Well I give up

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Well I give up

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 am
Telyx wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:02 pm
catweazel wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:10 am

It's even simpler if you treat the mass of the Sun as a single particle.
I don't know why, but that reminds me of this one... "you know you're a mathematician if you assume a horse is a sphere to make the calculations easier."
Whoever thought that one up didn't think it through, though I suppose it was invented as a funny remark. It's easier to assume that the horse is an oblong block, and in reality, this is what calculus does; you can take an odd shape, morph it into one or more regular shapes and produce an estimate of its volume.
So, how many miles have I really travelled? Including the 1.7M miles in cars? (PS: those were just MY cars, not counting <16 years old and others I have ridden in. If you want to get technical...)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 am So, how many miles have I really travelled? Including the 1.7M miles in cars? (PS: those were just MY cars, not counting <16 years old and others I have ridden in. If you want to get technical...)
I rather think that's your problem. I was merely pointing out that the number in your .sig isn't accurate :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:28 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:16 am So, how many miles have I really travelled? Including the 1.7M miles in cars? (PS: those were just MY cars, not counting <16 years old and others I have ridden in. If you want to get technical...)
I rather think that's your problem. I was merely pointing out that the number in your .sig isn't accurate :mrgreen:
Maths is not a strong point. Also, you're now talking more than 2 dimensions, I get lost after 1...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm Maths is not a strong point.
Don't worry. It's all relative anyway. :wink:
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

MrEen wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm
you must first have an absolute before you can have a relative. time can be relative, but it's origin is absolute.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

trytip wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 pm
MrEen wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm
you must first have an absolute before you can have a relative. time can be relative, but it's origin is absolute.
And when was that? :wink:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well, my father was absolutely my relative ... and part of my origin.

Ok yeah, that was bad. Well, I give up!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm Maths is not a strong point. Also, you're now talking more than 2 dimensions, I get lost after 1...
Crikey! You exist in 3!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 pm you must first have an absolute before you can have a relative.
Ha! Now you're talking my language. There is only one absolute in the entire universe. What is it, and why is it so?
trytip wrote:time can be relative, but it's origin is absolute.
Indeed it is true that the origin is absolute, but I'm putting all my money on you being wrong about its origin and that origin's absoluteness. So, what is the absolute origin that you refer to?

This will be fun for both of us :)

PS: It is not true that time can be relative; it is relative.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

absolutes or relatives are relative. they are both non-facts and theories. linux is also relative but comes from an absolute origin. the origin is the kernel
lsemmens wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:38 pm And when was that? :wink:
that was then, this is now.
MrEen wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 pm Well, my father was absolutely my relative ... and part of my origin.
Ok yeah, that was bad. Well, I give up!
that was not bad at all. golf clap 👏
catweazel wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 pm There is only one absolute in the entire universe. What is it, and why is it so?
the one absolute in the universe is it's infinite nullness .

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:52 am
catweazel wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:50 pm There is only one absolute in the entire universe. What is it, and why is it so?
the one absolute in the universe is it's infinite nullness .
I get huge jollies when I see people inadvertently insult themselves.

The one and only absolute in the entire universe is mind. This isn't some airy-fairy woo woo. It is provable, as a fact that can be established unequivocally and beyond all doubt.

Anyone care to play? Give up?

PS: Your quote is committing a logical fallacy of bifurcation, and is therefore false.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

where was "mind" before Earth existed? are you talking about the human mind? false is also relative. my quote is not my quote, it's from science fiction novel.
philotux

Post by philotux »

catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 am The one and only absolute in the entire universe is mind.
What about the matter?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

philotux wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:12 am What about the matter?
What about it? Matter is in a projected reality to which you have no direct access. When you 'touch' something, two things are occurring. One, you aren't actually touching anything at all because like charges repel so there is no such thing as physical contact with matter. Second, what you are feeling is an electromagnetic force, energy, not matter.
Last edited by catweazel on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
philotux

Post by philotux »

catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:15 am
What about it?
Is matter an absolute in the universe?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

philotux wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:17 am
catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:15 am
What about it?
Absolutely not. It cannot even be described as solid, since an atom is 99.999999999999% empty space. The rest is energy. That's 99.9999999999999 to 13 decimal places empty.
philotux

Post by philotux »

catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 am
philotux wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:17 am
catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:15 am What about it?
Absolutely not. It cannot even be described as solid, since an atom is 99.999999999999% empty space. The rest is energy. That's 99.9999999999999 to 13 decimal places empty.
Can we then regard the empty space as an absolute? Or the energy for that matter.
catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 am The one and only absolute in the entire universe is mind. This isn't some airy-fairy woo woo. It is provable, as a fact that can be established unequivocally and beyond all doubt.
By the way, for the sake of satisfying my curiosity, I would appreciate any pointers to this proof.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

philotux wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:30 am Can we then regard the empty space as an absolute? Or the energy for that matter.
No, because like I said, "out there" is a projected reality that you have no direct access to. The problem for many people is that they assume there is somewhere "out there", when the truth is there is absolutely no evidence that "out there" exists in and of itself, separate and apart from the mind and having its own tangible existence. You see, you observe what's "out there" through your senses. Depth and dimension is added by the brain, which then projects outward whatever comes to it from the data coming into its senses. It follows then that if you remove the senses, all six of them, not five, then the only thing that you can be absolutely 100% certain of is that you exist. This is how it it so that the mind is the only absolute. Everything else is just window dressing that has no independent existence.
philotux wrote:
catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 am The one and only absolute in the entire universe is mind. This isn't some airy-fairy woo woo. It is provable, as a fact that can be established unequivocally and beyond all doubt.
philotux wrote:By the way, for the sake of satisfying my curiosity, I would appreciate any pointers to this proof.
It can be demonstrated with a simple thought experiment. However I must warn you that if you 'get it', the experience will be absolutely mind-bending. You won't ever look at the world in the same way ever again and will need to construct a new world view, your old one lying shattered on the ground that doesn't actually exist anyway.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 am It can be demonstrated with a simple thought experiment.
Try this experiment: stop breathing, if that oxygen out there doesn't really exist your mind will be just fine without it.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

stormryder wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:11 am
catweazel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:49 am It can be demonstrated with a simple thought experiment.
Try this experiment: stop breathing, if that oxygen out there doesn't really exist your mind will be just fine without it.
Or kick a brick wall with your bare foot. Excellent way to instantly grasp the difference between reality and delusion. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Open Chat”