This newbie has overcome his fear of the terminal

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: This newbie has overcome his fear of the terminal

Post by Portreve »

aes2011 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:31 amWhat has reading newspapers got to do with a newcomer to the command-line?
Wellyoutellme.Isthiseasiertoreadwithoutspacesinit,ordoyouprefermeputtinginspacessoyoucanreadthiswithoutstrugglingtoseethewords?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Portreve wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:56 am
aes2011 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:31 amWhat has reading newspapers got to do with a newcomer to the command-line?
Wellyoutellme.Isthiseasiertoreadwithoutspacesinit,ordoyouprefermeputtinginspacessoyoucanreadthiswithoutstrugglingtoseethewords?
That was actually surprisingly easy to read. Let's do away with spaces, make newspapers smaller, save the trees! :lol:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

gm10 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:06 amThat was actually surprisingly easy to read. Let's do away with spaces, make newspapers smaller, save the trees! :lol:
:lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The reply is a little besides the point though, there where e.g. underscores rather than nothing would be_suggested_as_replacement_for_spaces. For my e.g. music collection I definitely use spaces (and, in fact, really any one of the characters I myself suggested were good to avoid above) but being a command line user, avoiding spaces in oft used stuff does make life easier. And certainly for newbie command line users who struggle with syntax anyway.

Return to “Open Chat”