Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Chat about just about anything else
Post Reply
User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2722
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:28 am

and I have only been using it for 20+ years.

I think it explains why I have sometimes found two running copies of FF

just now, I was reordering the open tabs.....
I grabbed the one on the far Right and slid it across to the Far Left, and oops, went off screen....

then I noticed that all of my "other tabs" had disappeared?? huh?
then the Panel informed me that there are Two copies of FF running.
yep, the new copy contains only that one tab that slid off the screen, and the 1st copy does not contain that tab anymore.

Miscellaneous Trivia for those who don't care to know it

User avatar
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24
Posts: 23099
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by xenopeek » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 am

You can grab a tab, move it down and let go to open it in a new window. It's quite handy if you're working on multiple things and need to focus on something. Just drag it to move it to a new window You can also drag tabs from one Firefox window to another.
Image

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by gm10 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:44 am

What's the feature, being able to drag and drop a tab into a new window? That's no feature unique to Firefox, in fact I can't think of any tabbed browser that doesn't support this. You can also drag it back into your first window. ;)

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2722
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:56 am

just one of those things I had never been doing, usually I move my mouse slow enough to drop the tab right where I want it....

but, this brings up the fact that it does work like that, and I do have several applications I like to have open at the same time..... I think this will be a good way to keep my Database Evernote open all the time, without it cluttering up my internet browsing.

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2722
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:57 am

xenopeek wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 am
You can grab a tab, move it down and let go to open it in a new window. It's quite handy if you're working on multiple things and need to focus on something. Just drag it to move it to a new window You can also drag tabs from one Firefox window to another.
never tried that before, super slick.... guess I just never messed with "out of the box" tabbing.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by gm10 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:56 am
just one of those things I had never been doing, usually I move my mouse slow enough to drop the tab right where I want it....

but, this brings up the fact that it does work like that, and I do have several applications I like to have open at the same time..... I think this will be a good way to keep my Database Evernote open all the time, without it cluttering up my internet browsing.
You can also right-click a link to open it directly in a new window. There's likely also a mouse-shortcut for that but I don't know it.

User avatar
greerd
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 985
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:58 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by greerd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 am

You can do this in xed also, probably many other apps that tab.

User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2722
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:24 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 am


You can also right-click a link to open it directly in a new window. There's likely also a mouse-shortcut for that but I don't know it.
the Right Click on links is my favorite method, right click and touch 'T'
it is so much faster, and keeps house better.

User avatar
Jendrej
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:06 am
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by Jendrej » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm

gm10 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 am
You can also right-click a link to open it directly in a new window. There's likely also a mouse-shortcut for that but I don't know it.
The shortcut is clicking on the link with the mouse wheel. And if you click on a tab, it gets closed.
Image

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by gm10 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Jendrej wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm
gm10 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 am
You can also right-click a link to open it directly in a new window. There's likely also a mouse-shortcut for that but I don't know it.
The shortcut is clicking on the link with the mouse wheel. And if you click on a tab, it gets closed.
That's for opening it in a new tab in the same window, not in a new window. You can also Ctrl+Left click for that if you don't have a wheel button (e.g. touchpads).

User avatar
Jendrej
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:06 am
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by Jendrej » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:56 pm

Oh, sorry. I guess I can’t read well :D
I just checked to be sure though and it turns out that {shift + left mouse button} opens the link in a new window. And {alt + left mouse button} works as “save link as”.
Image

gm10
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4103
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by gm10 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Jendrej wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:56 pm
Oh, sorry. I guess I can’t read well :D
I just checked to be sure though and it turns out that {shift + left mouse button} opens the link in a new window. And {alt + left mouse button} works as “save link as”.
Hah! I remember trying Shift+Middle click before posting I didn't know the shortcut, so it was Shift+Left click instead. Guess they forgot the other one. :)

Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”