What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
carum carvi

What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Post by carum carvi »

I have been using duckduckgo now for a year and despite a few failed searches for local news in my own neighbourhood I dont notice too big a difference with Google, although I do have the suspicion that DuckDuckGo has an older database of which it feeds. I have often noticed that events that took place in the last 6 months arent found so easily or arent found at all in DuckDuckGo.

I have tried several others, including ecosia.org which plants trees from the income they get by placing ads on the page. Great search results by the way, but I just get annoyed by those ads and for some reason they have a microsoft link at the bottom of their search results. That does it for me, no ecosia.org searches for me anymore!

I have read somewhere that most search engines are based on Google. Anybody know more about that?

What is your favorite search engine and why do you prefer it? I am curious if I have missed a new alternative that is better than DuckDuckGo...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What is your favorite internet search engine and why?

Post by phd21 »

Hi "carum carvi",

I use either Google search or the secure and anonymous "Startpage" which uses the Google search anonymously as its "back-end". If I have trouble locating something in Startpage I'll go back to using Google.

You can use an ad blocker (ublock origin, or built-in ad blocker in some browsers) to remove most if not all ads.

Startpage - click arrow button on bottom to scroll down to read about this search engine.
https://www.startpage.com/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Google, because it gives the best results.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I use DuckDuckGo but I will often use the Google !bang to search anonymously if I can't find what I'm after, I do love their !Bangs though they really are very useful and time saving for searching all kinds of websites.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Google for information, Bing for <violates forum rules>. :P
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Google.
snowflake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by snowflake »

I also use DuckDuckGo, because i like their terms of service, i resort to google occasionally,i think google's engine is smarter, i rarely need to rephrase with google, but its too mainstream for me -check the username- & i like siding with underdogs.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I like Startpage. It doesn't record anything you do, or track you across the web, or any of that stuff. It also gives you a link to access pages it finds through a proxy, so you can remain anonymous even to the pages you visit. A friend recommended Ecosia, but a little research shows that it actually uses Bing to do the searches, and since Bing is Microsoft product, I won't use it.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Gaggle, eeeerrrrr, Google.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

https://yandex.com/ is giving https://www.google.com/ a run for they money, but google gives you results in the search page.
for example:
isp speed test <<< you can run the test with no third party
49 celcius=fahrenheit <<< conversion is done
1+1= <<< equations are done
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

administrollaattori wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:00 pm Google, because it gives the best results.
Amen!

I have tried all of the others,
the results are too inconsistent and I often find they will NOT pull up what I want.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Like jimallyn above, I tend to use startpage and avoid anything Bingy. I prefer to associate Bing with Crosby or Cherries...
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

It's DDG for me. I'll occasionally use Startpage.
lexon

Post by lexon »

On my PC, sometimes I use Google search or Dogpile. They both have different results at times.
On my iPhone and iPad I use Firefox Focus.

L
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

TeaSwigger wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:31 pmI prefer to associate Bing with Crosby or Cherries...
+1
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm another happy Startpage user, for the same reasons that jimallyn stated.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Interesting that a lot prefer Startpage. I just checked that search engine out and it gave the best results for a particular search that did not get good results with all the other search engines. I have forgotten why I stopped using it, because I have tried it before. I will reconsider Startpage now.

Startpage and Ixquick are totally identical nowadays, so if a user wants an in browser search engine that is offered in Firefox one could just as well choose Ixquick, right?

Essentially it boils down to the fact that the majority seems to use a privacy friendly version of Google, which Startpage is based upon.

Nice to read though about Yandex and Dogpile, never heard of them before.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

I use Google because it gives me more detailed results. Google displays infinite number of pages with images, while DickDuckGo only shows 1 or 2 and that's it.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

DuckDuckGo is my default but I also have search addons for Wikipedia, eBay UK, eBay DE & a few others. Don't use Google but occasionally try Startpage.
lexon wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:15 pmDogpile.
Used to use Dogpile, when it was a proper meta-search engine, but abandoned it when it became a frontend for Bing a few years ago & didn't provide decent search results any more. Not sure if that has changed since? I think it was around that time that they dropped the dogpile.co.uk variant.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Startpage for me as well.

It gives good results and I like its privacy features.

Return to “Open Chat”