Bricking: It's not just for smartphones any longer

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Bricking: It's not just for smartphones any longer

Post by Portreve »

Here's yet another darned good reason not to use Apple's computer hardware. Any of the rest of you folks see this?

Gizmodo: Reports: Newest MacBook Pro Bricked If Not Repaired by Apple
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Bricking: It's not just for smartphones any longer

Post by catweazel »

Portreve wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:02 pm Here's yet another darned good reason not to use Apple's computer hardware. Any of the rest of you folks see this?

Gizmodo: Reports: Newest MacBook Pro Bricked If Not Repaired by Apple
If that happens in the Land of Oz, our feared Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) will have Apple in court quicker than you can say "huge fines", especially for a subsequent offence: https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/a ... sentations
The ACCC commenced an investigation following reports relating to ‘error 53’ – an error which disabled some consumers’ iPads or iPhones after downloading an update to Apple’s ‘iOS’ operating system. Many consumers who experienced error 53 had previously had their Apple device repaired by a third party; usually replacing a cracked screen.
Apple already got dragged through the courts here for bricking people's devices because of 3rd-party repairs...

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/i ... -penalties

It cost them AUD $9M. The next offence will be much higher.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

catweazel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:15 pmIf that happens in the Land of Oz, our feared Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) will have Apple in court quicker than you can say "huge fines", especially for a subsequent offence:

<-snip->

Many consumers who experienced error 53 had previously had their Apple device repaired by a third party; usually replacing a cracked screen.

<-snip->

Apple already got dragged through the courts here for bricking people's devices because of 3rd-party repairs...

<-snip->

It cost them AUD $9M. The next offence will be much higher.
Looking forward to seeing round two.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Portreve wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:27 pm
Looking forward to seeing round two.
and so are we :D it will be quite interesting, to see the result(s) of this,
as it will surely set a precedent 8)

the ACCC used to be a toothless tiger,, but in more recent times, it was allowed some teeth.
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

that was why I left Apple in 1983 and never looked back, they insist on controlling your wallet.
I will never, ever, in my lifetime buy anything that is not Android or 286 based. ( going way back, allowing for growth in that industry)
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:09 pm I will never, ever, in my lifetime buy anything that is not Android or 286 based.
You are most likely talking about phones, but this thread is not about phones.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Moem wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:36 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:09 pm I will never, ever, in my lifetime buy anything that is not Android or 286 based.
You are most likely talking about phones, but this thread is not about phones.
nope, I am talking about that company of Ill Repute: Apple and anything that has to do with them, whether it be a computer or any other device made by them. if the brand name APPLE appears on the package, I consider it trash and move on. I won't touch it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”