Page 1 of 3

Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 am
by michael louwe
https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-to ... in-europe/ - Google to charge phone vendors for its Android apps in Europe

Because the EU misguidedly/foolishly cracked down on Google's Android Anti-Forking Agreement with the phone vendors, Europeans will now need to pay more for their Google-based Android smartphones/tablets. The Europeans got what they deserved while those outside of Europe continue to enjoy cheaper Android smartphones/tablets, especially those in USA and Asia.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 am
by Moem
That's good news, it will probably be a boost to the development of Googlefree smartphone platforms. Thanks, EU! :D

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:16 am
by gm10
Moem wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 am
That's good news, it will probably be a boost to the development of Googlefree smartphone platforms. Thanks, EU! :D
Agreed, the EU is doing the right thing, except I'm afraid phone vendors probably won't do EU-specific platforms and Google is keeping the rest of the world chained to their own system. I am expecting vendors to offer devices without GApps in the EU though for a cheaper price, maybe pre-install Amazon's store instead.

Personally I haven't had GApps on my smartphone for years. I'm not missing it. But I'm not a teenager constantly needing the latest apps, either. We'll see.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 am
by sdibaja
consumers will pay the fee, and they will be happy that they are being "protected" from something

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am
by BigEasy
michael louwe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 am
Google to charge phone vendors for its Android apps in Europe
Thumbs up those who own Europian smartphones in 2018.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am
by kenetics
An Android phone without Google apps would be great! I imagine the app vendors will not be happy without the Google Play store being available for Europe.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am
by Flemur
sdibaja wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 am
consumers will pay the fee, and they will be happy that they are being "protected" from something
Apparently they're mostly going to be protected from the insidious pre-installed the Google Search app, and might now be forced to, er, I meant, encouraged to, to type in "google.com" (or google.co.uk, etc) after paying extra for a browser in which to type "google.com".
.../sarcasm...sort of.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:16 pm
by sdibaja
Flemur wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am
sdibaja wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 am
consumers will pay the fee, and they will be happy that they are being "protected" from something
Apparently they're mostly going to be protected from the insidious pre-installed the Google Search app, and might now be forced to, er, I meant, encouraged to, to type in "google.com" (or google.co.uk, etc) after paying extra for a browser in which to type "google.com".
.../sarcasm...sort of.
the business model has been working well for a long time $$$.
More Government!!! More Regulation$$$!!!

I have a hard time determining when my sarcasm begins and ends, I will let you know later

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 pm
by Moem
sdibaja wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:16 pm
the business model has been working well for a long time $$$.
More Government!!! More Regulation$$$!!!
Sarcasm isn't a problem, but please stay away from politics as a topic to talk about here. Thanks!

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:34 pm
by gm10
I find it funny that if you replaced Google with Microsoft in this story I'm sure the reactions of some here would be different. ;)

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm
by michael louwe
The EU-eans who shun Google Android may have to live without this useful Android app, especially those leaving Europe for foreign holidays. ...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/11/179 ... guages-new - Google Translate can now visually translate 13 more languages - The app supports nearly 50 languages now - By Makena Kelly@kellymakena Oct 11, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm9WqcWwkaY - 3 Cool Apps To Translate Foreign Languages Instantly - 5 Jan 2018

Imagine, the EU balking at Google's " 'No Forking of Android' policy in return for free use of Android" business model = the EU shooting herself in the foot.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm
by Fred Barclay
Moem wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 am
That's good news, it will probably be a boost to the development of Googlefree smartphone platforms. Thanks, EU! :D
So about that (and this is a serious question)...
Will there be incentive for companies to develop Google-free platforms? How would they make sure they do it while (a) it still being financially profitable and (b) not run afoul of the EU themselves? Not being European I'm not sure how things work over there. ;) I'd imagine they'd base it off AOSP, but there's still a lot of work to go from that to a good smartphone platform, particularly if Google isn't inclined to be helpful. :mrgreen:

And context note -- I'm not a fan of the EU decision but again, not living there, I can only look from the outside in. It's not like it impacts me anyways. On the other hand, I do benefit from Google in a round-about sort of way: they help python development (a lot!) which helps me. :roll: :lol:

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 am
by Moem
Fred Barclay wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm
Will there be incentive for companies to develop Google-free platforms? How would they make sure they do it while (a) it still being financially profitable and (b) not run afoul of the EU themselves?
I honestly don't know how they would do it or whether it's even possible, but it seems clear to me that the incentive is now larger than before. And the market for such phones would not necessarily be restricted to Europe, so it might impact you... by giving you more options.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 am
by catweazel
michael louwe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 am
Because the EU misguidedly/foolishly cracked down...
Unsupported assertion. Claim fails. It's good news.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:19 am
by Moem
catweazel wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 am
michael louwe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 am
Because the EU misguidedly/foolishly cracked down...
Unsupported assertion. Claim fails. (...)
Nah, it's an opinion. Not one that I share, but still one that people get to have. They even get to express it here! :wink:

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:33 am
by catweazel
Moem wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:19 am
They even get to express it here! :wink:
There was absolutely no suggestion to the contrary.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:49 am
by Arch_Enemy
Flemur wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am
sdibaja wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 am
consumers will pay the fee, and they will be happy that they are being "protected" from something
Apparently they're mostly going to be protected from the insidious pre-installed the Google Search app, and might now be forced to, er, I meant, encouraged to, to type in "google.com" (or google.co.uk, etc) after paying extra for a browser in which to type "google.com".
.../sarcasm...sort of.
Opera is free, as is Firefox.

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:52 am
by Arch_Enemy
Moem wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 am
Fred Barclay wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 pm
Will there be incentive for companies to develop Google-free platforms? How would they make sure they do it while (a) it still being financially profitable and (b) not run afoul of the EU themselves?
I honestly don't know how they would do it or whether it's even possible, but it seems clear to me that the incentive is now larger than before. And the market for such phones would not necessarily be restricted to Europe, so it might impact you... by giving you more options.
The reason M$ charged more fow Windows after 1995 was because the US SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) required them to drop a fee they had been charging of all comuter/motherboard manufacturers as a license fee because "almost all computer rung MicroSoft Operating Syatems, and some of them are bootleg".

Now, WHO would run a bootleg copy of DOS?!?!?! 8)

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:54 am
by Arch_Enemy
PS: I actually got bagged for bootleg software. MicroSoft said, "eh?"

Adobe was the big one. They refused to let go. Eighteen months later...I started using Linux. The same Adobe app I got bagged for was FREE on Linux...

Go figure...

Now you know the real reason I started using Linux...

Re: Google to charge Europe

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:01 am
by gm10
Arch_Enemy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:49 am
Flemur wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am
sdibaja wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:41 am
consumers will pay the fee, and they will be happy that they are being "protected" from something
Apparently they're mostly going to be protected from the insidious pre-installed the Google Search app, and might now be forced to, er, I meant, encouraged to, to type in "google.com" (or google.co.uk, etc) after paying extra for a browser in which to type "google.com".
.../sarcasm...sort of.
Opera is free, as is Firefox.
Exactly, and that's the whole point. The situation is basically a mirror of the Microsoft situation and their forced bundling of their own software. The forced bundling is, of course, to push out the competition, which is why you run afoul of anti-trust laws if you've got a market-dominant position while doing so. That's why the EU decision isn't unexpected.