What am i doing wrong with my router?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

What am i doing wrong with my router?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OK...ISP increased speed from 60 Mbps to 100 Mbps for free since this is now their minimum service and couldnt believe that with my bundled phone along with it they actually reduced my payment from 54.93 USD a month to 37.95 USD per month without even asking them, (they said it was because of almost 8 yrs and always paying on time with no billing issues etc),(i have no complaint with these guys after having comcast, cox and metrocast as providers back new england when i used to live there...these guys are the best)...if i plug directly into modem, i get the 100 speed...when i plugged back into my 7-8 yr old belkin n150 router, it knocked me down to 67 Mbps...so ok, i decided to buy a new router, since i figured that the belkin was old and outmoded now,(netgear AC750 model R6020) that now is dual band 2.4 and 5.0 ghz rather than the single band 2.4 ghz that was the belkin...new router tells me that i can achieve minimum 300 Mbps, maximum 433 Mbps...i cannot achieve better than 75 Mbps while using the router...i have zero intention of not using a router since i do need wifi capabilities for my other laptop computers as well as 2 roku boxes...it should be noted that these speed tests were done with main desktop, ethernet wired to the router was used in the testing...i have a complicated password to enter the router to begin with since the router does require netgears cloud based "genie" to access and adjust router settings,

It would take a computer about

50 NONILLION YEARS

to crack your password

Why not create even stronger passwords with Dashlane? It's free!

i did laugh when it said my password could be stronger by using dashlane...50 nonillion years to crack???...i think im ok for now...the firewall is enabled in router, upnp is of course disabled and for my wireless i have only the 5 ghz band enabled, the 2.4 ghz is disabled as there are too many around me in the neighborhood using it...any suggestions on what im doing wrong and have not thought about...thanks in advance...DAMIEN

ps...i know i shouldnt complain because i know that many users here do not have near the speed or reliability that my ISP provides, i would just like to be able to use full or near full speed they provide while using my new router...my ISP is called TDS.com.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What am i doing wrong with my router?

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:28 pm any suggestions on what im doing wrong and have not thought about.
Short run wired connections are near lossless. Wifi isn't. The router will drop speed if signal is weak.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

all test were done on short hard wired...well aware of wireless loss...also i have everything wired as cat6...DAMIEN
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Have you tried using ethernet wired with the wi-fi switched off in the router setup?
Just to confirm there is no other access.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

that would be correct...even going so far as unplugging any power sources from them as they were all off to begin with...DAMIEN
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

On my router control centre I have a Traffic Control section where I am able to set the guaranteed minimum and maximum band width in KB/s for each of the devices that's connected either by wired or Wi-Fi connection. Wondering if you're able to do this with your router.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi stephanie...yes, on wired im set at "up to 300 Mbps" and on wireless im set at "up to 433 Mbps"...thanks for asking though...DAMIEN
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Have you tried the new router with factory default settings?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i always start with factory default and adjust from there...such as disabling upnp which was enabled by default...shutting down 2.4 ghz wireless also enabled by default and opting for 5 ghz wireless instead, ( too much 2.4 traffic in my area with lots of overlap), also default password was password...obviously not using that as a default password and set a very strong password in place of the one they provide as default...DAMIEN
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:29 pm i always start with factory default and adjust from there...such as disabling upnp which was enabled by default...shutting down 2.4 ghz wireless also enabled by default and opting for 5 ghz wireless instead, ( too much 2.4 traffic in my area with lots of overlap), also default password was password...obviously not using that as a default password and set a very strong password in place of the one they provide as default...DAMIEN
And with it default it wasn't running at wanted speed?
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

If it wasn't running at 100Mbs with the default settings in the router I would next check the cat6 cables. You know the one that ran from the test PC to the modem ran at full speed but then you added one from the modem to the router, perhaps swap it out with a different one. If it isn't cables or your settings changes then you are loaded for bear to return it as defective or not performing as advertised.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

it did not attain speed...in default or otherwise...has remained the same...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

already swapped out 5 different full sets of cables...all brand new...both cat5 and cat6...DAMIEN
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:40 pm already swapped out 5 different full sets of cables...all brand new...both cat5 and cat6...DAMIEN
The router doesn't happen to have QoS enabled, does it?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

just went through all the settings in the router again and do not find any QoS enable or disable settings whatsoever...my belkin had this and i always had it disabled in that old router but this new one doesnt seem to have this at all...2 settings that is does have though that i do not understand. i left alone in their default setting...the first one is SIP ALG, enable or disable, it is enabled as default...the 2nd one is is IGMP proxing, enable or disable, the default is at disabled...to the best of my knowledge, SIP ALG just may be another way of saying QoS as i found this explanation for it...(Some voice/video communication applications do not work well with the SIP ALG. turn off or disabling the SIP ALG may help your voice/video applications etc. to create/accept a call through the router.having it enabled has been known to corrupt SIP packets),...i have just turned this to disable and am now rebooting both modem and router to see if this will now make any difference...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OK...so far there is no appreciable changes in short wired speed with ethernet plugged into router...i think ive got all the bases covered but maybe there is still something i could be missing here...DAMIEN
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:22 am SIP ALG, enable or disable, it is enabled as default...the 2nd one is is IGMP proxing, enable or disable, the default is at disabled..
SIP ALG should be disabled. It's a broken VoIP protocol. IGMP proxying is internet multicast.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

ok...sip alg is now disabled...should IGMP proxying be disabled or enabled...it is disabled at the moment...DAMIEN
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:02 am ok...sip alg is now disabled...should IGMP proxying be disabled or enabled...it is disabled at the moment...DAMIEN
I'd leave it. If you don't know what multicasting is then you don't need it :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i do not send any multicasting whatsoever to multiple receivers...lol...thats why i left that disabled...just wanted to know if you knew of something i didnt know about it and if there was any other reason to justify it being enabled...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”