Puzzles , logic and lateral thinking .

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Faust

Puzzles , logic and lateral thinking .

Post by Faust »

I'm convinced that there is some sort of connection between the ability to solve these things quickly
and being able to write neat , efficient and compact code ...... [ discuss and debate - :) ]

I can't code like that ...... I write mess , and if it looks like it's going to work , I tart it up and slim it down a bit .
But looking at the work of some other folk , I can see that the true wizards can be devilishly good at it .... :twisted:

Anyway , I've already wandered off my own topic !
here's the first puzzle that came to mind :-

How many letters would this question contain if the answer wasn't already seventy three ?

Has anybody got any fiendishly difficult ones that they'd like to contribute ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Puzzles , logic and lateral thinking .

Post by HaveaMint »

"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You are wrong, the answer is 42. Always has been, and always will be.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:19 am You are wrong, the answer is 42. Always has been, and always will be.
I most definitely agree, 42 is the correct answer, but I am not certain that is the correct question.

Thanks for all the fish.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Faust wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 am Has anybody got any fiendishly difficult ones that they'd like to contribute ?
I do not consider it fiendishly difficult, but I have seen it take some people far too long to answer this question.
Which word is spelled incorrectly in the dictionary?

I get depressed thinking about the number of times I have had to explain the answer to this one.
Mike is an assistant at a butcher's shop. He is 5-feet, 11-inches tall and wears size 10 shoes. What does he weigh?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:21 am
lsemmens wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:19 am You are wrong, the answer is 42. Always has been, and always will be.
I most definitely agree, 42 is the correct answer, but I am not certain that is the correct question.

Thanks for all the fish.
Cool, you actually got the point of that bit. Few do.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 am I do not consider it fiendishly difficult, but I have seen it take some people far too long to answer this question.
Which word is spelled incorrectly in the dictionary?
incorrectly.
BenTrabetere wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 am I get depressed thinking about the number of times I have had to explain the answer to this one.
Mike is an assistant at a butcher's shop. He is 5-feet, 11-inches tall and wears size 10 shoes. What does he weigh?
Meat.
Good ones, made me think. :)
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

If Mike's parents have three kids, One is a daughter named Mary, One is a Son named William, what is the name of their other child?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:59 pm If Mike's parents have three kids, One is a daughter named Mary, One is a Son named William, what is the name of their other child?
I heard this as a different question.
You put a penny, a nickel, and a dime in someones hand as you ask the question. Mike's parents have three children, the oldest is named Penny as you point to the penny, the youngest is named Nicole as you point to the nickel, and as you point to the dime ask 'what is the third child's name?'
Something about the coins will distract from the obvious answer almost everytime.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I'll bring this one up again. I posted this a couple of years ago and it led to a lot of discussion. No fair looking up the old thread before you try to solve it. :P

You are on a game show. In front of you there is a wall with three closed doors. Behind one of the doors is a new automobile; behind each of the other two doors is a live goat. You may choose to open any one of the doors and will win whatever is behind that door as a prize. After you make your selection, and before opening the chosen door, the host of the show, who knows what is behind each door, will open one of the doors which you did not select to reveal a goat. The host then asks you if you wish to change your decision and choose the other closed door. The question is this: should you change your decision? That is, can you improve your odds of winning the new car by choosing the other door instead of the one you originally chose?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

slipstick wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pm I'll bring this one up again. I posted this a couple of years ago and it led to a lot of discussion. No fair looking up the old thread before you try to solve it. :P

You are on a game show. In front of you there is a wall with three closed doors. Behind one of the doors is a new automobile; behind each of the other two doors is a live goat. You may choose to open any one of the doors and will win whatever is behind that door as a prize. After you make your selection, and before opening the chosen door, the host of the show, who knows what is behind each door, will open one of the doors which you did not select to reveal a goat. The host then asks you if you wish to change your decision and choose the other closed door. The question is this: should you change your decision? That is, can you improve your odds of winning the new car by choosing the other door instead of the one you originally chose?
Darn you
I remember that thread. I recall being convinced against my will, after all another old goat would fit right in here. :lol:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Hoser Rob wrote:
I guess I'm one of the many who don't. How do you arrive at 42?
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Schultz wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:03 pm
Hoser Rob wrote:
You must read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It reveals the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything is ... 42. The answer will make sense once you figure out what the actual question is.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

slipstick wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pmThe question is this: should you change your decision? That is, can you improve your odds of winning the new car by choosing the other door instead of the one you originally chose?
I do not recall the original discussion here, but I do recall Marilyn vos Savant discussing the "Monty Hall problem" at length. You can improve your odds of winning the car by choosing the other door.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Schultz wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:03 pm
Hoser Rob wrote:
42 is generally correct of course , in that it's the universal answer to everything ( as all galactic hitch-hikers know :) )

But this case is an exception to that .

I haven't seen the true answer come up yet , but rest-assured , it's not 42
:lol:
philotux

Post by philotux »

If not 12 then 8 maybe?
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

zero
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Faust wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 am I'm convinced that there is some sort of connection between the ability to solve these things quickly
and being able to write neat , efficient and compact code ...... [ discuss and debate - :) ]
I like how nobody is actually discussing and/or debating this. ;)
Faust wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 am How many letters would this question contain if the answer wasn't already seventy three ?
Ok, so there's 73 letters in the question, if you remove the letter count for seventy three you get 61. But that's an ambiguous conclusion since any modification to the length of the question changes the answer, thus back to the context of code the correct answer would have to be != 73, but I doubt that's what you're looking for since any of the answers given so far fit that condition. Given the ambiguity of the question and in the context of code I'll therefore respond that the answer is a buffer overflow. :lol:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:58 am 42 is generally correct of course , in that it's the universal answer to everything ( as all galactic hitch-hikers know :) )
I find it utterly amazing that it had to be explained.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:42 am
Faust wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 am I'm convinced that there is some sort of connection between the ability to solve these things quickly
I like how nobody is actually discussing and/or debating this. ;)
Faust wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:52 am How many letters would this question contain if the answer wasn't already seventy three ?
Ok, so there's 73 letters in the question, if you remove the letter count for seventy three you get 61. But that's an ambiguous conclusion since any modification to the length of the question changes the answer
Not to mention fatally wounding the grammar.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Open Chat”