Which timezone is used on this forum? And how many are american or european?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
carum carvi

Which timezone is used on this forum? And how many are american or european?

Post by carum carvi »

Which timezone is used on this forum? Or is every time of each post automatically adjusted to the place where one lives? I ask this because lots of forummembers live in the United States. I live in Europe. That' s a 6 to 9 hours time difference.

I got specifically interested in the fact of timezones when I noticed that posting at certain hours didnt give as quick a response as when I choose to post at another time. When I am awake in the morning, America is asleep, that idea...

Does this forum consists mostly of Americans or Europeans? If someone needs a speedy answer, what is the best time to post? Could be handy for newbies if they knew that most of the forummembers are asleep when the newbie is european. Or the other way around...

Another thing that makes me curious is the question if most forummembers are nightowls or early birds? I am both by the way. Early up at dawn. Late to bed. I have to catch up 2 hours of sleep in the afternoon. So I will and can post and reply at anytime. The only thing I am still lacking of is knowledge. I am still a newbie. Wide awake right now and clocking this particular post off at noon in Europe.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Which timezone is used on this forum? And how many are american or european?

Post by gm10 »

We've got members from all over the world and you can configure your time zone in the forum's User Control Panel.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Which timezone is used on this forum? And how many are american or european?

Post by Pierre »

the TZ that you see, is set in your Forum UCP,
& which can be seen under the Log-Out Button in the Top Right Corner.

the Forum does indeed have stacks of Folks from CONUSA & another pile from Western Europe, as well.

since I'm well ahead of most folks, then I've often been helping out some OP,
and thought that they were a Local - ie: in my TZ - - whereas it was 2AM or something, where they were,
& they were doing what I've sometimes done - - got caught up, with some computer issue,
and now it's well past their normal bedtime. :roll:

from what I've seen, it does seem that the most quiet time for the forum, is between 02:00Z & 10:00Z - roughly.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Thanks gm10. That explains a lot. I therefore cant see if another user is from another part of the world, just by looking at the time of the post, because everything is automatically translated to my european timezone.

Hi Pierre, great to see that you are all the way from Australia. That means that it is around 10 o'clock in the evening for you, when I am sitting at my lunch in Europe. You are the first one on this forum to see the sun rise. And set. But which timezone do you refer to when you say it is quietest from 02Zto 10Z hours on this forum? Do you use the European Timezone or the American or Australian in the above indication?

I had seen some geographic picture of Linux users around the world. I might be mistaking but I thought most of them were American. The original and newest updates in the standard setting come from America as well. I still use those american updates because I was told that they are indeed the most up to date, in comparison to mirrors in Europe.
Last edited by carum carvi on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 am
Hi Pierre, great to see that you are all the way from Australia. That means that it is around 10 o'clock in the evening for you, when I am sitting at my lunch in Europe.
according to my screen - -
- my last post was at 06:42 PM & your reply was at 06:51 PM
so - how did that translate for your screen ?.
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Pierre, your last post was clocked at 12.42 pm at my screen. It is still sunday in Australia right? Or is it already Monday morning?

New York is just about to wake up. It 's 6 o clock in the morning there right now. And it is Sunday ofcourse, so everybody has been partying all night. Wont be many early birds from the East coast of America on this forum right now.
Last edited by Pierre on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: it's Sunday Night - here
gm10

Post by gm10 »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 am I had seen some geographic picture of Linux users around the world. I might be mistaking but I thought most of them were American. The original and newest updates in the standard setting come from America as well. I still use those american updates because I was told that they are indeed the most up to date, in comparison to mirrors in Europe.
How up to date a mirror is has nothing to do with its location.

Besides, Linux Mint is a European distribution, and is based on Ubuntu, another European distribution, and the origin repositories for both of them are in Europe as well. Whoever told you otherwise was very mistaken.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 am
carum carvi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 am I had seen some geographic picture of Linux users around the world. I might be mistaking but I thought most of them were American. The original and newest updates in the standard setting come from America as well. I still use those american updates because I was told that they are indeed the most up to date, in comparison to mirrors in Europe.
How up to date a mirror is has nothing to do with its location.

