Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by AZgl1800 »

and I have only been using it for 20+ years.

I think it explains why I have sometimes found two running copies of FF

just now, I was reordering the open tabs.....
I grabbed the one on the far Right and slid it across to the Far Left, and oops, went off screen....

then I noticed that all of my "other tabs" had disappeared?? huh?
then the Panel informed me that there are Two copies of FF running.
yep, the new copy contains only that one tab that slid off the screen, and the 1st copy does not contain that tab anymore.

Miscellaneous Trivia for those who don't care to know it
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Just Discovered a unique feature in Firefox

Post by xenopeek »

You can grab a tab, move it down and let go to open it in a new window. It's quite handy if you're working on multiple things and need to focus on something. Just drag it to move it to a new window You can also drag tabs from one Firefox window to another.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

What's the feature, being able to drag and drop a tab into a new window? That's no feature unique to Firefox, in fact I can't think of any tabbed browser that doesn't support this. You can also drag it back into your first window. ;)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

just one of those things I had never been doing, usually I move my mouse slow enough to drop the tab right where I want it....

but, this brings up the fact that it does work like that, and I do have several applications I like to have open at the same time..... I think this will be a good way to keep my Database Evernote open all the time, without it cluttering up my internet browsing.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 am You can grab a tab, move it down and let go to open it in a new window. It's quite handy if you're working on multiple things and need to focus on something. Just drag it to move it to a new window You can also drag tabs from one Firefox window to another.
never tried that before, super slick.... guess I just never messed with "out of the box" tabbing.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:56 am just one of those things I had never been doing, usually I move my mouse slow enough to drop the tab right where I want it....

but, this brings up the fact that it does work like that, and I do have several applications I like to have open at the same time..... I think this will be a good way to keep my Database Evernote open all the time, without it cluttering up my internet browsing.
You can also right-click a link to open it directly in a new window. There's likely also a mouse-shortcut for that but I don't know it.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

You can do this in xed also, probably many other apps that tab.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 am

You can also right-click a link to open it directly in a new window. There's likely also a mouse-shortcut for that but I don't know it.
the Right Click on links is my favorite method, right click and touch 'T'
it is so much faster, and keeps house better.
Jendrej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jendrej »

gm10 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 amYou can also right-click a link to open it directly in a new window. There's likely also a mouse-shortcut for that but I don't know it.
The shortcut is clicking on the link with the mouse wheel. And if you click on a tab, it gets closed.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Jendrej wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm
gm10 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 amYou can also right-click a link to open it directly in a new window. There's likely also a mouse-shortcut for that but I don't know it.
The shortcut is clicking on the link with the mouse wheel. And if you click on a tab, it gets closed.
That's for opening it in a new tab in the same window, not in a new window. You can also Ctrl+Left click for that if you don't have a wheel button (e.g. touchpads).
Jendrej
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jendrej »

Oh, sorry. I guess I can’t read well :D
I just checked to be sure though and it turns out that {shift + left mouse button} opens the link in a new window. And {alt + left mouse button} works as “save link as”.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Jendrej wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:56 pm Oh, sorry. I guess I can’t read well :D
I just checked to be sure though and it turns out that {shift + left mouse button} opens the link in a new window. And {alt + left mouse button} works as “save link as”.
Hah! I remember trying Shift+Middle click before posting I didn't know the shortcut, so it was Shift+Left click instead. Guess they forgot the other one. :)

Return to “Open Chat”