New Smartphone

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
webwrx

New Smartphone

Post by webwrx »

Hi all.. just after advice. I have been using iPhone 6s for 3 years ... been a good phone. Most of that time I using Win 10, now using Mint 19 and it's time to upgrade phone. Find the 6s screen too small for my ageing eyes and it has been a bit of hassle getting it to talk to Mint... and just generally sick of Apple and their tactics.
I really just want to sync photos, music and transfer files between phone and Mint PC. I believe an Android phone would be a better option for a Linux fan, right? Any recommendations/advice?
I'm really tempted by the Pixel 3 but I'm also having a love-hate affair with Google right now because I don't agree with some of their practices... although I still use gmail as my primary mail service... but avoid all other facets of Google where possible. But the Pixel does look pretty tempting.
Samsung prob the other major contender but had a Samsung LCD television a few years ago that stopped working after 2 years and vowed never to buy from them again.
I tend to view everything in the world as either good or bad (black and white thinking) when reality is everything has aspects of both and I have a lot of trouble reconciling this and really struggle with decision making... :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: New Smartphone

Post by catweazel »

webwrx wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 am :roll:
All you're going to get in reply is mere opinion. When I need to replace a phone I use go-ogle and look for reviews. That said, almost any Android phone these days plays well with linux.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

well,
you did ask....

I use Android because of a hate Apple issue

and I use ASUS File Manager to instantly transfer files/Images/ whatever to my Linux, or Win7 desktops.

all you need do is create a Shared Folder on the receiving PCs.
and let it give full permissions to other users.

the PC that is sharing, must use a Password, so if your Windows PC does not have a password, ASUS File Manager will refuse to work with it.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q= ... %20manager

This requires that all PCs be logged into the same WiFi signal, as it is a LOCAL transfer only.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Yep - just my opinion.... :)

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus. Using LM 19 (MATE), I just plug the USB cable into the phone and my computer. LM detects the phone, opens caja. Then I access the connections menu on the phone and change it to file transfer and another couple of caja windows open. In caja, I select the phone in the left panel and from there I can access either the internal memory card or I can select the external memory card. File (music, photos, other files) transfer between the phone and the computer is, from that point, a "no-brainer" - it just works.

In the past, I've had other Android phone that didn't work as nicely. My wife has a Samsung Note 8 that is a bit hit-or-miss but I can usually get it talking with the computer. It seems to be something of a "crap shoot" as to whether a given phone will work or not.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

It was a happy day when I replaced my 5c with a Moto z2 Play. My needs are simple, and this mid-range phone gives me the features I needed at an attractive price. I find the call quality and battery life is good, the camera is decent, the apps I use run smoothly, and it has a slot for a microSD card. Oh, and it plays nice with Linux.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have been using a iPhone SE since it came out. At 77 it is ok for me.
I also have an sixth generation iPad for reading books since I can adjust the font size and keep many books on hand.
I keep a PC with W10 just for these two.

L
webwrx

Post by webwrx »

Thanks heaps for all the responses. It's given me a bit to think about (and weirdly re-assuring) to see other people have similar company biases... and oddly inconstant behaviors when you plug devices in. I guess at the end of the day this isn't life or death, and there are always work-arounds, so I shouldn't panic if I don't pick the perfect phone (even if such a beast exists).
Asusucks

Post by Asusucks »

best to use some site where you can search for phones by different criteria.

I personally am looking for a phone with a big screen. has to be IPS LCD screen ( much easier on the eys compared to oled/amoled ).

Also MHL option would be great ( abbility to connect it to TV via HDMI cabl and use it as a mini pc if you want.

Also looking forward to Librem 5 linux phone.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have bought a couple of phones from www.swappa.com

they sort out the phones by brand and type
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

There is big problem with Android smartfones. Problem is not with Android itself but with manifatcturers of devices. They virtually never updates their devices. Once you got something with Android X.XX rather you will die than receive an update to Android X.X+1.
To be honest, some manufacturers are an exception.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

BigEasy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:10 pm There is big problem with Android smartfones. Problem is not with Android itself but with manifatcturers of devices. They virtually never updates their devices. Once you got something with Android X.XX rather you will die than receive an update to Android X.X+1.
I have only owned Samsung.
they have updated the Galaxy S5 to 6.x from 4.x when it was released.

My Note 4 has 4.4.4. rooted, if left alone, it would now be 6.x

Samsung seems to release at least one upgrade, sometimes two.

Hard to justify buying a new phone simply to acquire the latest version of Android.
My Note 4 on 4.4.4 still does everything that it needs to....
in fact, the reason it is rooted, is to stop the upgrades.
with Android 5.x and up, macro applications can no longer turn Data on/off. only WiFi
and for me, that is a NO NO, as I want the Internet turned OFF when the screen is locked.

that extends battery life immensely. my phone only looses ~4 percent battery overnight w/Internet OFF.

leave it ON, and the battery looses ~30 percent or more just idling with all the crap going on in the background.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

I always manually turn data on/off and something else depending of situation. Yes, manually. For example, before going to bed I turn airplane mode leaving just clock alarm at morning 06:30. My ASUS phone working 8-9 days without charge. Who need 24/7 full functionality?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

In general, I try to stick to stock Android/AOSP as much as possible so that's been Google or Motorola.