Besides, Linux Mint is a European distribution, and is based on Ubuntu, another European distribution, and the origin repositories for both of them are in Europe as well. Whoever told you otherwise was very mistaken.
Correct. I'm too lazy to check it, but I expect that the main server of Ubuntu is in Great Britain and the main server of Mint is in Ireland.

I'm no German (I have only a German grandmother from Schlesien), so I don't have the German national obligation to be gründlich. :lol: If you wish to make sure, check it yourself....

Anyway, the main server is, of course, always the first with the updates. When the packages will hit a particular mirror, depends on the time that this mirror has been configured to synchronize with the main server.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

gm10 wrote: How up to date a mirror is has nothing to do with its location.

I had read somewhere on the forum, that some mirrors were behind in new updates and that it was adviceable for newbies to use the standard update settings from America, instead of a mirror from somewhere else. Could this have something to do with Timezones?

If all new updates originate from Europe are they processed automatically in the entire world simultaneously? Or has a Linux mirror in Fiji or PagoPago, to name two geographical extremes, a disadvantage because of the timezone difference?

Pjotr, I always interpreted the " .com " as an american update source. But that was silly of me ofcourse, because " .com " could be from anywhere. And as you pointed out, it is probably in Europe.

World time clock, just added for fun:

https://24timezones.com/#/map
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:21 am
Correct. I'm too lazy to check it, but I expect that the main server of Ubuntu is in Great Britain and the main server of Mint is in Ireland.

I'm no German, so I don't have the German national obligation to be gründlich. :lol: If you wish to make sure, check it yourself....

Anyway, the main server is, of course, always the first with the updates. When the packages will hit a particular mirror, depends on the time that this mirror has been configured to synchronize with the main server.
from memory - -the Main LinuxMint Server is is now over in CONUS, & whilst the Main Ubuntu Server is UK based.
:)
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Just to highlight my question about which time is the best to post in order to get a quick response I have posted a screenshot of this forum in which I was the one and ONLY forum visitor.
zero guests on the forum.png
Although my theory about not getting any quick answers isnt supported at all by this forum post of mine. Because I have had already 6 reactions within an hour, while all of America is asleep. But I was just curious about this TimeZone stuff anyways.

Clocking right now:
America is asleep. Europe is wide awake. And Asia and Australia are slowly getting to bed in the late evening. Thanks Pierre, for staying awake.
Last edited by carum carvi on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:24 am I had read somewhere on the forum, that some mirrors were behind in new updates and that it was adviceable for newbies to use the standard update settings from America, instead of a mirror from somewhere else. Could this have something to do with Timezones?
The original repositories (packages.linuxmint.com and archive.ubuntu.com) are naturally the most up to date because they update first and the mirrors have to copy from them.

When a mirror updates is entirely up to the operator of the mirror. It has nothing at all to do with timezones - computers don't sleep - nor location - it's the Internet, it's all interconnected. For the base mirrors (Ubuntu), there's an overview here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
Pierre wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:29 am from memory - -the Main LinuxMint Server is is now over in CONUS, & whilst the Main Ubuntu Server is UK based.
Yes, correct. The Mint staging server is still in Ireland, had confused it with that. Ubuntu/Canonical hosts out of London.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

carum carvi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:58 am ...
New York is just about to wake up. It 's 6 o clock in the morning there right now. And it is Sunday ofcourse, so everybody has been partying all night. Wont be many early birds from the East coast of America on this forum right now.
@Carum, part of US is awake. Each time zone probably has it own 'prime time'. However, I consider the forum as a global 24x7 resource, but you should not expect to always get an immediate reply. You never know who is going to reply or when.

What part of Europe are you in?

