What am i doing wrong with my router?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
srq2625

Re: What am i doing wrong with my router?

Post by srq2625 »

This may be so completely obvious that you've failed to mention it, but have you updated the firmware? I just bought a new Netgear R6700v3 and, while poking around in the admin console, noted that there was a firmware update available. So ..... ????

BTW - I'm signed up for 50mbps down/5mbps up and I'm getting better then 100/9 with a very old (and soon to be upgraded) Surfboard SB6121 modem.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

YEP...the firmware update is the very first thing it wanted to do before it would even let me get to the settings...lol...DAMIEN
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:09 am YEP...the firmware update is the very first thing it wanted to do before it would even let me get to the settings...lol...DAMIEN
That's kinda strange. Over the years, I've installed three or four routers (one replacing the previous) and I've never had the configuration halted by a request/requirement to update the firmware. Maybe that's because I've always done the configuration before connecting it to my modem.

BTW - the Netgear Genie configuration tool is not cloud based .... at least I don't think so. I think its served up by the firmware on the router. It is, however, "web-based" in that it's all done through a browser interface. I think this because I never connect a new router to my network before I have configured it....
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i tried to set it up first but no dice...the new netgears insist on an internet connection to do its thing, first the firmware update, then the settings which is why i put a powerful very long password on it...lol...DAMIEN
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:12 am i tried to set it up first but no dice...the new netgears insist on an internet connection to do its thing, first the firmware update, then the settings which is why i put a powerful very long password on it...lol...DAMIEN
Very, very strange.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

what is the actual isp speed test
also iwconfig in Terminal
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

in my first post opening this subject, i did say the speed is 100Mbps, direct ethernet line to modem...and since im trying to use direct ethernet line to my main computer using new router iwconfig is not going to show my wired speed...that is for wireless which im not concerned with...my only concern is direct ethernet wired speed...first post has all this info...im eventually going to just wire my other rooms as well with ethernet...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

ok...ive done everything possible to my knowledge...what am i not doing right...it works flawlessly except providing ethernet wired speed...what am i doing wrong?...DAMIEN
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:17 pm my only concern is direct ethernet wired speed...first post has all this info...
I beg to differ. The first post went on and on about wifi. It led me to give the response that you got snarky about, so other posters have also been misled. Your first post says absolutely nothing about not being interested in wifi, and it gives the exact opposite impression, so please don't put the onus on others for your own doings.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i give up then...i dont care about wifi except about on one laptop and one roku box...please catweazel tell me where i went "on and on"about wifi...show me a quote where this is what im doing...im doing hardwired desktop at all times first...couldnt give a rats ass about wifi, if hard wired doesnt work first...i put no onus upon others...im in the process of hard wiring everything...please tell me where i went "on and on" about wifi...i went on and on about short wired hard wired ethernet connection to my desktop...i now give up...DAMIEN

ps...show me a quote on my first post where i went "on and on" about wifi and not about direct connect...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i should note that catweazel is one of my favorite people here...i read and re-read my original post 3 times...i do not get his response to me saying that im going "on and on" about wifi...ive been talking about short wired ethernet from router to desktop...am i not seeing something correctly as to my statements???...am i wording things incorrectly without seeing things correctly and wording things wrongly???...am i in the wrong here???...also i was not being "snarky" to anyone here...that is not what im about...sorry if anyone took anything i said to be "snarky"...im just going to give it up...sorry that the keyboard type word doesnt translate properly into the "queens english"...but then im just an "upstart colonial American"...DAMIEN

ps...catweazel...i have never once treated you ever with such disrespect or the disdain you just voiced to me...i can take that from a newcomer without a problem...and even from a "troll"...but from such a good person and knowledgeable person as you are and as well respected here as you are, i know i pale into insignificance...THIS is one of the many reasons that newcomers go back to winbloes or mac...im far from being a thin skinned newbie but i am a thick skinned regular dyed in the wool linux purist...ive tried to do my best to be of help for others over the past 2 years...i rarely ask a question or for help for anything for myself that i couldnt figure this router problem out on my own...this one i could not find an answer to...to get the response i just got, it just got to me right in the gut...and especially from one of our members that i still hold in the highest esteem...it is to me, no wonder why newcomers get disgusted and disheartened when asking for any help and then leave not only the forums but linux as well...i now regretfully resign from the forums here and now, but im not leaving linux...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”