Faster WiFi is going to be available in 2019

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Faster WiFi is going to be available in 2019

Post by AZgl1800 »

WiFi-6 is the new label

Being available, and in general use is not quite the same thing.
It will be years before it is a generally available service, especially in Hotel/Motel/Restaurants.... etc

and it can be quite meaningless if your ISP only provides you with 10mbps now anyway.

and the article talking about it
https://gizmodo.com/wi-fi-6-is-coming-a ... 1829516258

a list of devices that will support WiFi-6
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_802.11ax_Hardware

600 mbps on the local WiFi network? wow!
and 1.3gbps is coming too.
Even if you have no problems with download and upload speeds right now, Wi-Fi-6 is intended to fix some of the pain points that still exist: Trying to get decent WiFi in a crowded space, for example, or trying to connect 20 different devices to the same home router without the wireless performance falling off a cliff.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MintBean

Re: Faster WiFi is going to be available in 2019

Post by MintBean »

Meanwhile we're all going to get doused by higher power levels of microwaves and increased density of cell towers required to support a more strongly attenuated higher frequency carrier.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MintBean wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:10 pm Meanwhile we're all going to get doused by higher power levels of microwaves and increased density of cell towers required to support a more strongly attenuated higher frequency carrier.
Unless you are setting inside a cone of intense radiation, all of that is meaningless.

Intense being like inside that Microwave Oven....
what leaks outside of it no where near intense enough to cause bodily harm.
It is strong enough, that if I am within 6 feet of it, it causes harmonics to interfere with my Bluetooth headset on my cellphone. But that level is so minute (my noot ) as to be irrelevant..... I wear my Bluetooth headset a lot.

I have been a Ham Radio operator since 1958, and subjected to radiation measured at up to 1,000 watts ERP only 6 feet away from that antenna for years/decades, and it never upset my eyesight, nor my body functions, or my memory, or my circulatory system.... ERP = Effective Radiated Power

Now actually touching an electrical component can really get your attention.... in 1964 I was working as a field TV technician and was reinstalling a Color TV chassis into a TV set that I knew I had grounded the Cathode Ray tube when I pulled the chassis out for repair.....

but, I did not appreciate on that day, that a "Capacitor" ( the TV display tube ) will build back up to its' original voltage component, because once the anode lead is removed, there is no leakage path to drain that energy off.... Cathode Ray Tubes operate at ~30,000 volts

Well, little ole me, installed the TV Chassis, picked up the Anode lead from the Power Supply on the chassis, and started to plug it into the TV tube's anode connection.

at approximately 4 inches ( give or take ), a huge spark jumped out of the TV tube's Anode connection and bit my hand: and that really got my attention, like right now..... I jumped backwards so hard, that I went through the sheetrock on the wall behind me.... my employer's insurance fixed the wall.

the other TV technicians got a huge laugh out of my "experience".
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

WOW AZg...(...-...-...- x 3)...lol...(-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-)...another...lol...did not know you were a fellow "ham"...sadly, i let my FCC license lapse many moons ago, but i still remember the ARRL testing...lol...im of course like you when we had to be able to show morse code abilities as well as radio theory etc to pass our examines...i was an "amateur extra" at one time...i remember using rtty as well as keyboard, experimenting back and forth to japan using "slow scan tv" etc back in the early 1970s...lol... brings back very fond memories of the past...also you ride motorcycle...im a former member of "blue knights" chapter one...massachusetts...(now i know why we both seem to be speaking the same language out here...lol...)...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

yep,
I think we are on the same page a lot.

Licensed in 1958 as KN5AWO
six months later passed the General Test K5AWO
as I was born deaf, and have an extreme case of Tinnitus, I did not do well with AM or SSB.
my favorite mode was CW and over the years, my speed crept upwards....

somewhere around when keyboard keyers became the vogue, I bought one because I am a touch typist.
Listening to your own messages going out really helps to improve your ability to read code groups, and as you pass the 40 wpm levels, you start "hearing sentences"....
how that works is unfathomable to me, but work it does.

about 1981 a friend of mine in Hobbs, NM ( where we lived at the time ) asked me if I would go with him down to El Paso, TX to take the General Class ticket.... he was a Technician at the time.

I was sitting in the room with him just idly listening to the code tests that FCC examiner was sending out ( on tape of course )

when he finished, he asked me why I was not turning in an application?
I replied back to him, uh, well, you haven't even got past the 13 wpm test yet sir...

He looked at me kind of funny, and asked me "what did that last code run say?"
I forget now exactly, but it had to so with a general exchange of reports back and forth, QSL info, etc....

He then said, you write that down on paper, and you are now approved for "Extra Class" :shock:
20 wpm for those who don't know

and that was how I went from a lowly little CW operator to a "high speed" demon in the "real world"....
in 22 years, I never once used a microphone..... then 2 meters came along and then the Wilson Walkie Talkie was my daily rig for years in the company trucks.

I have not been "on the air" since about 1990 or 1991... an issue came up that I don't like to think back on.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AZg...my original call sign as follows, (-.- .- .---- --- .-- .--.), ...lol...DAMIEN

ps...could never get the hang of a sidewinder key so i always used either an old "brass pounder" that was originally used by western union as well as my favourite "j-38" refugee from WWII.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I started out on the J-38 and still have it.

