Who contributes most to open source?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Who contributes most to open source?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

According to this article, its NOT M$...lol...DAMIEN

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/wh ... prise-you/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Who contributes most to open source?

Post by gm10 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:51 am According to this article, its NOT M$
Oh really? According to the article:
Matt Asay wrote:Microsoft is the world's top corporate contributor to open source
He then makes up an additional ranking based on percentage of the company's employee's contributing, which is about as dumb as it gets. Apples and oranges has nothing on that guy.

But even with that he is not concluding what you are.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i made no conclusions, the reason why i posted the article...it shows that you can make any stats say anything you want them to say simply by moving the "goal posts" a little...lol...notice i made no "conclusions"...just my usual "lol"...im amused at how the "goal posts" were moved...he never truly commits himself, he just implies is all...does it qualify as fake news or just creative reporting?...DAMIEN

PS...when my mum was still alive, she was a CPA...i had 2 small framed signs made for her office...one said "creative accounting taught here" and the other said "figures dont lie but liars figure"...she thought they were funny and hung them right up as a joke of course...some columnists should have similar signs in their offices...lol...but they would certainly be no joke..."many a truth is said in jest"...DAMIEN
gm10

Post by gm10 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:57 am i made no conclusions, the reason why i posted the article...it shows that you can make any stats say anything you want them to say simply by moving the "goal posts" a little...lol...notice i made no "conclusions"...just my usual "lol"...im amused at how the "goal posts" were moved...he never truly commits himself, he just implies is all...does it qualify as fake news or just creative reporting?...DAMIEN
Apologies, I had misunderstood the gist of your post. Turns out I fully agree with you. :)

It's not fake news since his facts are correct and his process is transparent. It's just a nonsensical statistic so I'd file it under bad reporting.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I read the article you linked to, Damien, and the reason I hadn't posted a response until now was I really didn't see what you were trying to get at. I agree; the article is essentially pointless. It doesn't even have the utility value of saying how the data is little more than a passive propaganda piece for Microsoft.

If one knew no better, one would infer that Microsoft's role in free software has been significant when in fact they have always been a competitor to it. Moreover, rms's GNU project was largely the result of a reaction to companies such as Microsoft. This is little more than a modern-day attempt at embrace-and-extend on their part.

I have very little use for much of what passes for journalism today.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ud6

Post by ud6 »

Portreve wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 am ... I have very little use for much of what passes for journalism today.
+1
I try to avoid the news and Facebook because it's mostly voluntary brain washing. Because the internet news is consumed for free, the money comes from those promoting the stories. I doubt of anyone expected that 1984 would be realised by voluntary action on the part of the public. Thus, the article in question: work out what you want people to think, then find the data to support that.

Return to “Open Chat”