Chromium/Chrome V-69 User Tweak for Butt Ugly Update

Chat about just about anything else
DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Chromium/Chrome V-69 User Tweak for Butt Ugly Update

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 pm

if any of you are like me using gtk theme etc and like the dark look of previous 68 version of chromium/chrome but have the new updated "improved" version, then fear not...you can change that BUTT UGLY rounded at the corners, bloated looking, stark white address bar and other crappy looking things they have imposed on us back to that nice cozy dark look that we like...then all you have to do is just follow the easy instructions listed below and click the drop down box indicated and pick/click "normal" and restart browser...all will be like before that drastic design flaw made its way to us with version 69...DAMIEN

Code: Select all

chrome://flags/#top-chrome-md
copy and paste this into the chromium/chrome address bar and then just click on the yellow highlighted box for the UI Layout...just click the "default" and then just click on "normal"in the drop down box...relaunch the browser and your good to go.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Chromium/Chrome User Tweak for Butt Ugly Update

Post by overkill22 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:56 pm

This was a life saver!!!!

Thank you man!!!!!

overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:23 am

But I hope they can make the dark version of the new layout... even though it's difficult at the beginning to get used to.

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 am

Hi overkill...are you actually using the stock search engine that either google chrome or chromium provide? Do you want a dark background too? if so that can be changed as well with "startpage" search engine...it uses googles search and works just like it but makes all searchs anonymous...it has its own settings panel as well and i like the dark night time look so i choose that one so i have a completely dark looking browser...in the "settings" panel of chromium/chrome...go to "search engine", "manage search engine" and then click "add" button an do the following...copy and paste these where each is indicated...DAMIEN

PS...this is what it looks like...click the url here to see that one of the Mods uses it as well and has pictured it here...(click on the image to enlarge it full screen)...enjoy

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=276559&start=20#p1519807

Add search engine

Search engine

StartPage
Keyword

startpage.com
URL with %s in place of query

https://www.startpage.com/?q=%s
then scroll down to "On startup"...and click to enable "open a specific set of pages" and copy and paste this where indicated

https://www.startpage.com/do/mypage.pl?prf=3c789dff97cd49a845d884a0cbd8fdee
this last one makes it stay in this "night" mode appearance

then make sure it is selected as the "default" search engine...then relaunch the browser, when it opens you should see "startpage"......on the right hand side there is a 3 line hamburger hash mark...click on it...it is the settings...make sure that the "home theme" says "night"...the next thing i do is...under the title

Web/picture family filter...i click "do not filter my results"...after that i disable the "Video family filter"...thats it...go to the bottom and click "save settings" relaunch and your done
ORDO AB CHAO

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:36 am

overkill22 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:23 am
But I hope they can make the dark version of the new layout... even though it's difficult at the beginning to get used to.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=863230

about:flag fixes could be yanked at anytime. So I hope the Google devs really fix the color to obey the user's gtk theme.

DallasBelt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DallasBelt » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:07 pm

How can I change only the address bar to look dark?

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:26 pm

the only way i have found to make address bar dark is to use the instruction i gave in the first post...it appears that chromium/chrome has given only this as a way to go back to "normal" as has been the case until the new 69 version appeared in the last few days now...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

DallasBelt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Chromium/Chrome V-69 User Tweak for Butt Ugly Update

Post by DallasBelt » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Thank you! I think the dark themes lovers will avoid the new design of Chromium.
I wish there's a way to make the Settings page dark too.

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Progress is apparently block by another issue: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... 863230#c12
But that blocking issue isn't accessible to just anyone.
Last edited by Moem on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote

DAMIEN1307
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:16 am

hi dallas...in the settings section,make sure that under the appearance section, that you choose gtk+...that should make the settings dark as well...it should work now that you have the thingy set to normal...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

DallasBelt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DallasBelt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 pm

The GTK+ theme is selected, but the Settings page is white. It have always been like this for me.

overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:03 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:28 am
Hi overkill...are you actually using the stock search engine that either google chrome or chromium provide? Do you want a dark background too? if so that can be changed as well with "startpage" search engine...it uses googles search and works just like it but makes all searchs anonymous...it has its own settings panel as well and i like the dark night time look so i choose that one so i have a completely dark looking browser...in the "settings" panel of chromium/chrome...go to "search engine", "manage search engine" and then click "add" button an do the following...copy and paste these where each is indicated...DAMIEN

