Linux (and Mint) contribute to my anger levels

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Linux (and Mint) contribute to my anger levels

Post by andyO »

<vent>
I mean when I know there is such a solid OS as GNU/Linux (Mint) out there, it *really* irritates me when I am forced to fight against windows each day in work to get things done.

Sigh.
</vent>
:lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux (and Mint) contribute to my anger levels

Post by tdockery97 »

I sympathize with your situation, but don't actually know the feeling myself having been retired for several years now. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

andyO wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:09 am <vent>
I mean when I know there is such a solid OS as GNU/Linux (Mint) out there, it *really* irritates me when I am forced to fight against windows each day in work to get things done.

Sigh.
</vent>
:lol:
I think I can go you one better....

Imagine, if you will, having to use Windows (Win7 in this case, but that's soon to change) and, in addition, having the O/S loaded up with McAfee Host Based Security System (HBSS), Data Armor (data at rest encryption), and some other security package the name of which I don't even know.

One of the side-affects is that sometimes (at least two or three times each day) my browser (oh, did I forget to mention that IE is the only browser allowed to be installed) will load with the menu bar visible but totally inactive. I have to completely shut down all IE instances/tabs and sometimes that will fix it. Other times I have to completely log out and log back in again.

But, my employer pays me by the hour, not by the job - so if the tools they give me caused all this delay .... well, my take-home is still the same. :wink:
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Where I work they use win7 and MS server. When I get there I unplug the internet from the win7 machine and plug it into my Laptop running Mint and everything runs fine. :D
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The company I work for has 8.1 deployed everywhere. Many of the locations are using still 1280×1024 LCD panels, and a few have 1024×768 ones. Both the local application and the remote-running web based system are built around a 16:10 widescreen configuration which does work on the larger 4:3 panels, but it's kind of ungainly.

Everyone in the company who has a company-issued computer (typically a laptop or tablet/laptop thingy has MS Office (some very recent, maybe even current, version) and all the remote locations (stores) have LibreOffice because the company wanted to do this on the cheap.

Nearly every Excel spreadsheet in use had to be rebuilt to eliminate whatever M$-proprietary functions, replacing them where possible with calculations and other generic spreadsheet formulas. For a good six or more months, stores were stuck with Excel 2007 files which worked except for the functions. This caused lots of problems because non-tech-savvy employees couldn't make things work properly and were getting yelled at for not doing everything they were supposed to by other, more senior employees who did not know there would be problems, were not tech savvy themselves, or both.

We use Microsoft's sync software to get scanners to transfer data to or get data from the deployed desktop systems. Sometimes, it doesn't open automatically when the scanner is dropped into the base, and sometimes when that's the case, connectivity doesn't work. When that happens, the program has to me manually opened. However, rights restrictions on the computers mean you can't navigate to where the program lives, and the configuration does not give access to that or any other program but a launcher screen, so then it took ages for our IT department to realize this and remotely make a shortcut in the user folder.

The entire experience has been such an utter flustercluck that more hours than you can imagine have surely been spent in some manner dealing with all the problems our technology update rollout of 2016/17, or wasted by store users, or just otherwise list in productivity. There is no chance in hell this was economical.

All that is to say I'm so glad this sort of thing is strictly contained to my employer, and I don't have to deal with a lick of it in my own personal life.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

srq2625 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:53 am But, my employer pays me by the hour, not by the job - so if the tools they give me caused all this delay .... well, my take-home is still the same. :wink:
Actually... your take home is way better because of Windwoes. If, as you claim, you are paid by the hour, and you were running Linux...........you get the idea. No need to thank me.....;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

heh - I like your thinking lsemmens.

Sympathies to others here with a "profitable" working environment.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

andyO, you have my deepest sympathy. I discovered Linux in 2002, and that did it for me! I do on occasion have to use Windows, usually at somebody else's house, or when I'm setting somebody up with a dual boot system, and every time I curse Microsoft.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have been running Linux since 2003. No problems.
Right now I run a laptop with W10. Much too difficult to dual boot with Linux. I tried. I refuse to spend hours maybe days on the forums trying to figure it out. It use to be easy before W10.
I also run Mint on an older Acer laptop quite well. Not sure what I will do when the PC fails. PC's now come with an obstruction in the bios. It seems Linus cannot get around that obstruction easily.
I need the W10 for iTunes, iPad, iPhone, anyway.
Oh, not looking for help here.
L

Return to “Open Chat”