Meet Helm, the startup taking on Gmail with a server that runs in your home

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Meet Helm, the startup taking on Gmail with a server that runs in your home

Post by JoeFootball »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Meet Helm, the startup taking on Gmail with a server that runs in your home

Post by xenopeek »

The startup is betting that people will be willing to pay $500 to purchase the box and use it for one year to host some of their most precious assets in their own home. The service will cost $100 per year after that.
Holy moly, that's a lot. That $ 100 buys you a personal gateway hosted on Amazon cloud—which provides your Helm device with a static IP address, cloud storage to (optionally) backup your email online, and through which all your email is tunneled (securely if sender's mailserver uses TLS)—and yearly renewal of your custom domain name (value that at $ 8.50) They also renew your Let's Encrypt SSL certificate but that's completely free so shouldn't be included in what you get for that $ 100 anyway.
The company plans to announce a bug bounty program by year's end. In the meantime, whitehats can contact Helm […]
I read that as it isn't ready yet for worry-free use.

It's an interesting concept but a lot is riding on people willing to pay 4 times as much yearly as for a no-ads email provider, or 8 times as much for rolling your own solution with a Raspberry Pi.

The people behind Helm are answering question on Hacker News: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18238581
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

xenopeek wrote:It's an interesting concept but a lot is riding on people willing to pay 4 times as much yearly as for a no-ads email provider, or 8 times as much for rolling your own solution with No-IP and a Raspberry Pi.
Yes, I agree that you can't overlook that price tag, and for people who have the skills to put together something functionally similar, then this does become less attractive.

But it is conceptually interesting, as it provides for an option for a self-managed in-home email server for those without the know-how (and don't want to bother learning how). For a price, indeed.

Joe
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm hard pressed to name people that would care about this and not have the technical know-how to follow one of the many tutorials for doing the same with a Raspberry Pi.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

xenopeek wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 am I'm hard pressed to name people that would care about this and not have the technical know-how to follow one of the many tutorials for doing the same with a Raspberry Pi.
Resale market maybe. Someone without technical knowledge asks their tech guy and gets recommended this thing. Otherwise I also don't see it happening.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

xenopeek wrote:I'm hard pressed to name people that would care about this and not have the technical know-how to follow one of the many tutorials for doing the same with a Raspberry Pi.
To your point, my credit card has not left my wallet. :) And thanks for that Hacker News discussion.

I agree with how that article's author concluded; it's a "noble experiment".

Joe

Return to “Open Chat”