PS...this is what it looks like...click the url here to see that one of the Mods uses it as well and has pictured it here...(click on the image to enlarge it full screen)...enjoy

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=276559&start=20#p1519807

Add search engine

Search engine

StartPage
Keyword

startpage.com
URL with %s in place of query

https://www.startpage.com/?q=%s
then scroll down to "On startup"...and click to enable "open a specific set of pages" and copy and paste this where indicated

https://www.startpage.com/do/mypage.pl?prf=3c789dff97cd49a845d884a0cbd8fdee
this last one makes it stay in this "night" mode appearance

then make sure it is selected as the "default" search engine...then relaunch the browser, when it opens you should see "startpage"......on the right hand side there is a 3 line hamburger hash mark...click on it...it is the settings...make sure that the "home theme" says "night"...the next thing i do is...under the title

Web/picture family filter...i click "do not filter my results"...after that i disable the "Video family filter"...thats it...go to the bottom and click "save settings" relaunch and your done
will they implement the dark theme for the url bar and the suggestion drop down windows soon?
even though the trick on your first post works for the URL bar, it doesn fix the suggestion drop down windows showing white (eg. when you want to log in to a website/service the drop down window that shows you the username to use is white)

Portreve
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Portreve » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:00 pm

The theme is by far the least of it. I have the wholesale change they've made to their email and office software web UI. It's truly awful. No browser tweak is every going to make that go away.
Peoples of the universe, please attend carefully: the message which follows is vital to the future of you all.

overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:40 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 pm
if any of you are like me using gtk theme etc and like the dark look of previous 68 version of chromium/chrome but have the new updated "improved" version, then fear not...you can change that BUTT UGLY rounded at the corners, bloated looking, stark white address bar and other crappy looking things they have imposed on us back to that nice cozy dark look that we like...then all you have to do is just follow the easy instructions listed below and click the drop down box indicated and pick/click "normal" and restart browser...all will be like before that drastic design flaw made its way to us with version 69...DAMIEN

copy and paste this into the chromium/chrome address bar and then just click on the yellow highlighted box for the UI Layout...just click the "default" and then just click on "normal"in the drop down box...relaunch the browser and your good to go.
You should try the latest version of Brave! I'm trying out now, and the dark theme with dark URL bar looks nice https://brave.com/

Use this link to support my small website for free https://brave.com/let227

administrollaattori
Level 14
Level 14

Post by administrollaattori » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:50 am

I think that this topic should be in Tutorials, because it is good. :wink:

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:25 am

administrollaattori wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:50 am
I think that this topic should be in Tutorials, because it is good. :wink:
Enjoy it while you can, that flag stopped working in Chromium 71.

bassplayer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bassplayer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:32 am

overkill22 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:40 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 pm

You should try the latest version of Brave! I'm trying out now, and the dark theme with dark URL bar looks nice https://brave.com/

Use this link to support my small website for free https://brave.com/let227
Just installed the Brave browser and I'm impressed. Going stick to using it for while. Sites load up so much faster than with Chromium... Thanks for suggesting it to everyone!

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:25 am
Enjoy it while you can, that flag stopped working in Chromium 71.
Looks like it. The bug is being ignored: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=863230

It's still stuck with M69 instead of being punted to M70.

Plus, only 18 users have "starred" it, FWIW.

I don't care about the shape of the tabs or the address bar, but to have a white blotch on an otherwise dark page is SAD.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:54 am

aes2011 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 am
I don't care about the shape of the tabs or the address bar, but to have a white blotch on an otherwise dark page is SAD.
Pretty much. That and the other thing mentioned in that bug report:
One more issue: now the contast between the active tab and others is very low, lower than before, it's very hard to find which tab is active.
Plus another flag stopped working a few builds back: you can no longer remove the close buttons from inactive tabs (or ideally all tabs but that was never an option).

I don't like the Chromium UI to begin with but making it even worse? So annoying... :(

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:18 am

I just checked google-chrome-unstable ( that's currently v72) and it has:
Refresh
Touchable Refresh
Dynamic Refresh

But I wonder why they haven't applied the "WONTFIX" kiss of death. Perhaps it's not PC and Google is now more about PC I guess.

Return to “Open chat”