Enjoy the forum,
Wally
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

gm10 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:48 am
Pierre wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:29 am from memory - -the Main LinuxMint Server is is now over in CONUS, & whilst the Main Ubuntu Server is UK based.
Yes, correct. The Mint staging server is still in Ireland, had confused it with that. Ubuntu/Canonical hosts out of London.
just before I'd logged back in this time, I've checked those stated Times Above,
& they are exactly 12Hrs behind - - so the forum is definitely based in CONUS - - minus 4Hrs GMT.

8)
carum carvi wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:40 am Just to highlight my question about which time is the best to post in order to get a quick response I have posted a screenshot of this forum in which I was the one and ONLY forum visitor.
for myself, when I've logged in around 09:00AM Local Time - - It's Always Just Myself.
:mrgreen:
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "carum carvi",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It is nice to know what the various time zones are when conversing with or reading posts and replies from others around the world.

There are some great websites for time zones and various apps (clocks, etc...) that can be used to help with this.

Time Zone Map
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

TimeZones1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I kind of liked the idea back in the 90s of Swatch Time, where the day was decimalised. I also think the world should switch to picas and points for units of measure, and furlongs per fortnight for units of velocity.

So, I'm about 453p tall, give or take 0p1 or 0p2. Most local roads have a speed limit of about 45 mp/h, which (obviously) is 120,960 furlongs per fortnight. So much more sensible.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

HaveA Mint and Portreve, you fellows come up with some great mindboggling ideas. I have read the link that HaveA MInt has posted and the ideas that are proposed in that interesting link. Portreve, your ideas are very interesting as well.

I think we all have to blame Julius Caeasar for the mess we are in today with a calendar that starts in january. Who would ever come up with that? Why not start our calendar in April? When the sun starts shining and spring is around the corner? At new year we now go from one cold month into another cold month and we celebrate that worldwide with a fever as if something great has happened.

But my original post was about timezones and although ONE timezone would be handy for business, it would confuse Dolly Parton, who could not have written her hit single "9 to 5" anymore. One timezone would be great for global business but it would confuse oridinary people, when you see the sun set at 8 am or something similar.

Pierre, I read your latest post but how can it be, that when you log in you are always the only person online on the forum. When you log in at 9 am local time in Australia, it is 1 am in Europe and 2-8 pm in the USA a day before. So there must be lots of americans awake and active on this forum, when you have just woken up in Australia.

My comment about Pierre his post from Australia is a good example of why I am interested in timezones on this forum, because Pierre lives in Australia and is in deep sleep right now. It is already Monday night in Australia right now so he wont be able to answer my question anymore. Tomorrow he will have to go to work and in another 24 hour he or I will have forgotten this post altoghether...

PhD21 I agree with your opinion that If every forum member could see in which timezone a forummember lives, then it maybe could enliven or better the exchanges between forum members. Especially for newbies who are in panic about a problem they are not able to fix, it could be handy to know who is still going to be awake to return a new question...

This message is clocked off at 7.30 in the evening in Western Europe.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, to actually address points made in the OP...

I live in EST. Personally, I wish we could through treaty all roll the planet to a middle average between summer and winter time, and call it good once and for all.

I have absolutely no knowledge of or about this message board's internal workings. As a former coworker of mine used to like to say, “Not my circus, not my monkeys.”

My job has an early start time; therefore on the whole I'm up pretty darned early (2-3 in the morning) and in bed at a correspondingly early time in the evening. I help where (and if) I can. Mostly, though, I think I just provide comic relief around here, and I'm good with that.

In all seriousness, I wish the U.S. would just freaking metricate already because the rest of the world has, and most (rightfully) wonder how the supposedly "leader" of the free world can get by and not keep up with everyone else.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'm ahead of all of you, until, of course, someone from further east logs in. So, theoretically, I am the first to see the posts...........

Seriously, I like this forum because we do have members from all over the world and, because of that, we do not usually have to wait very long before someone comes up with a solution to our problem. It certainly is better than many localised forums.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open Chat”