As much as I love their SSDs and other storage products, I avoid Samsung smartphones and TouchWiz like the plague.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I have a Galaxy S6 but I do not like it very much. Im also kinda looking around for another phone. I want the memory card slot and serviceability when I crack the screen or whatever. The S6 is a royal pain as its glass front and back. Its not very serviceable although I have never had it apart yet. There is no memory slot either. But, It does work good with linux. I find Galaxy's pretty much always work with linux.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

BigEasy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm I always manually turn data on/off and something else depending of situation. Yes, manually. For example, before going to bed I turn airplane mode leaving just clock alarm at morning 06:30. My ASUS phone working 8-9 days without charge.

Who need 24/7 full functionality?
that is Precisely my point of view.
I am not going to allow some nitwit self enthused Android developer make my smartphone Call home to momma every 15 seconds just so he can see what I am doing??

no way, Jose... that is precisely why I use MacroDroid to turn off data/WiFi when the screen locks.
I have found that trying to remember to do it manually is a lost cause for me... I do good to remember what I ate 15 minutes ago.

My Note 4 does not have the extended battery life of the new phones, but by using the macro to turn off the Internet, I have been able to multiply the lifespan by several orders of magnitudes....
I have disabled MacroDroid, and the phone goes from 100% to 30% in about 7 or 8 hours of me using it on and off while my daughter is shopping.

with MacroDroid enabled, I get 24 hours use with one charge with the same usage.
I can deal with that....
rui no onna

Post by rui no onna »

BigEasy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm I always manually turn data on/off and something else depending of situation. Who need 24/7 full functionality?
Lol, I frequently misplace my phone so I need internet always on. :P The reason I even got into smartphones in the first place was because I couldn't find my flip phone. It was on silent and eventually ran out of charge without being found. Incidentally, found the old phone two months later inside my purse (which was the first place I looked!). :oops:
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

rui no onna wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:14 pm
BigEasy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm I always manually turn data on/off and something else depending of situation. Who need 24/7 full functionality?
Lol, I frequently misplace my phone so I need internet always on. :P The reason I even got into smartphones in the first place was because I couldn't find my flip phone. It was on silent and eventually ran out of charge without being found. Incidentally, found the old phone two months later inside my purse (which was the first place I looked!). :oops:
easy answer to that, it to use Google Manager to cause the phone to start ringing non-stop until you find it.
but, if the battery is dead..... uh, too bad :lol:
I'm so hooked on having my phone with me at all times, that is never a problem....
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

BigEasy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:10 pm There is big problem with Android smartfones. Problem is not with Android itself but with manifatcturers of devices. They virtually never updates their devices. Once you got something with Android X.XX rather you will die than receive an update to Android X.X+1.
Buy a phone that has Android ONE.
Then you have (almost) stock Android, 2 years OS updates and 3? years security updates
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

webwrx wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 amHi all.. just after advice.
I think the best approach I can take here in giving you advice is to try and give you some data points to go on, because I'd rather you be informed.

Generally, modern Android OS-based smartphones will let you access their storage (both onboard and microSD card if supported) fairly trivially. Software like SMS Backup and Restore lets you back up your SMS and MMS data, giving you several different cloud storage options (including Google Drive) as well as just saving it to the phone itself where you can then copy the files to your computer.

There are a number of different phone models out there with a lot of potentially useful features. The problem I have, however, is twofold: Other phone makers don't tend to support their phones for a long period of time, which means any official updates, which naturally have to filter through them, stop after a certain point even if Google is still putting out updates which could nominally be sent to you. The other issue I have is sometimes they don't use standard means of accessing your phone for other purposes (flashing).

My view is that if it's my hardware, I shouldn't be dictated to.

Google has the best track record on their own devices. I have an older Nexus 6, which originally shipped with some release of Android 5. Ultimately, I could get official updates through Android 7.1.1. It's not really what I wish were the case, but it's kilometers ahead of anyone else's product, in my experience.

Using adb and fastboot, I have flashed my phone to LineageOS's AOSP port of Android 8.1. Right now, those folks are working on porting Android 9. The mere fact that I can do that is pretty welcome news.

Since I'm also a GMail user, I don't have to worry about my contacts, which is nice. Also, since I drive for a living, I love having full calendar and navigation integration.

Another potential option out there, and one which I've talked about before on this forum, is Purism's Librem 5, which is a highly security conscious-minded smartphone which will basically be running a port of Debian with a specialized form of Gnome 3.3 (or thereabouts) and I have to say, it's very tempting. The biggest question, of course, is how viable it will be given my needs. But, the hardware itself looks good, and I love the idea of a phone put forth with the express intent to safeguard the user's privacy in literally every way imaginable, from open firmware on the chips, to open drivers, to running GNU+Linux, to having physical kill switches.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

BigEasy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm I always manually turn data on/off and something else depending of situation. Yes, manually. For example, before going to bed I turn airplane mode leaving just clock alarm at morning 06:30. My ASUS phone working 8-9 days without charge. Who need 24/7 full functionality?
Uhhhh... I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Should I just kind of laugh instead? Why would you want to own a smartphone in the first place?
AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:21 pmI am not going to allow some nitwit self enthused Android developer make my smartphone Call home to momma every 15 seconds just so he can see what I am doing??
Lol... Paranoid much? :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”