How To Fix Windows 10 1809 Deleting User Files On Update

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
kukamuumuka

How To Fix Windows 10 1809 Deleting User Files On Update

Post by kukamuumuka »

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-t ... ser-files/
The Windows 10 1809 update has a bug that is possibly one of the worst bugs that a Windows update has ever had. This bug is deleting user data. It’s affecting users both on Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. It doesn’t seem to be affecting a lot of users but the bug isn’t something to be ignored. As for the fix, you can only apply it before you update to the next version and, unfortunately this fix is only for users on Windows 10 Pro. If you’re on the Home version, you should back everything up before you update. Here’s how to fix, or more precisely, prevent Windows 10 1809 deleting user files.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How To Fix Windows 10 1809 Deleting User Files On Update

Post by Pierre »

that article only gives a solution for Prevent Windows to change the policy called “Delete user profiles older than a specified”,,
but, unfortunately doesn't give a solution to Actually Recovering Those Deleted Files.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Pierre wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:33 am that article only gives a solution for Prevent Windows to change the policy called “Delete user profiles older than a specified”,,
but, unfortunately doesn't give a solution to Actually Recovering Those Deleted Files.
:(
Yes. For recovering, TestDisk is one solution.
TestDisk Step By Step -> https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Real Issue, from what I've read so far,
is that it's still an unknown, as whether the Files are actually being Deleted,,
or are just being moved to some Hidden Folder.

if the Former, then TestDisk is an workable option, but otherwise more detail is needed,
& that is still largely an unknown .. ..

Microsoft reportedly fails to assist with deleted files after Windows 10 update:
https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-ana ... 38151.html
Despite claims by a company executive that Microsoft tech support has the tools to help users recover the files deleted by the "Windows 10 October 2018" update, users have not yet been able to avail the facilities, a media report has said.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

administrollaattori wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:01 am unfortunately this fix is only for users on Windows 10 Pro.
If you're on Pro, just defer upgrades. I don't join in the Windows bashing because I enjoy Windows 10, but Microsoft is known to have become sloppy with the quality control since its release, so just wait for issues to get fixed before you upgrade. The Win10 Home edtion users are the beta testers group, so wait for them to do their job. :lol:

Never had a problem myself doing it this way. That's also why I cannot say what happens to the files, I'll only upgrade in a few months. No rush.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

as of yesterday, Microsoft halted the upgrade, and has recalled it until more QC is done :lol:

so, if a user's Win10 has not updated at this point, it won't, until MS pushes thru "an improved version"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Only complete newbies:
- save their documents in c:/users/%username%/documents
- have no backup
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BigEasy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 am Only complete newbies:
Why? Only some home users don't save them there, maybe. Everybody else either has a document management system installed or is using exactly that folder, because that's what it's there for. System administrators should check themselves in if they allow you to save them anywhere else. The idea alone is a nightmare.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

gm10 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:44 am
Why? Only some home users don't save them there, maybe. Everybody else either has a document management system installed or is using exactly that folder, because that's what it's there for.
The problem is that everyone knows about it. Therefore, the folder becomes the target of both targeted attacks and involuntary programm errors.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BigEasy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:37 pm
Why? Only some home users don't save them there, maybe. Everybody else either has a document management system installed or is using exactly that folder, because that's what it's there for.
The problem is that everyone knows about it. Therefore, the folder becomes the target of both targeted attacks and involuntary programm errors.
Security through obscurity is hardly a solution. And ransomware will encrypt your entire drive, anyway. Besides, in a professional environment you need to be able to handle roaming profiles with centralized backups, so there's no way you can let your users just scatter work product in random locations that you don't know about.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Of course there is no all-purpose protection against everything. But those who never save files to profile folder sleeps better at night.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BigEasy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:01 pm Of course there is no all-purpose protection against everything. But those who never save files to profile folder sleeps better at night.
Sure. I was just objecting to the "only newbies" part of your remark. On my private Win10 desktop my data is on a separate partition from the system even. I sleep soundly. :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

- have no backup
Absolutely,
I never, ever, save anything in "My Documents"
the most horrible thing MS ever devised, when they do updates, the system crashes, all of that stuff is deleted.

I kept my documents in separate folders hidden away from Admins, when I worked in networked environments.
c:\DATA\....

and that was backed up by AlwaySync to a full time USB that I kept for my own personal use.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

gm10 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:52 pm
BigEasy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:37 pm
Security through obscurity is hardly a solution. And ransomware will encrypt your entire drive, anyway. Besides, in a professional environment you need to be able to handle roaming profiles with centralized backups, so there's no way you can let your users just scatter work product in random locations that you don't know about.
where I worked, in a city government office, the IT master was the most evil person ever, when he retired, no one came to his "retirement party"....

when I retired, I had pizza delivered to my office, and alerted my friends to "free lunch", and the next day, I never showed up again.... it was an inside joke, that us who do the work, never informed the idiots above us on anything. Payroll knew that I had retired, but no one else. My working buddy is retiring next month, he tells me that there is still talk about how I rigged the system when I left.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

#Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) has a bug in Backup and Restore that causes all #backups to fail with error code 0x80070013, The media is write protected. No working solutions so far, except for reverting to the version 1803 of Windows 10.
:lol:

Return to “Open Chat”