My uncle gave me his VibroPlex sidewinder keyer that he used prior to WWII and thru the war.
I got to where I could do about 40 wpm with it....
used it from about 1960 thru 1980, that is when the keyboard keyer projects started showing,
MFJ just now popped into my mind, found this is still in production, I don't remember mine looking this way.
In fact, I don't think mine even had a readout on it. It just had a "speed knob" on the top left corner.
you had to just remember what you said while you were typing, I think it had a 256 character buffer.
MFJkeyboardKeyer.png
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:10 pm Meanwhile we're all going to get doused by higher power levels of microwaves and increased density of cell towers required to support a more strongly attenuated higher frequency carrier.
Oh, come on. What happened to diversity? The world needs more mutants.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:17 am hi AZg...my original call sign as follows, (-.- .- .---- --- .-- .--.), ...lol...DAMIEN
My original call sign...

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hey catweazel...now your just "blowing smoke" up my butt...lol...DAMIEN

"western Union
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T4QavHx8kg

Titanic CQD/SOS (authentic-sounding rotary spark gap tone and also for the code speed)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkwsU98QlQ
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I guarantee you that the message sent out on the Titanic was not nearly as fast as that.
they were using J-38 or equivalent keys on those old boats.

J-38's were born for WWII, so the keyers before that, I would have to research.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

they were actually using an old brass pounder like the western union type i used to use...mine was made around 1910 or so...and not to far fetched that the operator might have been able to do so that fast since he was a very experienced wireless operator...DAMIEN
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 pm Now actually touching an electrical component can really get your attention.... in 1964 I was working as a field TV technician and was reinstalling a Color TV chassis into a TV set that I knew I had grounded the Cathode Ray tube when I pulled the chassis out for repair.....

but, I did not appreciate on that day, that a "Capacitor" ( the TV display tube ) will build back up to its' original voltage component
:mrgreen: That happened to me once. Only a 14" CRT & I thought I'd fully discharged it - big enough spark; but so was the one which jumped across & bit me a few minutes later (about 3 inches) & that hurt for a good half hour or so.

Always do them twice, with a pause in between, after that. :roll:
catweazel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:25 pm My original call sign...
:lol:
I bet that's more reliable than some peoples' internet connections ...
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

If you haven't been bitten by a TV, you haven't lived. :D

I was fortunate the worst I ever got was 240v because I was not careful enough with the power switch. Never did get into that stuff, really. My strength was electro mechanical telephone exchanges. (mainly crossbar) Many sparkies complain that ringer is worse than 240v, I disagree. You blokes can keep your HV stuff, not my idea of fun! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:18 pm If you haven't been bitten by a TV, you haven't lived. :D

I was fortunate the worst I ever got was 240v because I was not careful enough with the power switch. Never did get into that stuff, really. My strength was electro mechanical telephone exchanges. (mainly crossbar) Many sparkies complain that ringer is worse than 240v, I disagree. You blokes can keep your HV stuff, not my idea of fun! :D
Funny you mention the crossbar switches:
I worked with the Stromberg Carlson X-Y switches for 10 years,
and the Western Electric Stroger switches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivQ7b3dtIzI

and yes, those 90VAC telephone ringers will light your eyeballs up if you get across the Talking Pair when an incoming call comes.

I have spent many a hot, sweaty day wiring up those things, and never got out of the wire closet w/o getting a tingle from brushing up against the #66 blocks.... all open with the tiny little clips to complete the circuits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAcuAgEwfbU

While we are on this, have any of you been required to use Beeswax cord to secure a wire bundle?
Plastic Zip ties were 40 years in the future when I did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsid71hFMNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CVvggAKBkk
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 pm
While we are on this, have any of you been required to use Beeswax cord to secure a wire bundle?
Bin there, done that! I quite liked lacing twine, as we called it. Speaking of wax, I had the unfortunate job of terminating the first jelly filled cable in Darwin. Have you ever had any fun with that stuff? I gave up doing it "by the book" which would have taken me days and just pulled out a bigger soldering iron. Wrapped the connection and then burnt the jelly off as I soldered the wire. It was way better than the lead sheathed paper insulated stuff they used for junction cables back then. I got out of Telecoms in 1990, so I don't know how the stuff held up in the tropics, which is where we were.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 pm
Bin there, done that! I quite liked lacing twine, as we called it. Speaking of wax, I had the unfortunate job of terminating the first jelly filled cable in Darwin. Have you ever had any fun with that stuff? I gave up doing it "by the book" which would have taken me days and just pulled out a bigger soldering iron. Wrapped the connection and then burnt the jelly off as I soldered the wire. It was way better than the lead sheathed paper insulated stuff they used for junction cables back then. I got out of Telecoms in 1990, so I don't know how the stuff held up in the tropics, which is where we were.
Jellly filled cable came along after I transitioned into Microwave Multiplexor and Digital Remote Acquisition monitors... was happy to get away from all of that wire bundle tying up.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Let's start a rumor that they are going to eliminate WiFi in 2020. I think that would be a lot of fun.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”