What was your very first post as a newbie?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
carum carvi

What was your very first post as a newbie?

Post by carum carvi »

I am only 1 year old on this forum. 1 year and a couple of months. Still cant walk or talk. Dont be fooled by my level 4 tag, I have been mainly asking questions. It is funny though to look back what my very first question on this forum was that I posted. I had to laugh about it myself, because it was such a chaotic question. I was still in complete "microsoft windows" panic at the very beginning, because I couldnt believe LinuxMInt did not need an antivirus program. Took me more than a month before I was reassured that LinuxMint was the safest OS.

Anyway below is my very first post on this forum. And I am curious which posts other forum members have posted as their very first post, being a newbie.

"I see different versions of ubuntu and mint mentioned in the upgrade list. For example mint4 is listed. I have Mint 18.1.So I can safely ignore the upgrade for Mint4, right? Or wrong ? My shield is still blue and keeps mentioning that there are more upgrades available. I ignore the level 3 and 4 upgrades anyway. But they keep being listed and offered in the refreshed upgrades however I did change the preferences for this. Ubuntu is listed many times. LinuxMint is based on Ubuntu. Should I install all ubuntu software upgrades or only special version numbers ? I am confused."
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What was your very first post as a newbie?

Post by tdockery97 »

My first post as a newbie in January 2010:

I also am among the growing number of Windows users who wanted more from my os. Three weeks ago I downloaded Mint 8 and installed as a dual boot with Windows 7 on my new laptop. It only took me one day to begin using Mint almost exclusively, when I saw that my wifi speed quadrupled in Mint (I don't know what Windows 7 was doing to retard my speed). Last night I realized that Mint is, indeed, ready to replace Windows. I pulled out my live cd and reinstalled, sending Windows 7 into oblivion. Thanks to the Mint development team and all of you helpful users who made this switch possible.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Geez, I joined three years ago, so I don't remember and I don't know how to find all my posts sorted by date.

EDIT: thanks to karlchen, I found my first post:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=197649&p=1025904#p1025904
Last edited by JerryF on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

13 years ago on the Dutch Ubuntu forum. I wanted to know how I could install antivirus in my Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger. :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JerryF wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 pm I don't know how to find all my posts sorted by date.
Here you go.

And here's mine:
If anyone is looking for easy and cheap ways to add wifi support to computers with no, or badly supported, wifi cards:
I bought some of those tiny USB wifi adapters at one of the Chinese electronics stores, they have the Realtek chipset RTL8188, and they work out of the box on Mint, too. I paid less than $2 a piece!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

My first post was so log ago, I forgot,

Anyway the topic was "{SOLVED} How to copy a file in terminal?"
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I was basically just after a bit of reassurance about security setting up my first Mint based media server - viewtopic.php?f=90&t=177423&p=918546#p918546

Didn't post again for over two years - then had my first problem a few months after moving my main laptop from Win 7 to Mint 18 - viewtopic.php?p=1230527#p1230527
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

JerryF wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 pmGeez, I joined three years ago, so I don't remember and I don't know how to find all my posts sorted by date.
You open the list of your own posts.
Then you go to the last page in this list.
And very likely the oldest of your post will be at the bottom of this list.

If you want to make absolutely sure you find your own first post in this forum, then you use "Advanced Search".
You "search for author:" JerryF
You "sort by post time" (X) ascending.
You leave the rest on its default values.
Then you click on [Search].

Your oldest post will be on top of the list.
Should be this post: See / folder on tablet connected by USB [SOLVED]

In my case this returns this post, not that anybody would care any longer or find the post interesting. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Few hours after joining the forum, my first post was helping on the "Katya screen resolution issue" with suggestions on modelines and automating them with a script :shock: viewtopic.php?t=76085#p444558

Took me a week before I introduced mysefl: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=77319. I was real happy with Katya :mrgreen:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Pierre wrote: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:21 am In the Main Edition you add Workspace switcher to the panel.
Then right click and click preferences to get to how many to have.

Now, that is just what I was looking for....

I like my Multi-Desktops !.

P.
and I still like my Multi-Desktops !. ..
8)

Actually - here a side question:
- Do you still have a copy of the First LinuxMint System that you played with ?.
as I've still got that & it's still installed on an old Laptop - - LM05 Elyssa LTS
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

karlchen wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:17 am
JerryF wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 pmGeez, I joined three years ago, so I don't remember and I don't know how to find all my posts sorted by date.
You open the list of your own posts.
Then you go to the last page in this list.
And very likely the oldest of your post will be at the bottom of this list.

If you want to make absolutely sure you find your own first post in this forum, then you use "Advanced Search".
You "search for author:" JerryF
You "sort by post time" (X) ascending.
You leave the rest on its default values.
Then you click on [Search].

Your oldest post will be on top of the list.
Should be this post: See / folder on tablet connected by USB [SOLVED]

In my case this returns this post, not that anybody would care any longer or find the post interesting. :wink:
Thanks karlchen!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Seems such a long time ago, but only 2 1/2 years. Back then I had windows laptops/desktops and I could not get them to see the mint laptop. Now everything I've got has mint as it's primary OS. Now that's what I call progress!

As is still true today on anything samba related, @altair4 came to the rescue, it was very simple, the netbios name was longer than 15 characters.

Thank you @altair4 from me and everyone else who has needed your samba expertise :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Asusucks

Post by Asusucks »

Ah, my first post as a newbie. I remember it like it was today.

I asked for advice on how to fix a problem with adud 200ha notebook. No sound trough hdmi connect to TV ( sound only coming from laptop ) and also cant transfer files from smartphone to laptop. Dont see smartphone folders.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Moem wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:06 pm
JerryF wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 pm I don't know how to find all my posts sorted by date.
Here you go.

that went wrong somewhere, no mention of sorting by date
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:40 pm that went wrong somewhere, no mention of sorting by date
True, I gave him the fish, not the fishing rod. :) But Karlchen came along with the fishing rod, so it all worked out.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

First post here:
BG405 wrote:Re: Install Mint with 32bit UEFI
I've been researching this for the past week or so (am new to Linux) having been trying to repair a Linx 7 tablet and have found that a GPT-formatted USB with a 64-bit Mint 17.3 distro will boot (via GRUB) on UEFI once you've copied "bootia32.efi" to the EFI/Boot directory. 32-bit will boot if you c...

Jump to post
Intro over a month later :oops::
BG405 wrote:[Hello from another Linux convert!
A month or so ago, whilst battling with a Linx tablet on which I'd deleted the recovery partition and looking to make a custom recovery medium for it I decided to try downloading Linux Mint, putting it on a USB stick and see if I could get it to boot from that. Once I did there was no turning back, ...

Jump to post
Those "jump to post" links i provided are turd-coloured to discourage wasted clicks :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Open Chat”