Which movie about computers is your favorite?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
carum carvi

Which movie about computers is your favorite?

Post by carum carvi »

Computers are everywhere. They influence everything. Yet, they arent very noticeable in movies. There is an obvious reason situated in the fact that computers by themselves are not very dramatic or sexy. But it seems that the time period in which computers were most featured in movies was back in the sixties, seventies and eighties, while computers were only used sparsely back then. In those days computers were generally looked upon as a threat for several reasons. But while computers nowadays are being used for the most heinous attacks on who ever, there seem to be less good movies being made about them. There are enough movies about robots etc, but not about the influence that computers have on our daily lives.

My question is: which movie(s) about computers is (are) your favorite? And by computers I dont mean robots or androids. Although the line between these 3 becomes less and less visible.

I do love 2 movies very much in which computers have got a leading role by themselves. One is called "War Games" with Matthew Broderick.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

The story about Matthew Broderick just having fun in his bedroom hacking into computers is hilarious, when he accidentally locks into the nuclear chain of command computer. And that computer starts dialing back. Yes, it is a bit of kids movie, but I still enjoy it as an adult.

And the other one is "2001: A Space Oddyssey" by the legendary Stanley Kubrick.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/?ref_=nv_sr_1

2001 is one of the few movies in my lifetime that really blew me away. In this epic science fiction movie a computer on board of a spaceship becomes intelligent and starts making decisions on his own. Mind you, that movie was made in 1969. The first time I ever came into contact with a computer was in 1989. 20 years later.

Which are some of your favorite movies about computers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Which movie about computers is your favorite?

Post by ajgringo619 »

Enemy of the State, with Will Smith and Gene Hackman. Not really a true "computer" movie, more of a technology one. I put 1984 in the same class.

Now, for a true computer movie? Gotta love the original Tron.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

carum carvi wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 pm And the other one is "2001: A Space Oddyssey" by the legendary Stanley Kubrick.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/?ref_=nv_sr_1
2010, The Year We Make Contact, the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

In the sequel we discover what was going on in 2001.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus: ... in_Project
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I would have to say "Wargames" and "The Matrix"
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

The Matrix and 2001: A Space Oddyssey
You may want to set up a poll on this one would be interesting to see how it comes out.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Mister Potato Head! Mister Potato Head! Back doors are not secrets!
Definitely Wargames! Computers seemed a lot cooler back then. A true technological frontier.

I think 'Weird Science' deserves a mention. Anthony Michael Hall on legendary form amongst the highlights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qd04u2Yj44
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

"WarGames" has always been my favorite computer movie. Seems appropriate with all of the computer hacking which is running rampant in this day and age.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
snowflake

Post by snowflake »

I think Die hard 4 ,& yeah i believe it is about computers, that & blowing s$#* up
Adding "War Games" to my to-watch list
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

For me it is a toss-up between 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2010: The Year We Make Contact and WarGames. For me, HAL beats WOPR.

Other contenders include

Sneakers - great cast, somewhat plausible plot, and one of the best dance scenes of all time.

Hackers - a fun way to waste a couple of hours as long as you don't take the computer stuff too seriously and can overlook the barely-threatening villain. IIRC, it was the first films for Jonny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie; that should account for something.

Terminator and T2 - I include Terminator because you cannot have T2 without it.

Westworld - the 1972 original, not the tripe that followed. Yeah, it is more about robots, but still.

Live Free or Die Hard - ridiculous plot and some of the computer stuff is waaay over the top, but it is about computers.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Another vote for the HAL9000 here. The other computer "moment" that I really enjoy is in the Star Trek Movie "The Voyage Home" where Scotty talks to a computer in 1986:D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open Chat”