TOO much complicated (passwd )...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
c++

TOO much complicated (passwd )...

Post by c++ »

Code: Select all

New password:
Password must be between 10 characters and 32 characters long, must contain letters in mixed case, must contain numbers and must contain symbols.
that it is INSANE !

WHY ? ? ?

why no simplificate ? ? ? ? ? ?

someone hacked me ? well ... that's MY problem !

:x :evil: :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: TOO much complicated (passwd )...

Post by JerryF »

Ok, take a deep breath. :wink:

From where are you trying to change your password? Terminal?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Sounds like the password for this forum... if that's the case, it's posted in the wrong place.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
c++

Post by c++ »

no man , i'm talkin of the forum password ( change ) . . .
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Oh, didn't know. My mind reading skills are a little rusty.

:lol:
Last edited by JerryF on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Topic moved because it's not about Linux Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Since the browser can remember that password, what's the big deal? WHY SO DRAMATIC??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

... but other than dramaturgy, yes, the Mint forum password requirements are a pain in the behind, even if possibly no worse than having no requirements. I'd anyway recommend a specialized password manager if you don't like Firefox's built-in one, combined with truly secure passwords. LastPass is the by far most popular one, and I've recently been playing around with Bitwarden which is turning out quite nice: https://bitwarden.com/. For a fully local setup, KeePassXC is good, although you can also run the Bitwarden server locally...

Note, though, that if you do like access to your password online you can also just create a Mozilla account and sync passwords to and fro with Firefox. Probably not with other browsers.
Seffis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Seffis »

Thanks... that's all I need... another account with another password.

Just tried to copy my ridiculously long and complicated forum password from Firefox in Linux and paste it to Firefox in Windows. It was rejected. Then tried to manually copy it, but blindly as there is no display options to 'show password. Rejected again. Two more times. Same result. Now, wanting a capcha which most normal humans can't decipher. ]

What's next after insane? Asinine?

The password for my bank account isn't this complicated.
Toshiba C655-S5549 Intel I3 dual core Intel Graphics 3000
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Seffis wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:47 pm Thanks... that's all I need... another account with another password.
You've been here for four years... why are you whining now?

c++

Post by c++ »

JerryF wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:49 pm Oh, didn't know. My mind reading skills are a little rusty
anyway thx pal !
c++

Post by c++ »

Seffis wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:47 pm Thanks... that's all I need... another account with another password.

Just tried to copy my ridiculously long and complicated forum password from Firefox in Linux and paste it to Firefox in Windows. It was rejected. Then tried to manually copy it, but blindly as there is no display options to 'show password. Rejected again. Two more times. Same result. Now, wanting a capcha which most normal humans can't decipher. ]

What's next after insane? Asinine?

The password for my bank account isn't this complicated.
Thx pal !
c++

Post by c++ »

rene wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:14 pm ... but other than dramaturgy, yes, the Mint forum password requirements are a pain in the behind, even if possibly no worse than having no requirements. I'd anyway recommend a specialized password manager if you don't like Firefox's built-in one, combined with truly secure passwords. LastPass is the by far most popular one, and I've recently been playing around with Bitwarden which is turning out quite nice: https://bitwarden.com/. For a fully local setup, KeePassXC is good, although you can also run the Bitwarden server locally...

Note, though, that if you do like access to your password online you can also just create a Mozilla account and sync passwords to and fro with Firefox. Probably not with other browsers.
Thx pal !
c++

Post by c++ »

Do a survey : you will see 95 % of the forum complaining !
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

c++ wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:17 pmDo a survey : you will see 95 % of the forum complaining !
OK, poll here:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=276816
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

2*Big*dogs

Password must:

be between 10 characters and 32 characters long; check.
must contain letters in mixed case; check.
must contain numbers; check.
must contain symbols; check.

What's so complicated about that? You can probably come up with dozens of passwords like this that would be easy.

P.S. That's not my password. :wink:
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

c++ wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:17 pmDo a survey : you will see 95 % of the forum complaining !
Well, not quite 95%:
PollOnForumsPasswordRequirements.png
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Faust

Post by Faust »

This " issue " never even crossed my mind until I read this topic .
I'm a member on many tech forums , and from memory , most of them require a PW with at least " the basic mix "
ie. Upper and lower case characters and some digits and special characters thrown in .

There's something to be said for using phrases rather than words as the "core" of the password .

eg. - " O say can you see, by the dawn's early light" , then take the initial letters ..... "Oscysbtdel "
It's much more resistant to " dictionary attacks " , but still easy to remember .

rene wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:14 pm ... I've recently been playing around with Bitwarden which is turning out quite nice: https://bitwarden.com/. .....

Yeah , me too .
I've never had much interest in password managers , but that one looks promising .
And being able to run it locally is a bonus .
Captain Brillo

Post by Captain Brillo »

Enpass works pretty well. For everything, not just web logins
ud6

Post by ud6 »

c++ wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:36 pm someone hacked me ? well ... that's MY problem !
I feel a bit the same. Problem is, we are generally told:
1. Use long password not based on words, with mixed upper lower case, numbers and symbols
2. Use different passwords
3. Change passwords regularly
4. Don't write passwords down

If we were to follow these guidelines we'd need impressive photographic memories. I have about 30 different logins. If I change every month, that's memorising 360 non sensical (ie not words) passwords a year, flawlessly. Ridiculous.

And password managers are great, but they have two major problems (i) you forget your password more easily, esp over long period (ii) you have to be working on same computer.. I reinstall when new version available, which means I need to know my passwords!

Practically, the advice of having 3 passwords of different levels can make things easier:
1. Very secure passwords eg for banking. These should be complex and ideally not repeated.
2. Moderately secure: emails, login.
3. Websites etc that you don't care if you're hacked (same rubbish password)

I guess for the forum, it's more hassle for the forum than for you if you are hacked. You shouldn't have anything personal, but they could post obscene stuff under your name.

Anecdotally.. I had an Instagram account which I never used.. until my friends started liking my photos (I had no fotos).. turns out I had been hacked and the photos my friends were liking were of women in lingerie. I was like.. surely my friends know I'm a guy and not a woman??! :lol:

Anyway, in my view, we really must hurry up incorporating finger print or retina recognition into systems instead of these millions of stupid, slow, forgettable and unsafe passwords. We have the technology.

Return to “Open Chat”