. The smallest update took an hour. As a matter of fact when I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 (that Lumia came with Windows 8), this whole process took much less time than any of the next updates.
For comparison - when I bought my new phone - Redmi Xiaomi Note 5A with Android 7.1.1, at first run there was a huge update - 1.2GB update file. It was downloaded in 20 minutes (bc I'm in Eastern Europe and the update server is most probably in China) and the updating process took about 5 minutes. It all happened so fast I didn't even notice when it was completed.
And it's the same with all the distroes I have ever tried (Mint included) - downloading happens even faster cuz I choose local mirrors and everything updates in less than 5 minutes. Not a single time I saw a message "Updating process failed. Restoring previous version, please wait for a few hours".
That alone should be enough reason to kick Windows in its S and replace it with a distro of the user's choice.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

for me,
I just put the Windows computer on the local WiFi network.

then in Linux, I just navigated to where the files were that I wanted, and sucked them onto the Linux data folders where they belong.

I also have a 6 TB HDD that backs up the Win7 computer, so I could just shuffle that over to Linux and pull them off that if I wanted it all, which I don't.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Valsodar wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:21 am I think that function should be renamed to "Sit down, restart and drink a few coffees. This process may take forever, please wait...". :lol:
There's just one issue with that .. omit the "please" and it better reflects the process. They don't ask, so even though politeness is inferred, it is meaningless.

There is no excuse for a desktop OS to schedule an update requiring and forcing a restart without user (or admin) interaction. Period.
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

BG405 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:45 pm There is no excuse for a desktop OS to schedule an update requiring and forcing a restart without user (or admin) interaction. Period.
This is absolutely correct.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

Can you imagine a plane run by Windows 10? In the middle of the flight when the plane is up high in the sky, Windows 10 decides to update and here comes the message: "Windows update process has begun. Shutting all engines down. Sit tight and hold on to something in the next 24 hours". :lol: :lol:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Valsodar wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:41 pm Can you imagine a plane run by Windows 10? In the middle of the flight when the plane is up high in the sky, Windows 10 decides to update and here comes the message: "Windows update process has begun. Shutting all engines down. Sit tight and hold on to something in the next 24 hours". :lol: :lol:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Open Chat”