Xfce Forum Down?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Xfce Forum Down?

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Can someone check and let me know if https://forum.xfce.org - the Xfce community support forum - is down? If not, the issue must be on my end, I guess.

Thanks,
MDM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Xfce Forum Down?

Post by MrEen »

Not connecting here either. Server not found.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you can use a site checker like:
down for everyone:
https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
to check if it's your connection, or something worse . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Thanks, you two.

The strange thing is about this... strangeness, is that I was basically unable to connect to anything other than test-connecting to Google's search engine page earlier today. I happened to be talking to a friend on the phone at the time, and she lives 300+ miles away. She was having the same issue. Then, later, she called me back and told me that her friend, who lives halfway across the country was having trouble connecting to websites.

Later, when I regained connectivity, I visited a very busy (hundreds of posts per day) forum. Whe using their "new posts" link, I saw a gap of almost two hours where it had no post activity.

Someone tripped over the Internet's cord, lol? Or did "the United States" annoy one of those foreign governments that always makes sure to loudly deny that it had anything to do with a hacking activity whenever there is a major one? Most of the websites and Internet forums I visit are hosted on servers that are physically located inside the USA (including this one, which I was also unable to connect to for a while).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

MtnDewManiac wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:34 pm Someone tripped over the Internet's cord, lol? Or did "the United States" annoy one of those foreign governments that always makes sure to loudly deny that it had anything to do with a hacking activity whenever there is a major one? Most of the websites and Internet forums I visit are hosted on servers that are physically located inside the USA (including this one, which I was also unable to connect to for a while).
I think xfce.org has been down for a while or is often down. I wanted to check something there a few weeks ago and it was down then, too.
Last edited by gm10 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I was wondering what was going on. My DNS (OpenDNS) can't even resolve xfce.org (or at least, goodies.xfce.org).
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

At least Xfce itself is very much *not* down.... I'm a Dutch translator for the Xfce project at Transifex, and new additions and changes by the Xfce developers appear on an almost weekly basis. :mrgreen:

I don't think we'll have to wait long before Xfce 4.14 will be released.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

That would be great, but I'm actually in no hurry to upgrade. A some people probably are, though, so that is nice to read. I think I might have read that 4.13 is a development version, yet I've seen discussions that lead me to believe that a lot of folks are running it as if it was a stable(?) version.

Thank you for the work you are doing, by the way.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

gm10 wrote:
US President Putin was probably just doing a system's check before the election while his employees were busy performing the play they had rehearsed.
Reported for breaking rule "Messages that contain sensitive religious or political topics may be removed on the basis of inciting far too emotional and personal debate."
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Schultz wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:40 pm
gm10 wrote:.
Reported for breaking rule "Messages that contain sensitive religious or political topics may be removed on the basis of inciting far too emotional and personal debate."
It's cool to report me, and if you want to rub it in even send me a PM (or if you want to be nice send a PM advising I edit my post), but that post of yours is as reportable as mine (off-topic and trying to incite the debate that mine didn't spark yet you reported it for). Just saying. I didn't report you.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Schultz wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:40 pm
gm10 wrote:
US President Putin was probably just doing a system's check before the election while his employees were busy performing the play they had rehearsed.
I had just assumed the person's comment to be a joke. But, regardless, to report a post, simply use the icon-link at the top of the one that you wish to report; it looks like an exclamation point (!) inside a box. There is no need to comment about having done so. Such a comment can be construed by some as being the very thing that the administrator/staff implemented the rule to prevent.

While you were posting in my thread, did you happen to check to see if the Xfce forum was inaccessible to you, too?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

gm10

Post by gm10 »

Of course it was a joke (which I did remove after he posted, not everybody shares the same humour, so best just move on).

Back on topic, the domain is still down, seems it first went down on the 27th. You can possibly find out more via IRC (#xfce on freenode), otherwise just wait it out.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Political issues and political jokes are very often incendiary.... Although at times the temptation is great for me to talk about those on this forum, I usually manage to resist that temptation. Because I'm aware how destructive and divisive they can be. I therefore agree that this forum should only be about mutual technical support for Linux and technical discussions about Linux.

So I reserve my outspoken political views and political jokes for other fora, where the gloves go off. Ah, there's nothing like ramming home some plain common sense into what I regard as destructive delusionists. :mrgreen:

On topic: I've sent an e-mail to the mailing list of the Xfce developers. Perhaps they can tell us what's going on with their website. I'll report back here when I've received a reply.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
While you were posting in my thread, did you happen to check to see if the Xfce forum was inaccessible to you, too?
I did. I couldn't access it either. And still can't this morning.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Just saw this posted on the XFCE Reddit forum: https://twitter.com/xfceofficial/status ... 1494961152
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Return to “Open Chat”