a visit each day from a friend

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

a visit each day from a friend

Post by AZgl1800 »

An old tired-looking dog wanders into my yard. I examine the dog's collar and feel his well-fed belly and know the dog has a home.

The dog follows me into the house, goes down the hall, jumps on the couch, gets comfortable and falls asleep. Thinking this is rather odd, I let him sleep. After about an hour the dog wakes up, walks to the door and I let him out. The old dog wags his tale and leaves.

The next day, the dog comes back and scratches at the door.
Again, I open the door, and the dog comes in, goes down the hall, jumps on the couch, gets comfortable and falls asleep again. Again, I let him sleep.

After about an hour the dog wakes up, walks to the door and I let him out. The dog wags his tale and leaves.

This goes on for days. By now, I am really really getting curious, and I pin a note on the dog's collar: "Your dog has been taking a nap at my house every day."

The next day the dog arrives with another note pinned to his collar:
"He lives in a home with four children -- he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?'
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: a visit each day from a friend

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:37 pm This goes on for days. By now, I am really really getting curious, and I pin a note on the dog's collar: "Your dog has been taking a nap at my house every day."

The next day the dog arrives with another note pinned to his collar:
"He lives in a home with four children -- he's trying to catch up on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?'
lol
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi AZg...WOW...if the dog in your pic here is anything about this, i would say they are talking to each other and your dog saying to the other dog,...hey buddy...my owner is a soft touch...come sleep here when you need a break...my owner is a sucker for hard luck cases...he loves animals...im a fellow animal lover...im another sucker, the wild rabbits and skunks come up to me on my porch and i feed them by hand some kibble cat food, they even bring their babies to me to hand feed...i always make sure they have food even during winter...when spring comes, they are present again...have you ever petted a wild skunk without getting sprayed?...i pet them and their babies and never get sprayed...and the wild rabbits?...i sit on my porch and they just jump into my lap and bring their babies as well...this is natural for me and the rabbits and skunks...lol...the skunks spray everyone else's house in the neighbourhood, but never mine, i wonder why?...also, when i open my door to feed them, they have a habit of just walking in to look around...the feral cats ive been taming, (note...if i didnt take them in, animal control was going to put them down...they are totally able to be tamed...do not believe animal control officers when they say its impossible...ive done this for over 20 years and prove them wrong), they dont object but just go to my bedroom to avoid them, but the mother skunk and her babies do not stay too long, just a couple of minutes...she knows im going to put out water and kitty kibble out for them...DAMIEN
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Can I come too?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi Isemmens....you said,
Can I come too?
...i should add when i was a young boy back in massachusettes, i had a pet wolf, (three quarters wolf, one quarter husky) by the name of "nicki"...he would only respond to me...i had a very hated stepfather that always thrilled to beat me with coat hangers and belts...(he only did this when my mother was not at home and when nicki was outside or confined within the garage)...nicki was my protector...my fondest memory was when my stepfather came home from his second shift work one night,(about midnight), and went to my room to verbally and physically abuse me and wake me up,(because i didnt do the dishes before going to bed...i was 12 or 13 on a school night), he then went to the kitchen to carve up some roast for supper, (which "I" had made for him before going to bed) and nicki, who was sleeping in my room with me, who was also my protector, decided he did not like my stepfather, and regarded as a threat, just as much as i despised him, went to the kitchen with him...bared his teeth, growled, threatened him, went for his throat, then lifted his leg and pissed all over him showing his disdain...at that point, my stepfather pleaded to my mother sitting in the living room to "call off the dog"...she politely told him..."he's not my dog, he's robbies wolf...its a wolf, not a dog...nicki is in protection mode, he's protecting robbie and he is the only one he answers to or obeys, he wont even listen to me"...i also used to play with wild animals when i was 4 or 5 yrs old in my grandparents backyard including squirrels, chipmunks, skunks. etc....the first dog i had was when i was 5 yrs old...it was a boxer named "obie"...likewise, he always protected me not letting anyone get near me unless i said it was ok...to this day...im now 63 yrs old, my feral cats even do likewise...when someone comes to my house to visit me, they are in "attack mode" until they understand that the person visiting is not a threat...i do not understand why i have this affinity with animals unless it is to say, i probably love, trust, and respect, animals, and more importantly, they probably love, trust, and respect, me, more than ive ever been able to do so with human beings and the animals that have been part of my life just sense it...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

We have two very ferocious dogs, one is in the Avatar, this is the other one.
Missy is my Avatar pix, Kiera is the husky something or other....

the lady is my daughter, she's 42 and takes very good care of pop. Her mom passed 01/2017

Each night, we fill up the bird feeder hanging from the patio roof,it is empty by mid-afternoon.
Sunflower seeds seem to be the favorite, mixed with other grains.

the table gets 3 scoops of the feed mixture, and now at 11 PM, you can see what is left.
We get Cardinals, Bluejays, Finches, Sizzortails, and more that I don't know the names for.
usually there are 7-10 squirrels in the mix having all kinds of fun jumping from that table to the bird feeder, it "must be better", right?

My recliner faces the patio doors, the whole of that is my view during the day.... when the dogs are let out, ( wish they would learn to use that expensive doggie door ) the squirrels disappear in a rush, while the dog barks and jump up at them. We hung a big long dead limb from the closest tree to the porch to the far tree in the back near the fence. the squirrels run to the near tree, then across "the bridge" maybe 5 feet off the ground, while Missy is jumping and barking... lots of fun for us, and them. we go through about 20+ lbs per months of seed in the summer, about twice that in the winter months.
Kiera-2.jpg
Squirrel Feed 1.jpg
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

opened my eyes a bit ago, slept in late....

peaked out and see that today's rashion of Bird & Squirrel menu has been refilled.

Return to “Open Chat”