(Solved) Which 7-zip to use [on Windows]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) Which 7-zip to use [on Windows]

Post by miknun »

Hi
Following on with my earlier question, which I thought was completed. Which of the 7Zip products should I advise my colleague to use, she has a windows machine. I am not sure how knowledgeable she is.
I am using a Dell Inspiron Machine running Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia. Kernel: 4.4.0-127-generic i686 (32 bit) and I have P7zip-full installed.
There is a whole load that can be installed from https://www.7-zip.org/download.html
A think she will want a GUI version on windows with the ability to add passwords, if you can point out the best one I would appreciate it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Which 7-zip to use

Post by Moem »

So you're asking about software for Windows? Not sure this is the best place for that... in fact, it definitely isn't.
Moving this topic to the Chat area, for that reason.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Which 7-zip to use

Post by miknun »

Sorry about posting in the wrong place but my original post this morning was asking how I could get a password protected spreadsheet from windows that I could open and use with libre office. The answer was to use a zip file. Hence the new post.
All communications between people using computers rely on interpreting and use data produced and read on different programs. Whilst my question relates to the software used on a windows machine it is no good knowing this unless I can interpret the data on Linux Mint.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Which 7-zip to use [on Windows]

Post by Moem »

Archive Manager, that comes pre-installed on Mint, can read and create zipped archives, including password protected ones. The zipped archives do not need to be created with a specific piece of software.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

So if I have this correctly any zip file Winzip, 7zip or any other program/software creating it can all be read by any other zip program and all allow passwords to be used and recognise each other encryption.
If so the windows operator can use winzip and I can read it on Linux with pZip.
Is that correct.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I much prefer, still to this day WinRAR3
https://filehippo.com/search?q=winrar+64-bit

I have not let it update for 10 years, it works fine, the way it is...
I use filehippo's old version search for the 'good stuff' that worked good before someone jacked it all up.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yes, that's how it should work and normally works. Zip is a de facto* standard, any and all software that adheres to the standard should be able to read zipped archives created with any other such software.

*this means: it's not an official standard, but it is one in practice because no one wants to make software that produces zip files that can't be read with a different program. It would be very unpopular.

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi miknun,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I always liked the superb "PeaZip" application in MS Windows and in Linux Mint which also supports 7-zip and has excellent simple to use password encryption (AES 256) including being able to hide folder and filenames within the archive file (depending on the archive type like 7z). In Linux, I use the DEB GTK2 version.

There are also some other great features of PeaZip including secure delete, archive testing, and being to verify file checksums, etc...

PeaZip free archiver utility, open extract RAR TAR ZIP files
http://www.peazip.org/

PeaZip for Linux GTK2 version (deb file), save the file and double-click it to install it, may need to logout and back in for menu items to show up and to work properly.
https://osdn.net/dl/peazip/peazip_6.6.0 ... -2_all.deb

Note: Peazip may require installing the 32-bit libraries on 64-bit Linux computers.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
or

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 lib32ncurses5
Hope this helps ...
PeaZip1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Jendrej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jendrej »

Those different "editions" on the 7zip website are all the same thing. All with a GUI. The best one would be the 64bit exe for 64bit systems and 32bit for 32bit... Lol. The latest version of course.
I don't think 7zip it's too hard to use for normal people. And yes, you can encrypt the archives using the GUI. And set other things. It's not ffmpeg.
miknun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by miknun »

Thank you every body that has replied. Once more I have learnt a lot, I am not sure how long it will remain in my befuddled old brain. I hope I didn't upset any body by posting in the wrong area.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: (Solved) Which 7-zip to use [on Windows]

Post by Moem »

No worries, it all worked out in the end!

One last thing to watch out for: .7z and .zip are different archive formats. Make sure that whatever software you work with can use the correct one.

Return to “Open Chat”