What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Chat about just about anything else
BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Post by BG405 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:19 am

Netherprovinc3 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:31 am
Am I right?
Quite possibly yes. One way round this (I hope, anyway) is to block Google stuff like "googleapis", "googlesyndication" etc. & use ad blockers.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 4GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:38 pm

In looking back through this thread, I don't think I've given a serious answer to the OP yet. Perhaps I should.

Occasionally, I will use DDG, but honestly Google's search portal is number one for a reason. :wink:

I know I can find anything findable with Google; that's not the case with DDG. When I'm looking for images, as just one example, I've yet to find anything even as good as, much less better than, Google's search system.

That said, I'm not a fan of monopolies, and by all means I want to see others out there become serious competition for my search needs.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Portreve wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:38 pm
I know I can find anything findable with Google; that's not the case with DDG. When I'm looking for images, as just one example, I've yet to find anything even as good as, much less better than, Google's search system.
And have you tried Startpage.com?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Moem wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:45 pm
Portreve wrote:
And have you tried Startpage.com?
No, actually, I haven't. Perhaps I should? :lol:

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:39 pm

My favorite is now DuckDuckGo...ever since Google decided to censor internet searches for Aussies. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:39 pm

bob466 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:39 pm
My favorite is now DuckDuckGo...ever since Google decided to censor internet searches for Aussies. :evil: :evil: :evil:
I use DuckDuckGo a lot as well, but there is one thing about it that makes me use another search engine as well, as an alternative. I noticed that DuckDuckGo often uses OLDER search results compared to Google. Often this minor flaw doesnt matter, but sometimes I want results dating from 2019 and not from 2017 or earlier.

Portreve wrote:
I know I can find anything findable with Google; that's not the case with DDG.

That said, I'm not a fan of monopolies, and by all means I want to see others out there become serious competition for my search needs.
That' s my wish as well. I am currently using Etools.ch as well, as an alternative to DuckDuckGo, because it is Meta Search Engine, combining the results of many different search engines, which are manually configurable to ones own liking. Furthermore etools.ch has got the same privacy minded headset and is as good as Google in producing the best results. The only thing that is truly lacking in this swiss based etools.ch is the fact that you cant search for images or videos. I use DuckDuckGo for that purpose.

Just for clarity. Startpage is a great privacy minded alternative for Google. It is still based on Google, but it wont share / sell your personal search results.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:01 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:39 pm
Just for clarity. Startpage is a great privacy minded alternative for Google. It is still based on Google, but it wont share / sell your personal search results.
Since I wrote the post you quoted, I've set up Startpage and I'm playing around with it. So far, it's been pretty cool.

Unlike many others here, I'm not yet to a point of actively trying to run away from Google.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:07 pm

hi portreve, using startpage on the brave browser is kinda the best of both worlds, google results without google tracking and the privacy of startpage, and brave browser based on chromium with robust security features without the constant google tracking/ads etc...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Stefano_IT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stefano_IT » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 am

Interesting topic.
I've always used Google, in the past I tried DDG but then I returned to Google because of disappointing results.
After reading this I decided to give DDG another chance and set it on all the browsers on my two PCs.
I just hope it's not snake oil (I read various opinions where some people don't trust)
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia XFCE 64 bit

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:35 am

It is just fine, DDG is my backup search engine if anything were ever to stop Startpage...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:01 pm

As a follow-up, since my last post in this discussion, I've had Startpage installed and I've been actively using it.

It's "ok" and I have no plans to stop using it, but for certain kinds of searches, like image searching, it's not as good as Google.

Return to “Open chat”