Dr Who!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Dr Who!

Post by lsemmens »

I asked a simple question in another thread that will be a major hijack, so I thought it best to ask here.

Did anyone watch the latest Dr Who? Thoughts? Opinions? Is the female doctor going to live up to the history? I suspect, that it is going to be quite polarising in viewpoints.

Since I ask, I'd best venture my own opinion. I've been a fan since Patrick Troughton and have seen every episode produced. I also have re-watched them all in the last few years including the re-makes where the originals are lost. Of the "new" doctor series (2005 ff) there have been some quite reasonable doctors. I thought that Peter Capaldi had the makings of a good doctor, but the scripts he had to work with were pretty ordinary. It's a pity they didn't kill off the script writers and keep Capaldi, That said, This bird might have a chance, so far they haven't gone all P.C. or "inclusive" and, if they leave that stuff alone, she might be a very good incarnation. Some of her moments reminded me of Tom Baker, if she is half as good as him, she'll be well ahead of those who followed Tom up until the show's hiatus until 2005.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Dr Who!

Post by xenopeek »

Has any casting for the Doctor not been polasiring in this Internet age? There's been several actors whom I couldn't stand in the role (David Tennant is the worst). I've skipped a lot of seasons to be honest. To give you polarising: it's no Red Dwarf :lol: The most memorable actor in the role, for me, is Tom Baker but that may be just nostalgia from me watching the show as a kid.

I thought Jodie Whittaker did well in the role, as did the rest of the main cast. Personally I found the script of the first episode a bit lukewarm but hopefully with the main characters introduced the show will pick up a bit in the next episodes.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I am a Classic Era Dr. Who fan.

The new production obviously runs circles around the old one insofar as budget and technicals are concerned, but I am entirely at odds with Russell T. Davies', Stephen Moffitt's, and from what I know of it Chris Chibnall's vision(s) for the show.

I gave up watching it during David Tennant's time in the role. What I've seen of Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi have simply reinforced for me that the show has continued to deteriorate.

I was accused on Twitter by Nicola (Peri) Bryant of being one of the people who made Peter Davison quit Twitter. I highly dispute that since I've never attacked him and actually agreed with an interview he gave ca. 2010-11. At this point, I've effectively withdrawn from interacting with her or anyone else connected with the show because, as lsemmens pointed out above, this whole thing is a near-politics/religion level polarizing subject for a great many people.

I do not wish ill upon Jodie Whittaker or any other person. On the contrary, I hope she has a wonderful life and enjoys much career success. However, I do not champion what she's been hired to do: namely, depict a total retcon hermaphrodite vision of the Gallifreyan species.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i believe the new female doctor will have the same fate as Capaldi, bad writing and way too much political correctness. i am a moderate whovian, having watched the older shows on public tv starting in 1984, but i was very into the 2005 reboot with my favorite Matt Smith doctor. I did not like Capaldi at all especially the guitar and glasses.
the chemistry between the doctor (matt), rory, amy and river was the best for me and can't be replaced. i didn't mind any of the doctors but i had a really hard time liking Capaldi, not sure why.

i was always eager and waiting for the next Doctor Who episode until Capaldi, when i started slowing down. i believe i watched the 2005 reboot at least 5 or 6 times possibly more, but only with the first 3 doctors. the tease about the next reincarnation doctor (capaldi) in the war doctor special had me quite intrigued, until the season started when i really started disliking the doctor. did i mention i didn't like Capaldi :lol: but i had no issues with the rest?

i'm quite sure i will feel the same about the female doctor, and i feel that Doctor Who is on it's last legs. i watched season 11 episode 01 with no enthusiasm and i didn't even feel as if i was watching a Who episode.

i wanted to be like Image but i wasn't
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 am Some of her moments reminded me of Tom Baker, if she is half as good as him, she'll be well ahead of those who followed Tom up until the show's hiatus until 2005.
I haven't watched any of the new episodes yet so it'll be interesting to see if it's any good with the new cast.
xenopeek wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am The most memorable actor in the role, for me, is Tom Baker but that may be just nostalgia from me watching the show as a kid.
Tom Baker was also my favourite, although probably for the same reason you suggested.

I thought there was a limit on the number of possible regenerations? Maybe this is one reason they have done a gender switch. I seem to remember an entire regeneration being wasted on a one-off show back in the 1980s or early 1990s. Haven't been following the later series though.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:19 pmI thought there was a limit on the number of possible regenerations? Maybe this is one reason they have done a gender switch.
There was (12) until there wasn't. Basically, whatever serves the immediate interests of the production trumps any established rules, norms, and customs of the series.
I seem to remember an entire regeneration being wasted on a one-off show back in the 1980s or early 1990s. Haven't been following the later series though.
Yeah, that would be the 1996 Dr. Who movie, filmed in Canada but which took place in America, introducing Paul McGann.

Most of us are still trying to forget it like a bad hangover.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

and now, some-one has had the audacity to Rank The Drs in order:
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/every ... 12168.html
don't agree, myself, with their order, but nether-less .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I don't agree with their order either. It appears to be based entirely on the personal opinions of the author(s), rather than a scientific study gauging average viewer numbers per actor, in relation to the alternative programming available at the time of viewing, or something like that. It'd be quite a challenge to do a proper scientific study like this, I think.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Their list is somewhat biassed. I'd also suggest that those who created that list did not grow up in the era of the original doctors. At the top for me would be Tom Baker followed closely by John Pertwee the others can fight it out for the other spots.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:55 pm At the top for me would be Tom Baker followed closely by John Pertwee
I agree with all your post, especially this bit. Mind you, I grew up in the era where Tom Baker had always been "The Doctor" (from 1974 to 1981 no less, so they must have gotten something right).

Return to “Open Chat”