Jazz anyone?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
bobruzzo

Jazz anyone?

Post by bobruzzo »

Let's try this again! My wife and I have been vacationing alot up in New Hampshire. Every now and then you get a rainy day. So if we plan to stay somewhere at least a week I take a small computer and MIDI keyboard. I am a musician and producer. I like jazzy music and improv. So while vacationing in June and August I put together a whole album of original tunes. Here is a smooth sounding tune I posted on my website. I used just the MIDI keyboard to do all the instruments. And my friend sent me a drum track to play around with. The song has a keyboard, horn, acoustic bass, etc.....pretty simple.

https://classicmisfits.bandcamp.com/tra ... -hebron-nh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Jazz anyone?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

im from N.H. (presently retired here in N.M.) noticed also your from R.I...when i was married, i lived in barrington...the music is quite good thank you for sharing...DAMIEN
bobruzzo

Post by bobruzzo »

Hi Damien1307,

I've only been to Barrington a very few times in all the years I have lived here in RI. My Aunt lives in Little Compton. We come up to New Hampshire many times each Summer. Mostly hang around the Newfound Lake / Rumney / Thornton areas. Right now as I speak we are spending our last day of our September vacation in Weston, VT. I had hoped it would be more Fall-like weather but turning out to be another summer vacation with temps in the 80's. I retired in 2016 (Dec) and spend alot of time working on music. I do it for fun and my own amusement. This particular tune was recorded in August while we were staying near Hebron, north end of Newfound Lake in NH. Earlier this summer we spent a week over in Thornton NH, went to a few open mics. My Wife sings and plays guitar. So between both of these vacations I recorded enough material to make an "album", which is what I do with some music collections on the Bandcamp website. So anyway getting ready to bug out in the morning, back to Rhode Island.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI bobruzzo,

I like the soundtrack, nicely done. That was all done using a midi keyboard, even the horn? Got any more music we can listen to?

Looking forward to hearing how you do with Linux DAW and your midi keyboard.

Regards,
Phil
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
bobruzzo

Post by bobruzzo »

phd21 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:11 pm HI bobruzzo,

I like the soundtrack, nicely done. That was all done using a midi keyboard, even the horn? Got any more music we can listen to?

Looking forward to hearing how you do with Linux DAW and your midi keyboard.

Regards,
Phil
Hi Phil, yes I used an M-Audio Keystation 49es MIDI keyboard. Its a small-ish keyboard that has a nice feel to the keys. The horn on that song was "DSK Saxophones" vst soprano sax, which is my favorite sax sound. I try to pick the instruments that sound the least phony. And try to use them subtly. But horn emulation on a keyboard is never 100% realistic sounding. Plus my phrasing is probably not how a real horn player would do it! My main instrument is guitar.
Here is another tune from a few weeks ago. I thought I would do some recordings with my wife's hollow body jazz guitar. I had been doing alot of non-guitar stuff recently. no keyboard on this one. I used real instruments and my friend did drum track.

https://talismanbobruzzo.bandcamp.com/t ... -d-take-ii

And here is an older one from about 3 years ago. Since I can't find anyone around here that likes to play the style of music I like, a have to do it all myself. Luckily I have alot of drummer friends online who help. They send me the stereo drum tracks and I use the ones that I like. This tune is a "modal jazz" one and I played keyboard, electric bass and a MIDI flute. I am not a bass player but try to fake it, hence the buzzing strings in a few places. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have played all 1/4 notes on bass thru the whole song! But I was trying to do a "walking bass". Actually pretty much everything I play and record is modal-based. I don't play rock n roll and since I am getting older I prefer more mellower stuff. I do have some "upbeat" material but mostly I do tame stuff.

https://elementsofambiguity2.bandcamp.c ... ours-swing

I've got so much material that one of these days I will sort 'em out and pick out the ones that sound good.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'm not a musician, but I love listening to jazz.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”