Google to charge Europe

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
michael louwe

Google to charge Europe

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-to ... in-europe/ - Google to charge phone vendors for its Android apps in Europe

Because the EU misguidedly/foolishly cracked down on Google's Android Anti-Forking Agreement with the phone vendors, Europeans will now need to pay more for their Google-based Android smartphones/tablets. The Europeans got what they deserved while those outside of Europe continue to enjoy cheaper Android smartphones/tablets, especially those in USA and Asia.
Last edited by michael louwe on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Google to charge Europe

Post by Moem »

That's good news, it will probably be a boost to the development of Googlefree smartphone platforms. Thanks, EU! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 am That's good news, it will probably be a boost to the development of Googlefree smartphone platforms. Thanks, EU! :D
Agreed, the EU is doing the right thing, except I'm afraid phone vendors probably won't do EU-specific platforms and Google is keeping the rest of the world chained to their own system. I am expecting vendors to offer devices without GApps in the EU though for a cheaper price, maybe pre-install Amazon's store instead.

Personally I haven't had GApps on my smartphone for years. I'm not missing it. But I'm not a teenager constantly needing the latest apps, either. We'll see.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

consumers will pay the fee, and they will be happy that they are being "protected" from something
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

michael louwe wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 amGoogle to charge phone vendors for its Android apps in Europe
Thumbs up those who own Europian smartphones in 2018.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

An Android phone without Google apps would be great! I imagine the app vendors will not be happy without the Google Play store being available for Europe.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

sdibaja wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 amconsumers will pay the fee, and they will be happy that they are being "protected" from something
Apparently they're mostly going to be protected from the insidious pre-installed the Google Search app, and might now be forced to, er, I meant, encouraged to, to type in "google.com" (or google.co.uk, etc) after paying extra for a browser in which to type "google.com".
.../sarcasm...sort of.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Flemur wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am
sdibaja wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 amconsumers will pay the fee, and they will be happy that they are being "protected" from something
Apparently they're mostly going to be protected from the insidious pre-installed the Google Search app, and might now be forced to, er, I meant, encouraged to, to type in "google.com" (or google.co.uk, etc) after paying extra for a browser in which to type "google.com".
.../sarcasm...sort of.
the business model has been working well for a long time $$$.
More Government!!! More Regulation$$$!!!

I have a hard time determining when my sarcasm begins and ends, I will let you know later
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

sdibaja wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:16 pm the business model has been working well for a long time $$$.
More Government!!! More Regulation$$$!!!
Sarcasm isn't a problem, but please stay away from politics as a topic to talk about here. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I find it funny that if you replaced Google with Microsoft in this story I'm sure the reactions of some here would be different. ;)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

The EU-eans who shun Google Android may have to live without this useful Android app, especially those leaving Europe for foreign holidays. ...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/11/179 ... guages-new - Google Translate can now visually translate 13 more languages - The app supports nearly 50 languages now - By Makena Kelly@kellymakena Oct 11, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm9WqcWwkaY - 3 Cool Apps To Translate Foreign Languages Instantly - 5 Jan 2018

Imagine, the EU balking at Google's " 'No Forking of Android' policy in return for free use of Android" business model = the EU shooting herself in the foot.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Moem wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 am That's good news, it will probably be a boost to the development of Googlefree smartphone platforms. Thanks, EU! :D
So about that (and this is a serious question)...
Will there be incentive for companies to develop Google-free platforms? How would they make sure they do it while (a) it still being financially profitable and (b) not run afoul of the EU themselves? Not being European I'm not sure how things work over there. ;) I'd imagine they'd base it off AOSP, but there's still a lot of work to go from that to a good smartphone platform, particularly if Google isn't inclined to be helpful. :mrgreen:

And context note -- I'm not a fan of the EU decision but again, not living there, I can only look from the outside in. It's not like it impacts me anyways. On the other hand, I do benefit from Google in a round-about sort of way: they help python development (a lot!) which helps me. :roll: :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Fred Barclay wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm Will there be incentive for companies to develop Google-free platforms? How would they make sure they do it while (a) it still being financially profitable and (b) not run afoul of the EU themselves?
I honestly don't know how they would do it or whether it's even possible, but it seems clear to me that the incentive is now larger than before. And the market for such phones would not necessarily be restricted to Europe, so it might impact you... by giving you more options.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 am Because the EU misguidedly/foolishly cracked down...
Unsupported assertion. Claim fails. It's good news.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

catweazel wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 am
michael louwe wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 am Because the EU misguidedly/foolishly cracked down...
Unsupported assertion. Claim fails. (...)
Nah, it's an opinion. Not one that I share, but still one that people get to have. They even get to express it here! :wink:

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:19 am They even get to express it here! :wink:
There was absolutely no suggestion to the contrary.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

.../sarcasm...sort of.
Opera is free, as is Firefox.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Moem wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 am
Fred Barclay wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm Will there be incentive for companies to develop Google-free platforms? How would they make sure they do it while (a) it still being financially profitable and (b) not run afoul of the EU themselves?
I honestly don't know how they would do it or whether it's even possible, but it seems clear to me that the incentive is now larger than before. And the market for such phones would not necessarily be restricted to Europe, so it might impact you... by giving you more options.
The reason M$ charged more fow Windows after 1995 was because the US SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) required them to drop a fee they had been charging of all comuter/motherboard manufacturers as a license fee because "almost all computer rung MicroSoft Operating Syatems, and some of them are bootleg".

Now, WHO would run a bootleg copy of DOS?!?!?! 8)

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

PS: I actually got bagged for bootleg software. MicroSoft said, "eh?"

Adobe was the big one. They refused to let go. Eighteen months later...I started using Linux. The same Adobe app I got bagged for was FREE on Linux...

Go figure...

Now you know the real reason I started using Linux...

gm10

Post by gm10 »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:49 am
.../sarcasm...sort of.
Opera is free, as is Firefox.
Exactly, and that's the whole point. The situation is basically a mirror of the Microsoft situation and their forced bundling of their own software. The forced bundling is, of course, to push out the competition, which is why you run afoul of anti-trust laws if you've got a market-dominant position while doing so. That's why the EU decision isn't unexpected.

Return to “Open Chat”