Thoughts on Incentivising Donations With Direct Support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
N3wb

Thoughts on Incentivising Donations With Direct Support

Post by N3wb »

Do some Linux distros have such concept of prioritised/direct support for people who donate/pledge money to their project? I feel like it's a good way to incentivise making contibutions/pledges for any distro project.
Also let me know if Mint has such a system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Thoughts on Incentivising Donations With Direct Support

Post by Pierre »

the Team.LinuxMint is a very small crew.
:o
they are. of course, very busy with organising the next release of each LinuxMint.
and between those releases, they are busy maintaining the list of current releases.

the LinuxMint Project is also Not a Commercial Project,
and as such, there is No Direct Support System in place,
and most likely, there never will be such a Support System. either.

yet, another issue, that regularly comes up, is the correct method,
- to use when contributing to the project, and again, this is also limited, with Paypal being the only valid method.
this also, causes some consternation amongst, willing supporters of the LinuxMint Project.

Unfortunately, most of these issues, can't be changed, mainly due to banking Issues & associated costs,
of just where the LinuxMint Team is physically located & the Banking Rules of the Country of Ireland.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
N3wb

Post by N3wb »

Any other Linux distro which does it though? What about Ubuntu?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

N3wb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:35 am What about Ubuntu?
Ubuntu offers 24/7 paid support:

https://www.ubuntu.com/support
N3wb

Post by N3wb »

gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:39 am
N3wb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:35 am What about Ubuntu?
Ubuntu offers 24/7 paid support:

https://www.ubuntu.com/support
That looks like business support, I was thinking more on the lines of setting a bounty for an issue you report. They get the money and the user gets the fix implemented.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

N3wb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:05 am I was thinking more on the lines of setting a bounty for an issue you report. They get the money and the user gets the fix implemented.
That's not donations anymore, that's paid services, gets taxed differently. From what I understood the Mint team specifically does not want to do that.

There are some projects that ask for money for implementing certain things, but I'm not aware of any distribution as such that does that.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I think funding issues here of a right ought to be kept very distinct, because otherwise you're talking about a tiered user community, and that was never the point of Richard Stallman's GPL concept. All people are equal under GPL.

Now, let's say a person or a group of people, or a business or a group of businesses were to say, "As user(s) of LinuxMint, I (we) really want foo, and we're willing to give x Euro to Clem to prioritize its implementation.” Now that would be a wholly different thing, and would not, as far as I can see, represent a violation of the spirit of GPLdom.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Portreve wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 pm I think funding issues here of a right ought to be kept very distinct, because otherwise you're talking about a tiered user community, and that was never the point of Richard Stallman's GPL concept. All people are equal under GPL.
Absurd. The GPL does not limit monetizing support in any way. All of the major distributions make money that way. You can also create GPL software for money. You should read the GPL.
N3wb

Post by N3wb »

gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:25 am
N3wb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:05 am I was thinking more on the lines of setting a bounty for an issue you report. They get the money and the user gets the fix implemented.
That's not donations anymore, that's paid services, gets taxed differently. From what I understood the Mint team specifically does not want to do that.

There are some projects that ask for money for implementing certain things, but I'm not aware of any distribution as such that does that.
Then the money can be used to incentivise it's priority in implementation, plus the work they'll put on it will benefit not just the donator but everyone using it. So how would it come under paid service?
N3wb

Post by N3wb »

Portreve wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 pm I think funding issues here of a right ought to be kept very distinct, because otherwise you're talking about a tiered user community, and that was never the point of Richard Stallman's GPL concept. All people are equal under GPL.

Now, let's say a person or a group of people, or a business or a group of businesses were to say, "As user(s) of LinuxMint, I (we) really want foo, and we're willing to give x Euro to Clem to prioritize its implementation.” Now that would be a wholly different thing, and would not, as far as I can see, represent a violation of the spirit of GPLdom.
The concept of GPL, if that is what you say should not stifle one's capacity to earn income legitimately. Plus the work would not exclusively benefit the donor, it could potentially benefit all who'd come across that issue. Plus all parities would reap the benefit of the work at the same time, not like the donor would get it first exclusively.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

N3wb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:50 pm So how would it come under paid service?
At the end of the day it depends on local tax laws in Ireland, which I know nothing about, so I cannot make a definitive statement. But generally speaking, if you say I pay amount X for result Y, and then you get result Y and pay X, that's a transaction and gets taxed as such.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:26 pmAbsurd. The GPL does not limit monetizing support in any way. All of the major distributions make money that way. You can also create GPL software for money. You should read the GPL.
Both GPL broadly and the Open Source Definition do not, as you say, limit monetizing, including selling software that's libre-licensed. That said, the intent was never to tier users such that some are more important than others. Nothing I've seen in any version of GPL, nor in any comments Richard Stallman has made, suggest otherwise. Ergo, what I've said is not, in fact, absurd.
N3wb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:54 pmThe concept of GPL, if that is what you say should not stifle one's capacity to earn income legitimately. Plus the work would not exclusively benefit the donor, it could potentially benefit all who'd come across that issue. Plus all parities would reap the benefit of the work at the same time, not like the donor would get it first exclusively.
The way it was stated up-thread to my eyes suggests the tacit implication that some users would become more important than others. In fact, though I didn't mention it, the first analogy which came to mind was rate scheduled Internet which is (or would be) prohibited by having Net Neutrality.

gm10

Post by gm10 »

Portreve wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:39 pm
gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:26 pmAbsurd. The GPL does not limit monetizing support in any way. All of the major distributions make money that way. You can also create GPL software for money. You should read the GPL.
Both GPL broadly and the Open Source Definition do not, as you say, limit monetizing, including selling software that's libre-licensed. That said, the intent was never to tier users such that some are more important than others. Nothing I've seen in any version of GPL, nor in any comments Richard Stallman has made, suggest otherwise. Ergo, what I've said is not, in fact, absurd.
No, of course the GPL has no such intent. What I meant is that the GPL has no intent at all in this regard. The GPL couldn't care less how you tier your users or if you have any users at all.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

N3wb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:05 am....................I was thinking more on the lines of setting a bounty for an issue you report.
They get the money and the user gets the fix implemented.
...i *think* elementaryOS does that:
https://www.bountysource.com/teams/elementary/bounties
https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%9 ... y%22&type=
N3wb wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:50 pm Then the money can be used to incentivise it's priority in implementation,
plus the work they'll put on it will benefit not just the donator but everyone using it.
So how would it come under paid service?
...some really weird ideas in regards to what commodity exchange economy is and how it works.
So how would you define the above...Potlatch? :)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thx-1138 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:16 pm Potlatch
I learn so many things on these forums. Fascinating. :)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Historically, pay-for GNU+Linux distros have all failed. Corporation-oriented ones, such as RedHat and SuSE Enterprise Linux, are viable, and have made quite a business out of it.

Return to “Open Chat”