Thinking back to my childhood days

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Telyx
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thinking back to my childhood days

Post by Telyx »

I had a couple of lawnmowers with no engine (a "Silent Scott's" and then a "Scott's Classic"). Great exercise and it really mystified the local kids.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I think back to road trips when i was young...the billboards we would see from Florida all the way to New Hampshire, were the "Yokens, thar she blows" seafood restaurant on Lafayette rd. in Portsmouth NH...very famous and well known back then...my younger brother was one of their chefs...sadly it was closed over 13 yrs ago now...i was there for their last evening being opened enjoying my seafood that night...the other signs i remember on road trips were for "Stuckeys"...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

"Stuckeys". has vanished here in the Southwest, can't remember the last one
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:25 pm I think back to road trips when i was young...the billboards we would see from Florida all the way to New Hampshire, were the "Yokens, thar she blows" seafood restaurant on Lafayette rd. in Portsmouth NH...very famous and well known back then...my younger brother was one of their chefs...sadly it was closed over 13 yrs ago now...i was there for their last evening being opened enjoying my seafood that night...the other signs i remember on road trips were for "Stuckeys"...DAMIEN
Mid-50's when I was a boy and lived in El Paso, I remember seeing the "Bowlin's Running Indian" signs on the road in New Mexico. (Probably not-PC these days.)
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Telyx wrote:
I had a couple of lawnmowers with no engine (a "Silent Scott's" and then a "Scott's Classic"). Great exercise and it really mystified the local kids.
I guess you mean a reel mower? I still use one, bought it last year. This one: https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-2000-20-2 ... reel+mower
AZgl1500 wrote:
"Stuckeys". has vanished here in the Southwest, can't remember the last one
There's still a handful south of you in Texas. If you go to their website you will see their locations make a ¾ circle around OK (north, south and east). Every time I think of the long road trips we took when I was a kid, I think of Stuckeys.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Telyx wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 pm I had a couple of lawnmowers with no engine
Used to have one of those too. It worked quite well & no long extension cables to trip over or cut through. :mrgreen:
mediclaser wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:46 am I have the privilege of having friends older than my grandparents. Two of them (a couple) still have a rotary phone.
:mrgreen: I'm undoubtedly of grandparent age, but have had this as my main (and usually only) phone connected to the landline since 2011:
746.jpg
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:26 pm the last rotary phone dial equipment that I used,
was the Wall Phone in our Communications shacks on the cross country gas and oil pipelines that I worked with.
Fascinating to read about this stuff. How long ago was that, if that's OK to ask? :)

As for some of the old words and phrases mentioned, it's evident that some of those are quite national or regional in nature. The latter is certainly the case around various parts of England. It's interesting to learn of them.

Not sure if this was a UK thing, but I wonder how many remember the old Robertson's Jam mascot. I have a set of Golliwog badges from before they dropped it for supposed PC reasons. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

BG405 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:39 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:26 pm the last rotary phone dial equipment that I used,
was the Wall Phone in our Communications shacks on the cross country gas and oil pipelines that I worked with.
Fascinating to read about this stuff. How long ago was that, if that's OK to ask? :)
I hired on in 1969 and they had been hanging on the wall there since 1929.
I saw my last one working for Shell Pipeline back in 1991 when I moved to Phx, AZ to work for the fire department.

Actually, that is all wrong, I still have one out in my shop, laying up on a shelf... kept it for sentimental reasons. don't have a landline to hook it up to though. I went all cellphones back around 1996 IIRC.... been a long time, it was a dinky little Nokia with a single line LCD display that would show the ph# and nothing else.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Ah, would you adam and eve it, the old dog and bone is brown bread. Tell the dustpan lids to take a butchers and they still wouldn't have a didgeridoo. Talking of loafs, me barnet has seen better days and the old mince pies are a bit pony too! Anyway, feeling a bit hank, cuppa rosie and maybe a ruby, and as the septics might say, i'll be hunky dory!

Try that lot with anyone under 20 in London! :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Being a motorcycle rider, one of the oldest things I can remember our cohorts saying is:

HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:54 pm "Hi yo Silver Away!!!" and Tonto, his best friend.
The Lone Ranger and Tonto were riding West to save the day when they came up to a hillside and saw it lined with the Navaho, The Lone Ranger turned to Tonto and said "Tonto the Navaho are to the west what do we do?" Tonto replied "We head North". They headed north to the next hillside and the Apache filled the skyline. The Lone Ranger turned to Tonto and said "Tonto the Apache are to the North what do we do?" Tonto replied "We head to the east". They rode for a few hours and came up to the next set of hills and saw the skyline filled with Comanche and the Lone Ranger turned to Tonto and said "Tonto the Comanche are to the east what do we do?" Tonto replied "we head south."
They headed south for hours and came up to a hillside and saw Lower Umpqua, The lone Ranger turned to Tonto and said "Tonto we have Indians to the north, south, east, and west what do we do?" Tonto looked at the Lone Ranger and replied "What do you mean WE pale face".
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Open Chat”